God_is_dead
PrinceClock

human rights is superior to religious laws.

PrinceClock has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 3 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

God_is_dead

Pro

a human rights vs. religious laws and rights debate.
I will be pro and supporting the human rights.
1st round for acceptance
2nd round for status quo and stance,
3rd round for arguments and extensions
4th round for rebuttals and further arguments/stance
5th round for final rebuttals and conclusions of the debate
PrinceClock

Con

I accept the challenge.
God_is_dead

Pro

okay firstly for the status quo, as we know religious laws and right were made up a long time ago according to the situation at that time. right now, after several years passed, many things has changed for better or worse. I believe that laws of religion can no longer keep up with the dynamic of mankind itself, therefore become obsolete.
another thing is, right now there are many situation where one religion's laws are contradictory with other religion's laws. this result in disputes between the two or more religion. we need something that we could all agree on for the sake of peace, in this case the universal human rights
PrinceClock

Con

The relation between religion and human rights is a contested one, as they appear to compete with one another. Religion is often considered to represent a tradition of heteronomy and subordination in premodern times. Human rights emerged from early modern and modern times and stand for principles like human dignity, autonomy, equality.I do not agree that human rights are superior to religious laws. Religious laws were the first things men kept in mind that led them to a more successful economy. E.g, there were many holy churches, buildings and Ideas that helped us become more civilised. Without Religious laws (or something that would make us civilised), human rights would be nothing if there was no order. For example, Muslims(I am not being racist) have this religion where they are very strict about many things. E.g the way women dress, the way women dress is a symbol of modesty and privacy. It was said in the Kiran/Quran(however you like to call it), and it says that it concerns both men's and women's "gaze, gait, garments, and genitalia. In this case, Religious laws rule over the human rights of the people of the middle east; specifically Muslims.
God_is_dead

Pro

As my opponent said him/herself. That Muslims (also not being racist) must dress the way the Quran/Kiran told them to i.e. head scarf full coverage of the body clothing and so on.. but in the modern society, that is no longer needed as all people could dress according to thir desire. Maybe, those headscarf and full body clothing were needed in the time those rules were mad. Therefore the rules were customed for that time and place (arab and middle east). This means in the age of globalization where anyone can go anywhere at anytime. This rules are no longer relevant, due to the different customs and culture around the world. But, in other hand, the human rights has already been agreed on around the world and is more or less conforms with local traditions, due it's fundamentality..

Extension: some religions are very strict in prohibiting things (Islam can't eat pork, Hindus can't eat beef, Muslim women can't go around without covering their whole body including hair and can't even touch the opposite sex, Christian have to go to church on sundays). But in modern times, pork and beef becomes a delicacy. A handshake is important in business deals and friendship. Also some jobs require it's personel to be on duty on Sunday. This proves that religious laws can't be used and tolerated anymore.. so in place of those laws, we believe that human rights should and must takes it place.
Posted by stcornerap 3 weeks ago
stcornerap
Do you feel that Chistianity impedes on human rights? Now I didn't say Christians, Christians are human and flawed myself included. It is impossible to follow God's word perfectly as no one is perfect. Jesus gave us two commandments to follow under which all of God's laws would be kept. 1: to love God. 2: to love people. God also gives people free will which is the human right to choose. It doesn't sound like God's laws take any human rights. In my opinion to choose to love is better than to choose not to love, but both rights were created and given to us by God. Religious laws outside of the direct word of God were not created by God and He can't be held accountable. Then your dealing with the laws of man impeding on the rights of man. I believe God's word is superior to all man made laws including Religious laws.
Posted by PrinceClock 4 weeks ago
PrinceClock
My bad. I screwed up with my status quo. I got a little carried away.