interigator123
TheBear

how guns have changed society

Started: 1/25/2011 Category: Technology

interigator123

Pro

have guns had a good or bad effect on our society?
TheBear

Con

As Pro, my opponent must fulfill a burden of proof to justify an affirmative ballot. In his affirmative constructive, all he did was ask a question without any warrants, claims, or impacts justifying a vote one way or another. Without proof the resolution is true, it is assumed that it is false. Further, to affirm any resolution, there is a proactive burden to show it true. My opponent has not done that and has, thereby, not affirmed.

Contention 1) Guns debates distract from more important arguments such as healthcare or the wars in Iraq. The latter two must be resolved, while the primer isn't too urgent. Therefore, arguing about guns inherently ignores more pressing issues, which is bad for society since other issues aren't resolved as quickly. Thus, with one bad effect of guns is that they've taken coverage away from more important problems. Thus, I negate.
interigator123

Pro

my opponent has stated "Guns debates distract from more important arguments". well how do the service men in iraq possibly protect themselves? with one thing, guns. if guns were never created, we would not be able to defend ourselves from the enemy. so this topic is very important
TheBear

Con

Okay my opponent entirely ignored my first contention. My point is guns lead to us debating about their existence, which is bad since we could be discussing more pressing issues, such as health care.
Here's how my first contention breaks down.
1) Even if my opponent is right, I still have offense that healthcare is an important issue being distracted from by guns.
2) If we are debating whether or not guns should have existed, as my opponent seems to think, it just goes to show how trivial the matter is. Even if this issue is resolved, nothing would change. Even if its effects were wide-spread, the effect of the debate being held would still be nil since our debate is entirely hypothetical. Thus, the topic is unimportant.
3) He says we need guns to protect ourselves from the enemy. First off, we wouldn't need guns if no one had guns, which, as Con, is what I propose. So this is still irrelevant to the debate.

My opponent still hasn't proven why there is a positive impact on his side of the debate, so there is still no reason to affirm even in the most basic way.
All in all, my offense stands and my opponent has none. Thus, I negate.
interigator123

Pro

interigator123 forfeited this round.
TheBear

Con

Extend all my arguments. My opponent dropped every argument I made, and thus it is assumed he holds them as true. My opponent has no offense, all of mine remains unrefuted
interigator123

Pro

interigator123 forfeited this round.
TheBear

Con

TheBear forfeited this round.
Posted by BlackVoid 6 years ago
BlackVoid
Semi-kritik ftw!
Posted by tornshoe92 6 years ago
tornshoe92
Even if that's true there would be more police "Angels" than before.
Posted by TheBear 6 years ago
TheBear
If police officers invested in tasers or bean-bag guns instead of guns, there'd be a lot less of angles, too.
Posted by interigator123 6 years ago
interigator123
without the police you might become an angel sooner than you wanted to.
Posted by TheBear 6 years ago
TheBear
which is why Pro is a police officer, while I'm an angel
Posted by interigator123 6 years ago
interigator123
pro is for guns
Posted by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
Is PRO for or against guns?