dessybruhh
BenJWasson

immigration is destroying america

BenJWasson

dessybruhh

Pro

Whats your position? Pro or con
BenJWasson

Con

I would like to say no, immigration is not destroying America. I will post my arguments in the next round.
dessybruhh

Pro

dessybruhh forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

I will post my arguments in the next round as to give my opponent a fair chance. If they forfeit the next round I will still post my arguments.
dessybruhh

Pro

dessybruhh forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

I am only going to say one point, to be the most fair to my opponent.

P1: Accepting immigrants helps the economy.
This would mainly happen in two ways, which I will organize into two sub points.

Subpoint A - Creating more jobs.
This would happen for both our (referring to the United States) citizens, as well as the new immigrants entering the country. Let me explain.

One of the most common concerns from local people is that immigrants will take over jobs, especially unskilled jobs. Immigrants often lack the skills necessary to do higher paid jobs due to different languages and other problems, so a large amount of people coming into the job market can cause lower wages to fall. Although, this is not true.

However, in the longer run, immigrants appear to create an outsized role in creating new jobs, and even raising the wages of the locals. One of these reasons is that immigrants appear more likely than others to create small businesses, according to The Washington Post.

Michael Clemens is the leader of the Migration and Development Initiative at the Center for Global Development. Clemens says that immigrants are more likely to create small businesses because compared with other immigrants, immigrants are less likely to have a job waiting for them in their host country.

Subpoint B - The National Bureau of Economic Research found that immigration benefitted 19 out of 20 of the industrialized countries they studied. Another study by the Social Science Research Network found that a large amount of refugees going into Denmark led the native workers to switch to more skilled jobs and away from jobs that were mostly manual labor. As a result, many U.S. citizens earned higher wages and received better jobs, even with the immigrants also getting jobs.

For these reasons, vote Con.
dessybruhh

Pro

dessybruhh forfeited this round.
BenJWasson

Con

All of my arguments stand. My opponent has not refuted. Vote Con.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 11 months ago
dsjpk5
dessybruhhBenJWassonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con. Con also was the only one who made an argument, so arguments to Con by default.