bandnerd67
Defro

humans are fundamentally different from animals

bandnerd67 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

bandnerd67

Pro

I affirm the following resolution in which states humans are fundamentally different than animals, before I get into my contentions I would like the offer the following definition.

Fundamental:

A central or primary rule or principle on which something is based upon

What are the physical differences that distinguish us from our closest animal relatives?

There are some notable ways in which our bodies differ from those of apes and old-world monkeys. We can lock our knees straight, have longer legs than arms, and habitually walk upright, freeing our hands to do things other than carry our weight.

We have a chin. Our body surface is covered in sweat glands that provide a more effective cooling system than those of other primates. We have lost our canines and much of our protective fur -- leaving males with the apparently pointless, but persistent, growth of beards.

The iris of our eyes is relatively small and surrounded by white rather than dark sclera, making it easy for us to identify the direction of another's gaze. Humans have large brains, weighing between about 1.25 and 1.45 kilograms, but elephant brains can weigh more than 4 kilograms, and whale brains as much as 9 kilograms. Elephants and whales also have the biggest bodies in general, so it may be considered fairer to compare our relative brain sizes.

Our brains represent about 2% of our overall body mass (though they consume some 25% of our energy), whereas the brains of elephants and whales constitute less than 1% of their bodies. Nevertheless, the outcomes of relative size comparisons have also not been supportive of humans' sense of superiority. Some shrews and mice, it turns out, have brains that are up to five times larger than ours relative to body size.

Since we get beaten by large mammals in terms of absolute brain size and small mammals in terms of relative brain size, another type of comparison has been proposed that takes into account that as mammals get larger, brains get absolutely larger but relatively smaller.

Defro

Con

I accept this debate, as well as my contender's definition of the term "Fundamental".

First of all, while Pro has defined the term "Fundamental", the term "Animal" remains undefined for this debate, therefore I am under the impression that Pro will allow me to define "Animal" for this debate.

Animal (noun):
Any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicelluar organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli. [1]

Argument:

According to the above definition, in order from something to be classified as an animal, it must have 5 certain fundamental traits:

1. It must be a multicellular organism.
2. It must have a well-defined shape.
3. It must be able to move voluntarily.
4. It must be able to actively acquire food and digest it internally.
5. It must have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli.

Every animal is based on these central or primary rules.

Therefore, my burden of proof for this debate is to show that humans also have these traits.

Trait 1
-Humans are definitely multicellular organisms. Humans are comprised of trillions of cells, which means humans are multicellular. [2]
If human blood is looked at under a microscope, you will see many red blood cells. This clearly proves that humans are multicellular organisms.

Trait 2
-While humans do have small variations in sizes, the shape of human bodies are generally well defined. Our skeletal structure and organs are all relatively the same shape, and can be easily distinguished when compared to other species.

Trait 3
-Humans certainly have the ability to move voluntarily. Humans are able to move their arms, legs, etc, at will. If a human wishes to run, he will run. If a human wishes to jump, he will jump.

Trait 4
-Humans have been known to actively acquire food since prehistoric times. Years ago, humans were hunter gatherers, which meant they actively hunted or gathered food. [3]
-As far as digestion goes, humans have a digestive system in their bodies that digest food.

Trait 5
-Humans have a sensory system in the form of eyes to see, ears to hear, noses to smell, tongues to taste, nerves to feel, etc.
-Humans also have a nervous system. [5]
-Humans definitely have the ability to respond fast to stimuli. If a human touches something hot with his or her hand, the human will feel pain and most likely stop touching the object.

I have proven that humans certainly adhere to these 5 traits that every animal also fundamentally have, therefore humans are not fundamentally different from animals.

Rebuttal
In Pro's contentions, Pro states several examples of how humans are different from certain animals. However, this does not show that they are fundamentally different from animals.

I rest my case.

[1] http://www.dictionary.com...