Rezend
Pase66

is Pantheism "right"?

Rezend

Pro

I noticed your interest in religious studies and just thought of proposing a debate on pantheism, since not many people know what it is. Also, I wanted to talk about the thing you said about having philosophies from many different religions, which has always interested me.
Have a good day whether you accept or not.
Pase66

Con

Rezend

Pro

First I would like to appologise if my proposal was better for a forum than for a debate. I only subscribed to this site yesterday, and then I didn't know how it worked. I also would like to appologise to any language mistakes or confusions because English is my second language. Thank you.
So, as I said in the comments, I would like to talk about pantheism, since it seems such an overrated and unknown philosophy. To start off, here is my definition: pantheism is the belief that god is everything and everything is god; also in this case, nature and world can be changed for god.
Since in no way is this a normal debate with a clear righ or wrong or even an argument, I would like to leave a few questions instead.
The first one is whether you can be pantheist and also religious (christian, islam, etc) or whether they contradict themselves.
The seccond would be more of a comment, really, it is your opinion on this argument I have seen against pantheism; it says that saying god is the world is the same thing as saying the world is the world, meaning it would have no point.
My third question (actually it is something I am asking of you, really) is what do you mean when tou say you have philosophies from many different religions and how does it work for you.
Thank you again.
Pase66

Con

1.) Questions
This is in the order that Pro posed them.
- I don't think so, because in the Abrahamic Faiths, it makes a clear distinction that God is a separate entity, that he is the creator of the universe, and not the universe itself. But in eastern religions, I see why not. Taoism for example, such as Tao is nature, Tao is everything. Hinduism (Advaita Vedanta), which is non-dualistic, states that you are brahman and brahman is you.

- This is an argument based on semantics and rhetoric. But, if you take the Advaita Vedanta version, you are Brahman, but the highest spiritual state is realizing that you, and everything else, is Brahman. I like to think of it in a metaphorical sense, such as the world, nature, and people are divine, in a sense.

- Well, I adopt many beliefs from other religions into my own set of ideals. Ahimsa from Jainism, Metaphorical Pantheism from Hinduism, parts of the Buddhist worldview, as well as parts from the Taoist worldview.
Rezend

Pro

Rezend forfeited this round.
Pase66

Con

Pase66 forfeited this round.
Rezend

Pro

Rezend forfeited this round.
Pase66

Con

Pase66 forfeited this round.
Posted by Pase66 2 years ago
Pase66
Probably should make a forum post. This is an official debate. But sure, I'll accept. Curious to see where it will go.
Posted by Rezend 2 years ago
Rezend
Where did I say the word 'right'?
It is just debating a topic: pantheism. Is it reasonable to sustain it? Should it be considered a religion or a philosophy? What is it's meaning in today's society? Is there a similar religion/belief to it?
Frankly, I am just interested on seeing others' religious views. No specific right or wrong.
Posted by Pase66 2 years ago
Pase66
Just wondering what you mean by "right". I don't think its wrong...