debateo
Arganger

is being gay truly a sin?

debateo has forfeited round #4.

debateo

Con

i say that being gay is in now way a sin because in the bible god says he loves us even if we sin.
Arganger

Pro

The act of loving a sinner doesn't make that sin not exist.

"In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committe"d shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error."Romans 1:27
debateo

Con

1 Corinthians 13:4-5: "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs." this verse shows that even if it may be a sin that he will still love you and all these hateful intolerant acts against gays is NOT what he wanted. "there is only one lawgiver and judge the one who is able to create and destroy. but you- who are you to judge your neighbor?" James 4:12
Arganger

Pro

"is being gay truly a sin?" That is the title and question of the debate, not whether it is okay to respond negatively.

It is a fools quest to try to bring judgment on them themselves. From the letter of Jude, "But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, "The Lord rebuke you!""

Yet we likely should keep to the point of debate as you set it.

"is being gay truly a sin?"
debateo

Con

Well through this we all hide behind "god" but who in reality is God? God could be real but not nearly as mighty as we make him seem. science has proven that evolution happened not poof let there be light. though I do consider my self Christian I do not see how something that happens naturally with animals is a sin. never has there been a mention its self that being homosexual is a sin. it says man shall not lay with man. not that man shall not love another man or woman shall not lay/ love another woman. and yet there are people putting words into the bible. "love must be sincere" Romans 12:9
Peter 4:8 "above all love each other because love covers a multitude of sin"
Arganger

Pro

According to the dictionary a sin is defined as, "an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law." Though the bible does not directly call it a sin it is referred to as immoral more than once, falling under the definition of sin.

God is to be seen as mighty, he created the universe, and actively plans for our best interest in the long run. " For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." He beat death itself and brought a huge flood over the earth.

Evolution has not, and will never be proven. Evolution is a theory and because (Other than God) no one lived to see the creation of the universe it cannot be more than that. I will not focus on this as it is a very complicated topic we have no time to get in to, and is not truly need for this debate.

There is also no way to say that animals partake in homosexuality, you cannot just ask them and many people view something as simple as two animals of the same sex raising an orphaned animal as proof of homosexuality, but I see that just as proof of individuality and compassion. Yet, even if they do, there is the thing of animals sin constantly, they are just not aware of the sin as a sin as only humans ate of the tree of knowledge. Animals kill each other, mice will even eat each other if they get to hungry, animals have been known to rape each other or injure each other. Do you know how hyenas treat males? It's pretty bad.

Love is a complex thing as well, and it is not just the sexual act shown as immoral in the bible. Remember "inflamed with lust" Love in the bible is shown as a hard, active choice someone makes. No matter the kind of love. And of course remember that the original languages had different words for different kinds of love as well.

Posted by Bitch_Goddess 9 months ago
Bitch_Goddess
Please, someone, debate me on this topic. You all have interesting views and I'd love to debate/discuss them.
Posted by JimShady 9 months ago
JimShady
Uh, I never said being gay is a sin. I said homosexual practices are a sin. If people are truly born homosexual, then yes, they are called to refrain from homosexual sex. Just like someone might be a pedophile, but they are called to refrain from such action.
Posted by Arganger 9 months ago
Arganger
This is under the belief that the very attraction to someone does not define homosexuality or love, but rather an active choice to put that person above your self, and to stay with them romantically.believing is a choice as well, as it is defined by love. The only part of homosexuality that isn't a choice isn't wrong, and that is just being attracted to someone your own sex. Heck by some peoples standards I could be bi or asexual (Though the idea of being asexual is far from a sin) but love is so much more than infatuation,

Love comes in more than one form as well, so even if he believes he could never love the opposite sex in that way, love can and will still come in his life in another form that is just as strong.

And even acting on being gay won't make him "Burn forever" god is very forgiving. If I were stupid enough to say he should burn, then so should I. No ones perfect and all sin leads to death, God covers that and makes us clean so we never touch the fire, including gays. In fact most sins in the bible are mentioned much more then being gay.
Posted by missmedic 9 months ago
missmedic
Murders are aloud to love someone and hold someone. homosexuals must live their life loveless forever, or burn forever. So what should I tell my gay son is wrong with your all loving god, not wanting him to be happy and loved, because there is nothing wrong with my son, he is just the way your god made him? Being gay, like believing, is not a choice. And since making choices is the sin, being gay is not.
Posted by JimShady 9 months ago
JimShady
@Born_again_atheist:

Yes, God loves murders. He hates what they do, but ultimately he loves them and wishes for them to repent. The same with homosexuals.

We are not homophobic, we just disprove of their actions. Otherwise, we are called to love the person.
http://www.desiringgod.org...
Posted by canis 9 months ago
canis
"Religion is very homophobic, if you do not like that leave it in ancient history where it belongs".
Yes even theist will have to admit that they only have those old stories....Letters and really nothing else..
Posted by Born_again_athiest 9 months ago
Born_again_athiest
According to the Bible God does love us if we sin, this by default means God loves the most messed up murderers on the planet, but this does not mean murder is no longer a sin? Religion is very homophobic, if you do not like that leave it in ancient history where it belongs.
Posted by Topaet 9 months ago
Topaet
"Though the bible does not directly call it a sin it is referred to as immoral more than once, falling under the definition of sin."
"There is also no way to say that animals partake in homosexuality"
You need to provide evidence for your assertions, otherwise, you will lose the 2 points for sources...
Posted by Arganger 9 months ago
Arganger
" inflamed with lust for one another"
Posted by JimShady 9 months ago
JimShady
Sex is not the same as love.