shakuntala
Rwicks

how some people use Buddhist insights about identity and reality to imprison other people

shakuntala

shakuntala

Pro

This scholar shows how some people ie feminists lesbians etc use Buddhist insights about the identity and reality to imprison other people

A PROLEGOMENON TO THE STUDY OF THE MYSTICAL ELEMENTS IN the ANTI-ESSENTIALISM IN POST-STRUCTURALISM, POSTMODERNISM, FEMINISM AND QUEER THEORY

http://gamahucherpress.yellowgum.com...

"It is as if the theorists have discovered the Buddhist insights [anatman samvriti] but rather than help release people from conventional reality they infact create propaganda and mind control techniques to keep people from the realizations that will free them from the conventional realities these theorist acknowledge themselves. These theorists from a Buddhist point of view are trying to construct identities based on their ideologies rather than deconstruct identities based upon their insight of dencentered selves and reality. They turn around their insights to use for political and power politics against the people as no more than ideological propaganda to control "

he states
"As we can see the whole edifice of these theories come crashing down if the idea that underpin them is invalidated. All these theories sit upon the one premises that language constructs reality and there is no reality outside language. From these premises all the sophistications of the theorists flow. In effect a small thing indeed from which monstrous growths and tangled jungles have germinated. Kill the seed [the premises]and the growths withers and dies."
Rwicks

Con

A PROLEGOMENON TO THE STUDY OF THE MYSTICAL ELEMENTS IN THE ANTIESSENTIALISM
IN POST-STRUCTURALISM, POSTMODERNISM, FEMINISM AND QUEER THEORY

I am an English Lit and a History major, I've been teaching ESL for 12 years, I teach English Lit and History..... and I still have no idea what the above title means. I am an native English Speaker from Canada, well read, speak and read English fluently.... and I have no idea what my opponent is trying to say.

I would ask my opponent, in one paragraph, in his own words, without quoting, to summarize what this article means.

And no, it is not my fault if I do not understand you. It your fault for not making yourself more clear or understandable.

In your own words, without quoting, please tell me how lesbians and feminists "imprison" people. Please define what you believe "imprison" to be.

Feminists and lesbians are basing their identity on one certain aspect of their personalities without realizing that being gay or a feminist is unimportant to their true selves?

It seems like you have a problem with the concept of "reality." Perhaps this should be a debate about what reality is?
shakuntala

Pro

it is said
"I am an English Lit and a History major, I've been teaching ESL for 12 years, I teach English Lit and History..... and I still have no idea what the above title means. I am an native English Speaker from Canada, well read, speak and read English fluently.... and I have no idea what my opponent is trying to say.

I would ask my opponent, in one paragraph, in his own words, without quoting, to summarize what this article means."

"A PROLEGOMENON TO THE STUDY OF THE MYSTICAL ELEMENTS IN the ANTI-ESSENTIALISM IN POST-STRUCTURALISM, POSTMODERNISM, FEMINISM AND QUEER THEORY"
A beginning critical or discursive study of the mystical aspects ie that humans have no essence [anti-essentialism] that are found in the arguments of post-modernism post structuralism feminism and queer theory

In other words post-modernism post structuralism feminism and queer theory have in them argument that say humans have no essence ie anti-existentialism and these arguments are the same as found in mysticism, and this work is a beginning to the study of such similarities

it is said
"Feminists and lesbians are basing their identity on one certain aspect of their personalities without realizing that being gay or a feminist is unimportant to their true selves?

It seems like you have a problem with the concept of "reality." Perhaps this should be a debate about what reality is?"

it is said
"being gay or a feminist is unimportant to their true selves?
Some feminist and gay writers-if you have read the work- argue like Buddhists that there is no true self -the self or ego is a construction

it is said
"Perhaps this should be a debate about what reality is"

Some feminist and gay writers-if you have read the work- argue like Buddhists that reality is conventional based upon agreement Some argue that reality is textual ie just words So if you change the words and you change reality if you change the conventions and you change reality:

where Buddhist use these insights ie reality is just conventional and there is no essence to humans to deconstruct the conventional selves or ego feminists etc instead use these insights to construct selves or egos

as such this PROLEGOMENON is meant to be a beginning in the study of the similarities in Buddhist ideas and these same ideas present in feminism queer theory post postmodernism and post structuralism
Rwicks

Con

Rwicks forfeited this round.
shakuntala

Pro

I have made my arguments
con has forfeited round 2
thus I must win the debate
Rwicks

Con

Rwicks forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
shakuntalaRwicksTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture