if you agree w minimum wage, employers shouldnt be allowed to pay 2 or 3 hourly to tipped employees

if they were paid more, people wouldnt feel socially coerced to make up for their lack of pay. tips should be gratuitous only. not something that most etiquette experts would argue as necessary all the time (while perhaps making allowances for the most lousy situations)

The reasons for tipping are not relevant to this debate, as the debate revolves around the tip credit.
In states that allow a tip credit, it is just that, a credit.

From the Department of Labor:
"Where an employee does not receive sufficient tips to make up the difference between the direct (or cash) wage payment (which must be at least $2.13 per hour) and the minimum wage, the employer must make up the difference."

So, if one believes that a waitress should make minimum wage, they already do with the tip credit.
If no one tipped any employee ever, the waitress would still be paid minimum wage.

It does not matter if the minimum wage is paid solely by the employer, or comprised between the employer and tips.
It is up to Pro to show why employers must pay the entire minimum wage, instead of a lessor amount, given certain occupations where tips are expected to be earned (i.e. servers).

i might be able to continue debating, but i wasn't aware of that. i concede the debate.

Continue arguments.

how much wood could a wood chuck chuck, if peter piper picked a peck of pickeled peppers.

Thanks for being quick about the concession, Pro.
Posted by DSky25 2 years ago
I do not understand what you are arguing for or against. You need to make sure that your position is written in a clear and organized manner so that people will comprehend the position they are taking.
Posted by dairygirl4u2c 2 years ago
it sounds like you agree with me, with your example of them being paid 2 something an hour an not agreeing with it.

my only point about minimum wage, is to weed out those who think we shouldnt have a minimum wage to begin with.
Posted by HSB 2 years ago
I'm not sure I understand the debate title, but here are my thoughts.
Tips are gratuitous. That is why they are referred to as "gratuity" if it is mentioned on a bill or menu. Customers in the United States are so used to tipping people it may seem as if it is required, but it is not. I was raised on tips as my mother was a waitress as I was growing up, and it was a ready stream of cash. However, if she was a terrible waitress, she wouldn't have expected to get great tips, or even any tip at all. I don't tip if I experience terrible service. I don't tip many people in the service industry at all.
IF your argument is that IF the minimum wage increases, THEN employers should HAVE to pay the minimum wage in order to eliminate the need for tips so supplement income, then I could sort of agree with you. As it stands right now, though, each state in the US is allowed to make it's own laws regarding minimum wage. I live in a state where tipped workers only HAVE to be paid $2.13 an hour ( and I personally think that is terrible. However, the motivation to make more money by becoming the best at what you do (cutting hair, serving drinks/food, shining shoes) could be a good thing. But it shouldn't have to be that way.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gracefully concedes.