remolu
Tylerwhitlock50

in many countries people in sport and entertainment industries earn more money than professionals.

remolu

Con

i said it is bad that people in sport should earn more money than the professionals
Tylerwhitlock50

Pro

First off to start the debate I would like to clarify several things.

"People in Sport"- As a very general term this will be defined very generally. A person in sports should be defined exactly as it sound. Any person that is engaged or involved in sporting activities. This definition can include hobbyists, professional athletes, and even the average Joe that chooses to participate in sports.

Sports- : a contest or game in which people do certain physical activities according to a specific set of rules and compete against each other
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return -Webster Online

1. Now that we know what is being discussed it is time to move onto the main gist of the argument. As I understand the argument my opponent seems to suggest that it is morally wrong or bad for society that athletes receive more money than professionals. First off I would like to point out that this is not true. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2012 the median pay for the following careers was as follows.

Accountant-$63,550
Doctor- $187,200
Lawyer- $113,530
Athlete- $40,060

As you can see the average Athlete earns far less than many professional fields. So the first main voting point is that it is incorrect to believe that the average Athlete earns and maintains a high standard of living. The average doctor earns 4.67 times more money in a year.

2. High paid athletes are not a detriment to society. As a youngster I remember watching Michael Jordan play the Utah Jazz in the NBA Finals. Those games inspired me to begin a hobbyist basketball career myself. Later in life I became involved in biking, snowboarding, running, and weightlifting. The interest I developed in sports was in large part due to the household names of famous athletes. These athletes inspired me to live healthily and continue inspiring millions to improve themselves.

Sports help the economy. Sports related products and services provide jobs to millions of people. The branded merchandise alone has far reaching economic effects. I've met families in Bolivia that survive by sewing and selling knock off Miami Heat memorabilia. Billions of dollars are exchanged on the names of these players.

The Super bowl is a prime example of an economic boost. Millions of dollars are spent on Super bowl Sunday. Millions of dollars change hands, jobs are created, and athletes deserve their commission for facilitating these transactions.

To summarize the average athlete does not make more than the average profession and the One in a million athletes create a benefit to society that warrants their compensation..... Case closed
remolu

Con

remolu forfeited this round.
Tylerwhitlock50

Pro

Tylerwhitlock50 forfeited this round.
remolu

Con

remolu forfeited this round.
Tylerwhitlock50

Pro

Tylerwhitlock50 forfeited this round.
Posted by Domr 3 years ago
Domr
please thoroughly define "professionals". "people in sports" are 'professional' athletes.

Or specify which profession you believe deserve more money.