iOS 7 is better than Android Kit Kat

Started: 3/28/2014 Category: Technology

iOS 7 is the number one mobile operating system and it has the greatest (fastest) switch-over rate. It runs on the best phones and works right out of the box.

While iOS 7 may be a nice operating system, Android Kit Kat is a supior all around alternative.

KitKat works on more devices than iOS 7. Spec per spec, Kit Kat runs on more powerful phones and tablets compaired to iOS 7, and KitKat works right out of the box with a similar amount of set up as iOS 7.

Android 4.4 Kit Kat has a more open back end compaired to iOS 7 as it is linux based (compaired to iOS being based on a heavilly modified BSD/Unix Shell). This means that users can take full advantage of the additional power in devices such as Samsung's Galaxy S5 and Note 3, HTC's One M8, and Google's Nexus 5. KitKat runs on a wider variety of devices than iOS as Google lets OEM's use it for free or with minimul licenseing requirements. Because KitKat is Android, it can run on multipule types of devices and isn't limited to phones and tablets. Kit Kat can power small ARM based computers, TV set top boxes, watches, augmented reality glasses (Google Glass is powered by Android), and various home appliances such as connected dryers and refridgorators.

From a devlopment standpoint, Android uses Java over Objective C for the foundation of it's applications which can be argued either way, though how Android runs applications is supior to iOS as each application runs as a single instance much like web pages in Chrome do. This my transfer into a needing RAM, though it also means an unresponsive applications won't brick your entire phone. Android Runtime, or ART, was introduced with KitKat. ART allows applications to run more nativily on the various types of hardware and reduced RAM ussage and fragmentation while providing a smoother user experance.

You'll need to use data to back up your statements that iOS is the number one mobile operating system as well as clearify by what you mean by "switchover rate".

First of all, iOS 7 has the best consumer mobile experience rating, with a score of 83.25 while android only has a score of 57.25. This study was done by Pheiffer Reprorts ( in 2013. On iOS 7 (providing it is on a new enough device) is much, much faster with nicer transitions than any android, new or old. As well as that, although iOS does not run on any external devices like android, it does not stutter but iOS truly does feel smooth. Anyone who switches, regret it soon. I have coded Objective C and other C-based languages, they are not that hard, as I personally found it harder to code in javascript. I do not see any universe where android is better, I only see the switching reason that is that they have a bigger screen. That's it.

There is a slight flaw in the study you sight. Their only Android contender appears to be Jelly Bean with TouchWiz on top. TouchWiz is known to be poorly optimized, and thusly, while I agree with idea of this report, their Android rating seems misguided. You argue that iOS 7 is smoother and faster with nicer transitions than Android, providing it is one a new enough device. Having a device new enough to run it smoothly does not mean that the operating system is going to run smoothly and at a satisfactory level on all devices it supports. Almost every Android device I've used has been less clucky than an iPhone 4 running iOS 7.

Every new mobile device I've used in the past year has felt buttery smooth. From the iPhone 5, 5s, and 5c, the iPad Air and new Mini, the Galaxy Note 3, the Galaxy S4, the Nexus 7, the Nexus 5, HTC One the Note 10.1 and Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1. All these devices run the latest version of iOS or Android at this point, and all of them with the exception of the Note 10.1 performed with no transition hiccups at all.

I know many people who have switched from iOS to Android and not felt any resentment or regret, myself included. As for your programming experience, Android uses Java not javascript, it's understandable how coming from C to Java could be difficult, but I figure it's more a personal problem getting used to the syntax differences rather than a complexity of the language. To each their own.

Android isn't all about being pretty, one can get to the file system if they wish, or even root and overclock their device. Android can unlock the raw power of one's phone or tablet. Android is open, apps from any developer can be used, not just those approved by Google.

I urge you to try a Nexus 4, 5, or 7 (2013) running KitKat 4.4.2 and overcome your bias. Those devices show the try beauty of stock, unskinned, unmodified Android. Pure Google in a sense. There are things that can be done on Android that iOS devices could never dream of doing.

laurenjames forfeited this round.

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
Posted by Himoverthere 2 years ago
Hi, I think that the point about people switching is made very well statistically in this article:
The article basically says everyone who likes apple, likes it by default, and people who switch to apple tend to switch from old stupid OSs. In other words, once you go android, you don't go back (no switching to apple from competition line).
Also if you google android's marketshare in the global market, android DEMOLISHES ios. Therefore if you want to make the point that the customer chooses the right product, or if you want to say kitkat is better in that it merges quality with price, android's massive marketshare is a good argument.
Finally, just because I love android so much, I'll point out that kitkat does't even have to be that great; we have more cores, higher clocked processors, more technology invested in general in our phones usually, so iOS is honestly pretty good at closing that gap benchmark wise
Posted by laurenjames 2 years ago
Apple is rated as the best in many areas, including mobile.