Loki22
Longline

is Loki pure evil?

Started: 5/10/2014 Category: Movies

Loki22

Con

This is a serious movie debate I am doing for my class ELA project. I'm arguing that Loki is not truly evil. No bad language used please...
Longline

Pro

Hi, nice debate, I will do my best.

I will proving that Loki is pure evil.

First of all, what does it mean for a person to be pure evil?

Well pure mean something that is not mix with another thing, just by itself. Since evil is a turn that we human use do define behaviours or acts that are not fully acceptable to society , therefore the turn evil that I will be referring to are base on Loki's actions as a being,.

My subject of discussion will derived from my opponent's argument. I await.
Loki22

Con

Alright, to begin my argument I will state that Loki has had some deep family problems since he was a young child. One being Loki is always in Thor's shadow. At one point in the movie Thor, Thor tells Loki, "know your place brother," (0:20:30). In other words Thor is basically telling Loki that he is the dominant brother and Loki should know his place, meaning that he is inferior. Thor always gets more attention from Odin as well since he is actually Odin's son which further sinks Loki nto darkness. He becomes timid because of Thor's large, outgoing personality and Odin's lack of equal respect for both his sons. On top of all this Loki finds out he is adopted later in the movie. He wonders why Odin did not tell him sooner. Odin simply states, "I thought we could unite our kingdoms one day," (0:41:02). In other words, Odin was going to take Loki and raise him so the Ice Giants would see his act of kindness and form an alliance with Asgard. This further infuriates Loki and he argues, "So I am no more than another stolen relic. Locked up here until you might have use of me," (0:41:20). Even though Odin rebuttals stating "I only wanted to protect you from the truth," (0:41:29), Loki continues to rage on saying "why, because I"m the monster that parents tell their children about at night? It all makes sense now. Why you favored Thor all these years because no matter how much you claim to love me you could never have a frost giant sitting on the throne of Asgard," (0:41:45). Loki is now in complete hysteria. Why would Odin not tell him before? How can he ever forgive his father? After all the lack of respect, being treated as a shadow and now knowing he has been lied to his entire life finally pushes the young Prince to his breaking point. He becomes evil but he did not start out this way. It it through his families actions that he becomes evil.
Longline

Pro

We know that evil or evil acts is not born, but made, so Loki even as a baby could not have showed sign of evil as we know it.
However as we mature we learn the meaning of good and bad from our surrounding and from our parents.
Loki from the movie was far intelligent then Thor, although he did not know that he was abducted, he had a clear and right reason for wanting to be ruler of Asgard.
He quickly reason that Thor could not have been the rightful ruler of Asgard because of Thor lack of maturity and knowledge of kingship. This very reasoning that he created was the seed of what was to grow inside of him to creat the evil as we know it.

You might reasons that he is rather just using his common knowledge, indeed their is no evil acts or reason to his wanting to be a ruler.

Until after he heard that he was not even a member of the family, that was the key and perfect excuse for him to unleash all that hateful feeling he had been storing inside of him, for Thor and his father.

Instead of reasoning on what it must have been for Thor"s father to take his enemy's child and bring him to his kingdom because of the search of peace, Loki did not, he only thought about himself, yes he was lie to, but the lie was not anything that hurt him physically, maybe emotionally. But if that was the cause he still could have reason that, he is alive, he was safe by his new discover enemies, they had very little reason of saving him, but they did. They clothes him, shelter him, and fed him. Non of these reason came to Loki, he was blinded by his goal of becoming a king. And not even to mention his plane of taking over earth so that he may please his father. He forgot all that Thor's father taught him.

" Loki is always in Thor's shadow."
That is what Loki sees, but was clearly not the truth. Thor's father was actually jealous of his own son, he wanted Thor to learn from Loki, but at the same time he wanted Loki to come to understanding of what it means to be an Asgard guardian or king, even thought Loki was smart but he also lack humility and respect for those that are not at his level.

"Thor tells Loki, "know your place brother,"
Indeed, and Thor had the right to say that, one, he was older then Loki, and his personality Loki was very award of, so Loki knew the things that would come out of Thor's mouth. Two if you are a resident in someone's house, you will not push their temper, since Loki was in a way like a resident in Asgard.

"Thor always gets more attention from Odin as well since he is actually Odin's son which further sinks Loki into darkness."

Loki knew that most attention want to Thor, But he knew that he had won Thor's father heart along time, he need not pay attention to Thor at all, if only he had been more faithful he was indeed going to inherit that kingdom rather then Thor.

"He wonders why Odin did not tell him sooner. Odin simply states, "I thought we could unite our kingdoms one day," (0:41:02)."

Loki: "So I am no more than another stolen relic. Locked up here until you might have use of me,"

Even for someone as intelligent as Loki, don't you think this is an argumentative statement rather then soundable? He knew that he was not locked up, he had freedom just as Thor, he was Treated like Thor, but of course people do not grow up the same way. It's like sponsoring a Child who's parent had been killed in a war, and that chilled grow up without knowing the horror of his real parents death, once he has mature then you tell him, and To your surprise he insults you for saving him. Clearly that chilled just showed you in A very short period of time, that what you did for him, he does not appreciate.

And that is exactly what happen in that scen as you can see from Thor's father next respond.

"I only wanted to protect you from the truth," (0:41:29), Loki continues to rage on saying "why, because I"m the monster that parents tell their children about at night? It all makes sense now. Why you favored Thor all these years because no matter how much you claim to love me you could never have a frost giant sitting on the throne of Asgard," (0:41:45).

You are right about one thing.

" He becomes evil but he did not start out this way."
He become pure evil, not just evil, because the actions that he took after discovering this was something that odin had never taught him. Second his failure to not reason on all the good that Odin and the people of Asgard have how showed him.

" It it through his families actions that he becomes evil."

No, his family did nothing but good for him, his family actually had more to lose, because taking in your enemy and bringing them to your home, imagine how many people must have hated Odin for doing this, still Loki did not see that.
Loki created this evil by himself, and he had too much pride failing to know that this is not even his home, but his home through nothing but love.
Loki22

Con

Loki22 forfeited this round.
Longline

Pro

Ok, I guess I prove my point.
Loki22

Con

Loki22 forfeited this round.
Longline

Pro

Longline forfeited this round.
Loki22

Con

Loki22 forfeited this round.
Longline

Pro

Longline forfeited this round.