catman0100
PotBelliedGeek

humans are meant to eat meat

catman0100

Con

i would like to debate this with a pro meat person who knows the facts about human biology.

this debate is about human biology, it is not can we eat meat nor should we eat meat is is are we meant to eat meat. you cannot argue other animals eat meat unless you compare said animal to human biology.

anyone is welcome to join this debate but i strongly encourage meat eaters to give it a go.
PotBelliedGeek

Pro

As both a meat eater and a Biologist, I'd love to debate this topic.
catman0100

Con

Humans have no evolutionary adaptations suggesting the consumption of meat. Human's share 99% of our DNA with apes. Apes diets consist of mainly fruit and vegetation. If you can provide me with evidence of adaptation's in support of eating meat, that I cannot debunk, than I will happily place the victory of this debate in your hands.

Human feature in support of eating a plant biased diet:
1. A carnivore or omnivore's saliva does not contain digestive enzymes. humans however contain carbohydrate digestive enzymes.
2. Humans unlike carnivores have week stomach acid, for herbivores and humans the pH of there stomach acid is between 4 and 5. carnivores stomach acid is much closer to a pH of 1.
3. Carnivores and omnivores have a large intestine that is short and simple relative to there body size.

I look forward to receiving your argument confident I can rebuttal it.
PotBelliedGeek

Pro

I will begin by providing the definitions of three key terms in this debate.

1. Omnivore
Omnivores are animals whose diet is primarily composed of a mixture of plant and animal matter. [1]

2. Carnivore
A carnivore is an organism whose diet is primarily composed of meat. [2]

3. Herbivore
Herbivores are animals whose diet is primarily composed of plant matter. [3]

Now, I will clarify my opponents basic contention, around which he is basing all arguments.
"Humans have no evolutionary adaptations suggesting the consumption of meat. "

I will now illustrate the evolutionary characteristics that classify Humans as Omnivores.

1. Teeth.
[4]
This graphic compares omnivore teeth to herbivore teeth. Note that only omnivores all types of teeth.

[5]
Here is a graphic of the Human tooth structure. Please note that Humans possess all types of teeth, classifying them as omnivores.

2. Digestive enzymes

This is the digestive enzyme Amylase. It is found only in the saliva of omnivores and herbivores [6]. Humans have this enzyme, excluding them from the carnivore class. But only Omnivores couple this enzyme with a medium length digestive tract [7]. Digestive tract classification of any given species is measured by dividing actual length of the digestive system by the length of the organism. Using this method, the Human digestive tract is of medium length[8], excluding them from the herbivore class and including them in the Omnivore class.

1, 2, 3: Amateur Entomologists Society
http://www.amentsoc.org...

4.http://fl1504041.edublogs.org...

5. http://www.pitlochry.pkc.sch.uk...

6, 7, 8: http://www.lhasa-apso.org...

I could expand this argument to well over 8,000 characters, but I am limited to 3,000 and I will have to suffice with this for now.
catman0100

Con

1. Omnivore

2. Carnivore

3. Herbivore
Herbivores are animals whose diet is primarily composed of plant matter. [3]"

many debate about this classification system giant pandas are classified as a carnivore because there digestive track is just like an carnivore. reference 4 ------------------------------->
however the diet of the giant panda is almost 100% herbivores.[1]

the teeth argument. as teeth are used for more purposes than just eating, herbivores can and do have canines and incisor's. "In truth, with the exception of rodents, rabbits, and pikas, nearly all mammals have canine teeth." [2] horses are a grate example of this [5]

"This is the digestive enzyme Amylase. It is found only in the saliva of omnivores and herbivores [6]." note that this does not exclude humans from the herbivores classification.

"But only Omnivores couple this enzyme with a medium length digestive tract [7]." humans do not have a medium sized digestive track we have a large one. note that when measuring the human body you must measure from tailbone to top of head, not from feet. [4]

humans have no adaptations in favor of hunting ie claws. [3] [4]
humans have no omnivorous/carnivores instincts. Dan Piraro "put a 2 year old in a play pen with an apple and a rabbit, if it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple your got yourself a carnivore"
humans do not have the capability to detoxify meat, this is why we are the only animal to cook the meat we eat. Yes it is true that we eat some raw meat this is normally in small quantities.
humans are repelled by rotting flesh, a true omnivore/carnivore would dig in. (it is true that many carnivores will only eat it if they killed it. This is untrue for humans)

humans nor any other animal have a nutritional requirement for meat rather they have a nutritional requirement for what it found in meat. Everything found in meat is also found in a vegan source accessible to people in first world country's, including bacteria in the mouth.

1. http://nationalzoo.si.edu...
2. http://freefromharm.org...
3. http://smmcroberts.net...
5. http://www.horsedentist.com...
PotBelliedGeek

Pro

PotBelliedGeek forfeited this round.
catman0100

Con

as i have rebutted every statement made by PotBelliedGeek, and he has resided against posting more on this topic I feel logic would conclude that i have taken out this debate. unless my opponent can save this in the last round. I expected more from a biologist.
PotBelliedGeek

Pro

I apologize for the forfeit. Something came up, and I am cancelling all debates for the next week, but I will issue a challenge to my opponent to debate the same subject one week from now.

"I expect more from a biologist"

I will say this in reply. You are presenting classic arguments put forth by pseudo-scientists. These ideas are well known in the scientific community, and the science behind them is full of Swiss cheese holes. I will demonstrate this in our next debate.

You profile shows that you are 15 years old, and so I deduce that you are still in highschool. This means that you have yet to study this field in enough depth to accurately understand the science, and I would recommend showing a little respect when discussing the issue with someone more advanced than you in the field.
catman0100

Con

catman0100 forfeited this round.
PotBelliedGeek

Pro

As stated, this debate is cancelled. Please do not vote on this debate.
Posted by philochristos 3 years ago
philochristos
This is an interesting spin on a debate that's usually centered around when humans morally ought to eat meat or not. When you say that humans are biologically not meant to eat meat, do you mean our biologic is such that we are not equipped to eat meat, or that meat is not an ideal diet for humans given our biology? Or do you mean something like, "God didn't intend for us to eat meat"?