SRivers1999
MolecularBird

improved schools - Longer days and better teaching

SRivers1999

Pro

As jobs become harder and harder to find, qualifications these days are imperative. Therefore I think that students should understand the significance of grades and more importantly, teachers should offer more to nurture students and provide them with the help they need. School hours are satisfactory but if we want to improve academically as a Country, and reach our full potential , I think that it is essential that schools reconsider the length of school days. In addition to this, and to elaborate on the teachers influence, I believe that schools should focus and prioritise on the quality of teachers and their impact. Didactic teaching should be encouraged and reinvigorated whilst the time off given to students and teachers should be restricted. Students should feel valued, safe and content being in school longer; and teachers should always emanate cheerful ebullient moods. Rambunctious and cumbersome students should be disciplined, and bemused students should be reassured and fully supported. A combination of improved teaching , an increase in resources and longer school hours should see schools gain credibility, with successful students excelling and reaching their full potential - as they should.
MolecularBird

Con

Increasing school days will not improve the quality of education.

"Therefore I think that students should understand the significance of grades and more importantly, teachers should offer more to nurture students and provide them with the help they need. School hours are satisfactory but if we want to improve academically as a Country, and reach our full potential , I think that it is essential that schools reconsider the length of school days."

Increasing the number of school days will not help the quality of education in this country. It will harm it. The Miami Dade School District is a good example. In 2004 the district extended the school year. They abandoned the extended year in 2008 citing poor results in student achievement, higher teacher salaries, and higher energy costs. We can't just extend the school year without forgetting that we have to pay the staff. We don't have enough money to do this. If schools had to pay the staff more, then the schools would not have as much money left fr supplies, making the supply situation worse. At my school, the situation is quite bad. I go to Hopkins Junior High School (One of the best schools in CA), and the school is not good with supplies. I use textbooks that they were forced to borrow from other schools, and still we don't have enough. In Science Class I share a textbook with my partner because the school can't afford more, and we had to buy our own workbooks for the year because the school couldn't afford there one. What happens if you didn't have the money? You copy the questions on a piece of binder paper. Do we really want this situation to get worse by increasing the school day? Forcing students to share horrible books and use second hand equipment? Remove electives just to pay for staff? I think the answer is no.

Also my second point on increasing the school day is it hurts extra curricular activities. Increasing the school day hurts extra-curricular activities as there is less time for them. I enjoy Soccer, which requires three two hour practices a week, Tae-Know-Do with requires three one hour classes a week, and Debate for which I attend two two hour sessions a week. I also spend some of my time at math classes which are comprised of three one and a half hour classes a week and Spanish which is two one hour classes a week. Now lets do some simple calculations. There are 24 hours a day seven days a week.This gives us 168 hours a week. My school goes from 8:15-2:20, which is about six hours a week for five days. This brings the available amount of hours a day down to 138 hours. It is recommended that a child should sleep about 12 hours for seven days a week which brings the total down to 54 hours. My classes and activities add up to 19 hours and 30 min. Leaving me with about 34 hours and 30 min. Them I have to include homework and studying which takes two hours of my week days up, dropping my total time to 24 hours and 30 min. I have to eat breakfast and dinner, get ready for school, and shower, which takes another hour of my day. Which leaves me with about 17 and a half hours to do what I want. Thats only about 2 hours a day. Not much time to do things like debate on this website, hang out with my friends, and pursue my other hobbies.

The only real time I get to pursue my hobbies,attend camps, , and meet my family in India is during summer. Now I have to worry about Obama trying to take a month of summer from me. Summer is about two and a half months. I spend about a month in India with my family, I spend a month here in summer camps, and the other two hanging out with friends and preparing for school. Now with Obama threatening to knock off a month of summer, what happens to me? Do I still go to India to see my family? Force my feeble grandparents, in their 80s, to endure the 36 hour flight here? Or how about I drop my summer camps and ignore my friends to go to India and see my beloved relatives? I will fight to keep all these privileges. We are not robots who don't have emotions and can continue doing the same thing without a family. We are human, and to be a human, we spend time with of families, pursuing our passions, and being with friends. We don't spend our life trapped within a textbook pushing ourselves to the breaking point for and A.

" In addition to this, and to elaborate on the teachers influence, I believe that schools should focus and prioritise on the quality of teachers and their impact. Didactic teaching should be encouraged and reinvigorated whilst the time off given to students and teachers should be restricted."

My opponent is stating that teachers should engage students in learning in a fun way, and restrict time off given to teachers and students. Teachers already try to do this, but fail. The teachers of today are horrible at their jobs, as I said earlier, Hopkins is one of the best schools in California, but the teachers aren't good quality. For example my History Teacher, Mr. Gales thinks he is engaging us in a "fun filled course with exciting twists and turns". In reality we stare at the clock instead of listen to him. Also the problem with trying to make a course fun for all students is two things-one, students don't find what teachers find interesting to be interesting, and two, no student is the exact same as the one next to him. To me a course filled with video games to teach us seems fun, but my friend Ansh doesn't think that, he hates video games. It is nearly impossible to find a course that every student loves. Also if a student isn't interested in a subject, they won't pay attention to what the teacher is doing in the class.

" Students should feel valued, safe and content being in school longer; and teachers should always emanate cheerful ebullient moods. Rambunctious and cumbersome students should be disciplined, and bemused students should be reassured and fully supported. A combination of improved teaching , an increase in resources and longer school hours should see schools gain credibility, with successful students excelling and reaching their full potential - as they should."
SRivers1999

Pro

SRivers1999 forfeited this round.
MolecularBird

Con

MolecularBird forfeited this round.
SRivers1999

Pro

SRivers1999 forfeited this round.
MolecularBird

Con

MolecularBird forfeited this round.
Posted by Dynasty2468 3 years ago
Dynasty2468
I agree with the better teaching part, but not the longer day part.