Lulwa
Kovu

iPhone OS is better than Android OS

Kovu
Started: 12/4/2017 Category: Technology

Lulwa

Pro

Task switcher in iPhone OS is better than Android OS because of the way the task switcher is triggered. In iPhone you double "press" the home button to activate task switcher while in Android, it's very sensitive because you need to "touch" the "Recent App icon" to make the same result. By saying sensitive I mean your fingertips might mistakenly get to the adjacent icons that will lead you to other results and this will make you irritated.
Kovu

Con

Comparing iOS to Android, there are some clear design philosophy differences like the one you've mentioned. The single home button is a hallmark of Apple's simplicity in physical and visual design, but it is a trade off. With this single button either serving as home with a single press, or the task switcher on two, it is less convenient than having the option to access either with one press.

Your suggested problem with Android's typical multiple buttons at the bottom of the screen is that it makes it more prone to irritating accidents. However us humans are good at fine motor controls, and I personally cannot remember missing the app switching icon on my current Android phone.

Moreover, and what I would like to end with, is that I do not believe this is a reasonable issue with modern smartphones. The average size of a phone nowadays allows ample room at the base of the screen for a few ubiquitous buttons, and to reduce it down to a single one is going to sacrifice efficiency.
Lulwa

Pro

Task switcher in iPhone helps in time management when you"re in a meeting for example where you need "Quick access" to your pertaining Apps in order to make quick decisions or say your opinion quickly. On the other hand, where some people use an Android OS the whole process will be a waste of time thus it"s considered untimely.
Kovu

Con

The time difference for the basic use-case of switching apps in either iOS or Android is negligible, either you're pressing a button twice to bring up running apps, or tapping the persistent button on the bottom right of most Android interfaces to do the same thing. I fail to see how it is a waste of time if the processes are so near identical.

In fact, since Android can deal with a double press too, and has the dedicated button, tapping the app overview button twice will switch you instantly to the last app you had open.
Lulwa

Pro

But the problem of sensitivity still exists when you intend to press the overview button twice you may touch the other nearby buttons causing unrelated results to occur. And this may make most of people nervous.
Kovu

Con

I have tried to keep this debate on the topic of your opening statements since I felt that was a better indicator of topic than the title: iOS vs. Android which is a very broad subject in general. I have let you lead with the open opportunity to diverge, but you seem very intently focused on the the home button user interface layout. I will conclude with my final comments contra your concerns of the Android configuration's risks and propensity for errors.

Considering we have focused on this specific area of the interface, I apologise for not having raised the iPhone X interface as a discussion point, which ditched the home button entirely. I see that as taking design principles of minimalism, with the replacing swipe I would expect to be more cumbersome and sluggish than a quick tap on other iPhones/Android. Having basic functions at hand with a single button press follows the simplicity principle of user interface design, simplicity is not reducing buttons for the sake of reducing buttons, it's making the basic repeated tasks clear, easy, and low effort. The home bar does that.

In your last statements, you have again raised worries over making mistakes with pressing (or double pressing) these buttons accurately. I have done a little informal searching for any accounts of this actually being an issue, but I did not find it as one. I could see it pitched as an accessibility problem for physically disabled, but for the general populace this is not an issue. The modern smartphone is almost entirely based in capacitive touchscreen interaction, it has taken off because it is so intuitive and reliable, this is not the age of the early resistive screens you might have to jab at a few times or use a stylus.

On the home bar buttons specifically, button size is no issue either. I was able to find guidelines from Apple and Microsoft about minimum button sizes, but they were given in pixels (44 and 34 respectively), which means they are not a consistent measure for size with varying resolutions of screens. I thus found a study on what minimum acceptable touchscreen button sizes could be that do not cause additional errors (Target Size Study for
One-Handed Thumb Use on Small Touchscreen Devices, https://doi.org...). The three base buttons are already significantly larger than the 9.2mm given as an acceptable minimum in the study, I would bet across the vast majority of modern Android phones. My Android phone's are by my estimate about 15mm wide (it is difficult to measure precisely since they are not visually bounded). Plus there is an unresponsive buffer zone between each of the three home bar buttons, meaning if you miss your button being too far left in natural error, you are more likely to hit nothing than the home button.

Overall, while we have barely scratched the surface of the two interfaces, never mind operating systems, I cannot say the increased functionality available in Android as discussed is a disadvantage. On the contrary, it is advantageous for an efficient user experience and widely accepted across the industry for good reason. An attractive edge for Android over iOS.
Posted by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
@Kovu Nice debate you guys had!
Posted by Kovu 7 months ago
Kovu
Sorry about my apostrophes turning into quotation marks, but hopefully it hasn't destroyed my readability too much.

I'd love a viable third option, but new starters can't fight the duopoly of the two of them on the big stage. The only one who had enough resources and reputation to have a go in recent years was Microsoft. Not only was I (along with the market in general) not sold on them, I can"t see myself placing any more trust in our good buddy Microsoft with their record of practically embedding malware into their OSs like Windows 10. I became eager to find a challenger I could support, but examples like Firefox OS and Ubuntu Touch died out due to lack of interest (I have some hopes for SailfishOS personally). The competition simply isn't there at the moment. Simply put, if you want to leverage a modern smartphone's capabilities you"re going to have to use iOS or Android.
Posted by Kovu 7 months ago
Kovu
@Masterful Thanks for reading. It's my first debate so I didn't know how far to take it. It would be easy to go on and on.

If you want my thoughts on iOS vs. Android, I used to be quite the advocate for Android. I have only owned Android-based smartphones, and experienced iOS through friends and family. Nowadays I have to admit I"m pretty disenfranchised with the both of them.

Performance-wise, for the vast majority of the public"s web browsing, social media apps, basic casual gaming" there"s no meaningful difference. However with Android phones you will get a lot more bang for your buck, I wouldn"t disagree that the brand image of iPhones is a big chunk of what you pay for. On usability, my opinion would be that iOS historically has been easier for new users and the older generation to get to grips with, but today I wouldn"t claim much meaningful difference. Apple have historically had more of a commitment to privacy than Google, and until recently I"d say Apple had a better reputation for security, but recent blunders like the root access (admittedly on MacOS) have damaged that. Presently I can"t say I have a lot of faith in either of them.

The main deciding factor for me is price. However I can"t begrudge anyone for choosing either. The iPhone and communism association is rather extreme. I see your point, but it is very much a product of capitalism. Apple"s restrictions, marketplace controls, protections against jailbreaking etc. they"re all there leveraging profit from customers.
Posted by Masterful 7 months ago
Masterful
So far the arguments in this debate are very weak. I probably won't bother voting.
Kovo, I urge you to check out this source before posting, it has some useful points you can make.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk...
Posted by Masterful 7 months ago
Masterful
I have an iphone and I wish I bought an android.

You see, it's not just that the iphone is typically more expensive, but it's also far more restrictive.
With an android I can use my phone as a Nintendo DS emulator and play any DS game on it I wish, this is not possible with the iphone.
I can get free songs on an android, but not with an iphone.

I'd argue that an iphone is what you'd expect to see in a restrictive, communist society.

The cost of the iphone is like designer clothing, you're just paying for a name. DO NOT buy an iphone.
Vote Placed by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
LulwaKovuTied
Reasons for voting decision: Same reason as SupaDudz's vote!
Vote Placed by SupaDudz 7 months ago
SupaDudz
LulwaKovuTied
Reasons for voting decision: CON definitely wins based on lack of reasoning and X outweighing all. Since the X is abandoning the home button feature that the PRO solely relies on in this debate, that means Apple thinks marketing would A)Increase with this new tech compared to old tech or B) It is more accessible to the user, the CON's iPhone X example that is left unanswered yet with minimum value, PRO will outweighed. DM me for more questions about this debate.