SteveJobs
Nulosaur

iOS is better than Android

Started: 12/6/2013 Category: Technology

SteveJobs

Pro

Hey nulosaur.
No definitions, but round 1 is for acceptance.
Only rule is not troll.
Have fun
Nulosaur

Con

I accept your debate, plebeian.
SteveJobs

Pro

Alright plebeian, let's go.

So, here are my arguments
Arguments:

-iOS is more user friendly. There is no way to prove this per say, but it is immediately obvious when you consider the fact that in order to help you understand how to use a Galaxy S4, Best Buy has Basic training courses it offers. This just is a glimmer as to how un intuitive Android is

-iOS has a higher adoption rate when new versions are released. To show this is an article: http://9to5mac.com...

-iOS supports 64 bit processors. Android doesn't.

-iOS is more tuned to the phones it runs on as the company that makes the software also makes the hardware
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware"
- Alan Kay

-iOS apps only need to support 4 major screen sizes (3.5,4, iPad mini, iPad). Android apps need to support thousands of screen sizes

Have fun countering these arguments.
-Steve Jobs
Nulosaur

Con

My arguments are as follows:

1. Android's social capabilities far exceed those of iOS. For example, iOS applications can only share content through specific programs which have access to said content (e.g., Message, Mail, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, etc.). Android, however, enables users to transfer content through any installed application possessing sharing capabilities, resulting in a considerably more streamlined and user-friendly social experience.

2. Android is exceedingly customizable, with thousands of themes, custom sound packs, and color schemes available on the internet. iOS' customization options are limited to the alteration of your wallpaper.

3. Android's file system is exceedingly more streamlined and easily accessible through a PC, a feature iOS sorely lacks.

4. Multiple accounts can be created and accessed on Android, while apps, data, and information are limited to a single user on iOS.

5. Google Now automatically relays your commands through Google, while Siri accesses Bing. Need I say more?

6. Android is capable of loading any MP3 file installed to it without an auxiliary media application, while music on an iOS device must be accessed through iTunes. This results in a much less streamlined and rapid experience for the user.

7. Android possesses superior unlock options, enabling the user to access their device through a slide, pattern, PIN, or password. You can even access a particular app from the lock screen rather than inputting a four digit code and laboriously searching for its icon on iOS' springboard.

(Source: http://www.businessinsider.com...)

Rebuttals:

1. "iOS is more user friendly."

This argument is fallacious, as I have already established that Android is considerably more customizable than iOS and is therefore capable of catering to its owner's every whim. While the default operating system on an Android device may be less easy to use than its iOS counterparts, a knowledgeable and tech-savvy user could easily counter this with a few downloads.

2. "iOS has a higher adoption rate when new versions are released."

The popularity of an item or service does not necessarily correlate with how "good" it is. Let us recall that the title of this debate is "iOS is better than Android".

3. "iOS supports 64 bit processors. Android doesn't."

Again, how does that necessarily reinforce the allegation that iOS is "better" than Android for, say, an individual who doesn't care about the nature of his/her device's processor?

4. "iOS is more tuned to the phones it runs on as the company that makes the software also makes the hardware."

This is irrelevant. There are numerous commercial Android devices which have been manufactured by Google, the most notable of which being the Google Nexus.

5. "iOS apps only need to support 4 major screen sizes. Android apps need to support thousands of screen sizes."

This is blatantly false. As of this writing, there are only four known screen sizes for Android devices:
320dp: a typical phone screen (240x320 ldpi, 320x480 mdpi, 480x800 hdpi, etc).
480dp: a tweener tablet like the Streak (480x800 mdpi).
600dp: a 7" tablet (600x1024 mdpi).
720dp: a 10" tablet (720x1280 mdpi, 800x1280 mdpi, etc).
(Source: http://stackoverflow.com...)

"Have fun countering these arguments."

The same to you, my friend.
SteveJobs

Pro

Counter-Rebuttals
1. By this argument I mean not that iOS provides a better user experience for those seeking very specific items (such as widgets) but rather that iOS is easier to use and much easier to get into than Android. This point you conceded in your rebuttal

2. In the case of software, it does. Because of the multiple Android OS with more than 20% of Android users, Android app developers have to program for every single one of the major releases - which means
-more time between updates
-many different types of an app out there
With many android devices you can't even upgrade to a newer android version. This means many Android users do not have access to the new features of Android, leading to a decreased user experience in android

3. It means that even if device makers were to use a 64 bit processor, said processing power would not be able to be put in use by the device user, making Android lag far behind iOS (in the future) in terms of app design and user friendliness. Again, even if Google were to release a fix, the vast majority of devices would have no access to the update - rendering it useless

4. True, but there are only 5 phones in existence made by google, vs. tens of phones made by Samsung alone. Simple probability dictates that from a sample of 100 android phones, only a few will be google made. This fact is compounded by the "cool" feature of samsung - fully half of the android market is Samsung-based (http://techcrunch.com...). Therefore, Google for all practical purposes can be considered as not having made phones.

5. I said screen sizes, not screen resolution. If we were to consider resolution, there is only one screen resolution in all apple products. Screen sizes are a big factor in designing an app.

Rebuttals
1. False. Any new app you download that supports sharing files across the device will make it possible to open a file through that app (ex. bump, video downloaded +). This is from my own personal experience and therefore indisputable.

2. False. Parallax options, notification options, text size and hundreds of accessibility options. Does android even have parallax??

3. Again, false. Just download this free app called iTunes.In fact, there is no easy application like iTunes for android

4. True, although TouchID is probably going to change that.

5.False once more. Siri accesses Wikipedia, Google and WolframAlpha. Why would Apple design something that accesses MICROSOFT's search engine? No! Apple hates Microsoft. Besides, Google Now does not use WolframAlpha, which is a FAIL!

6. You seem to forget iCloud.

7. Can you unlock your android with your finger? I think not.

New Arguments
6. iOS is following Mac OSX in its footsteps. This means that Apple has a source of info foot how to make a phone more like a desktop. This also means many Mac OSX features are going to come to iOS. Examples include interactive notifications, Power drain info and huge battery life.

7. iOS has one integrated Voice Controller -
Siri. Android has many (S-voice, HTC- voice, Google Now). This means any software updates to the voice controller for Google now or for S-Voice, the new features are not ported over to the other ones.

8. TouchID. Really cool, and really efficient. Top that, Android!
Nulosaur

Con

Counter-counter-arguments

1. This is entirely subjective and dependent upon the user.

2. Yes, but as with iOS, an individual possessing the latest version of Android is capable of downloading any application designed for the current or previous releases. Your point is moot.

3. This argument is contingent upon Pro's belief that 64 bit processors will ultimately trump other processors. As we are arguing the superiority of iOS or Android as they exist today, this is completely irrelevant.

4. "Therefore, Google for all practical purposes can be considered as not having made phones." In what universe can this possibly be true? It has proven time and time again that Google's Android devices are unfathomably more popular than 3rd party devices, even though only five exist. By this logic, Apple could be considered as not having made phones because they only manufacture a handful of devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.). Once again, Pro's point is moot and falls apart upon closer inspection.

5. "There is only one screen resolution in all Apple products."
Oh, really?

http://visual.ly...

Keep in mind Pro said ALL Apple products, not just mobile devices. As the chart above clearly demonstrates, there are 15 current screen resolutions that conform to specific products manufactured by Apple. Pro's point is moot and false.

Counter-arguments

1. "This is from my own personal experience and therefore indisputable."
I find it necessary to inform my opponent that this should be treated as an academic debate in which sources should be expected and required.

2. I may have exaggerated when I stated iOS' customization options were limited to the alteration of the user's wallpaper. However, does that not change the fact that Android's files are accessible through a computer and can be easily modified without the need for an external program (such as Cydia).

3. You seem to have misunderstood my point. Android's FILE SYSTEM is accessible through a computer, meaning that you can modify specific components of the device rather than items you've downloaded. This is not possible on iOS without an external program or modification to the device itself.

4. Again, I find it necessary to mention that we are debating the operating systems as they exist today.

5. This is false.

http://searchengineland.com...

All searches are now conducted through Bing instead of Google.

6. Care to elaborate?

7. By mentioning this, Pro has established that iOS has two possible unlock options, while Android still possesses up to 6. My point remains valid.

Rebuttals

6. This argument seems to rely upon the notion that everyone adores Mac OS X's features, while this is hardly the case.

7. Yes, but how does that necessarily make Siri better? The various voice controllers for Android don't need to port updates from their counterparts; the developer is responsible for that.

8. It has been established by numerous sources that TouchID is incredibly insecure. Take this story, for example:

http://www.thestar.com...

1. Security concerns: There is a video out there showing a cat being able to unlock the phone. How long before hackers crack the security function?

“You know what crowdfunding is?” Richardson says. “There’s a bunch of hackers crowdfunding a prize for anybody who can figure out how to hack this. I figure this is going to last about an hour or hour and a half.”

In addition, it's a solution to a problem that does not exist:

3. This is a solution to a problem we don’t have.

“There are many examples of companies rolling out FTA’s (Features, Advantages and Benefits) just to be able to cause someone to upgrade. How do you get someone to buy iPhone5S? Well, people will say ‘My phone works perfectly and I’m not getting an iPhone5 because I’ve got a year and a half left on my contract.’”

New Arguments

1. Android is open-source and thus far more capable of catering to the user's desires. (http://lifehacker.com...)

"Emulators are allowed on Android, as is side-loading...you can get apps from Google Play, AppBrain, Amazon Appstore, or anywhere else you can get your hands on an .APK file...something that's hard to do (but not impossible) on iOS. On the other hand, the iTunes Appstore won't allow anything with downloadable code (emulators, Flash).

You can change the app launcher (home screen), the default keyboard and Web browser on Android...things you can't do on iOS. If Apple includes it in iOS, chances are you're stuck with it...unless you jailbreak."

As my opponent has failed to effectively refute my previous arguments, I extend them into the next round.

SteveJobs

Pro

SteveJobs forfeited this round.
Nulosaur

Con

Pro was unable to post his arguments for this round in time; therefore, I have decided to oblige and accomplish that for him.

THE FOLLOWING IS PRO'S ARGUMENT, NOT MY OWN.
======================================================================================

Counter-Counter-counter argument:
1. True, but it is important to note that if a company needs to provide instruction classes on using a phone, the UI must be unintuitive.

2. Even if one was to admit cons point (which I will refute later) then you still can't fail to notice that Con has not even posted an argument against the first half of my argument - that app developers need more time to release a new version; resulting in longer update times. My refuting of his argument is as follows. Basically my argument is that most people will not have the most recent software version - rendering Con's point moot (the average Android version is about 3.4)

3. This is not "contingent on Pro's belief" of anything. A smartphone is basically a computer in your pocket and therefore it is logical to assume that smartphones will follow computers in their footsteps.
In fact, they already are. Furthermore neither con, Nero I have explicitly stated in the first round that we are arguing over soley how they exist today. I would like to remind Con that the title of this debate is "iOS is better than Android" and that expandibility is a good indicator of software capabilities.

4. If you go back to the source I gave in my counter rebuttal, then you will notice that Samsung has almost half of the android marketspace, and HTC has a significant portion as well. This leaves google with less than 20% of the Android market. A pretty slim portion, I would say. On the other hand, Apple controls 100% of the iOS market, and as such, is the ONLY company that has to be taken into consideration for iOS.

5. Con must have dug deep to bring THAT one out. If you look at his source, it includes products apple no longer manufactures - such as the non-retina MacBook Air, the iPhone 3GS and others. Also, when I meant one display resolution, I was referring specifically to iOS devices that apple still sells as that is the ecosystem we are debating about. Therefore, cons point is moot. Furthermore, con has FAILED to refute my point throat screen SIZES are what matters, rather than screen resolution. Instead he picked apart my words, sugnifying he have up on this point, but can't admit it.

Counter-Counter Arguments:

1. Con asks for proof. Since this is a feature most people take for granted, there is no article that would show that this is true. To substitute, I have posted a screenshot from my phone in the following photo stream: https://www.icloud.com....... (The first picture) Note that Video Downloader, Google drive and Vimeo are third party apps that Apple has NOTHING to do with.

2/3. Although it is true that an android's file system can be accessed by a computer, attempting to make changes to a phone's file system can lead to disasturous consequences, as it is common knowledge that messing with ANY program through the file system rather than through the program is bad.

4. Again I feel it necessary to point out the fact that I did not say we were solely discussing the OS's as they are now.

5. Again, please refer to the 2nd image in the photo stream (https://www.icloud.com......)

6. Yes, I would. Through iCloud, you can access your files directly.

7. I didn't mention all the unlock options - I just mentioned one extra option android does not posses. The only options that android has are, and I quote con here: "slide, pattern, PIN, or password." PIN and password can be done on iOS and iPS has TouchID. Therefore, android only has one more unlock option, which is not nearly enough to categorize Android unlock options as "far superior"

Counter-Rebuttals:

6. No - by this argument I meant that Apple has software that they can base their new iOS features on OSX features THAT PEOPLE LIKED. This makes OSX almost a testing ground for features.

7. It means that all iOS devices have the same voice controller - meaning that all of the controllers get updated at the same time instead of the user h
SteveJobs

Pro

SteveJobs forfeited this round.
Nulosaur

Con

Nulosaur forfeited this round.
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
Welll basically the end of my argument was IOS App Store is better than android stuff
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
Goddamit I do NOT have time for this
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
Thanks for the patience guys!
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
con has FAILED to refute my point throat screen SIZES are what matters, rather than screen resolution. Instead he picked apart my words, sugnifying he have up on this point, but can't admit it.

Counter-Counter Arguments:

1. Con asks for proof. Since this is a feature most people take for granted, there is no article that would show that this is true. To substitute, I have posted a screenshot from my phone in the following photo stream: https://www.icloud.com.... (The first picture) Note that Video Downloader, Google drive and Vimeo are third party apps that Apple has NOTHING to do with.

5. Again, please refer to the 2nd image in the photo stream (https://www.icloud.com...)

Counter-Rebuttals:

Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
Counter-Counter-counter argument:

5. Con must have dug deep to bring THAT one out. If you look at his source, it includes products apple no longer manufactures - such as the non-retina MacBook Air, the iPhone 3GS and others. Also, when I meant one display resolution, I was referring specifically to iOS devices that apple still sells as that is the ecosystem we are debating about. Therefore, cons point is moot. Furthermore,
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
My Apologies for not posting an argument. Sadly I was cut short about 2 minutes :( I wi post my argument in the comments section ( as a comment train) and ask nulosaur to please mention that in his next argument. Thanks!
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
Hey it would be nice if you guys would go vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org....
It would be nice if you voted for me ;)
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
There wasn't much on iOS though lol
Posted by SteveJobs 3 years ago
SteveJobs
Thanks Max!
Posted by MaxLascombe 3 years ago
MaxLascombe
This debate i was in may help for arguments on both sides: http://www.debate.org...