ghjv
Sophisto

is being gay wrong?

ghjv

ghjv

Pro

We as a society are always breaking down the barriers of social stigma, recently the SCOTUS ruled that gay marriage is a constitutional right, and frankly I agree. And religion, though it has been a big part of this fight (in opposition) should not and does not hold any legal ground on the subject, because a society that rules its people under one religion interferes with the citizens right to freedom of religion, we all have the right to love who we love, and live our lives the way we want. Because when you are dying, when your life is over you will regret that you didn't live it how you wanted to, that's wasting your time on Earth. But simply; who are we to tell people who they can love?
Sophisto

Con

I must thank ghjv for this surpise. It will be interesting to approach this from a different angle.

The Separation of Church and State SHOULD guarantee gay rights. But legal laws are founded by the recognition of the common sense of our MORAL conscience. THAT is the dilemma. For some reason, everyone's conscience is uniquely contrary to each other's in one way or another. Universally recognized offenses are being eroded, as the Christians would boast.

I do not want the Christians in charge in their current paradigm, at any rate. But I have to differ on your point on everyone having the right to love whomever they wish. Technically, assuming love can be seen as illegitimate for the sake of this argument, sexual deviants DO NOT have the moral or legal right to do what they do. Homosexuality seems to be exempt from this category, though. Since, there is no consent, age or species discrepancy. So my point being, we can tell people whom they can love especially when they insist illegally that they deserve the same rights.
ghjv

Pro

You're correct on the fronts that; one separation of church and state do and should guarantee gay rights. But I do have to ask: are you actually against being homosexual? You seem almost impartial or maybe even leaning towards my way of thinking. But your calling homosexuals "sexual deviants" was frankly indicative of how you feel on sexuality, that being "straight" or heterosexual is normal and that being "gay" or homosexual is weird or wrong socially. That signalled ignorance for me, I debate everyday with people who are strictly against not just gay marriage but being gay itself, I have experience with hard core conservatives but you don't seem to be one. My point is this, simply to say: it is wrong to think of any sexual behavior or orientation as "normal", there is not right or wrong, there is only sex, there is only attraction, sexuality is a spectrum that knows no limits, and we have just begun to explore it.
Sophisto

Con

To clarify, I was excluding homosexuality from sexual deviancy. I was condemning rape, incest, bestiality, etc. as not legitimate sexuality. I would imagine it to be next to impossible for anyone to argue otherwise.

To say homosexuality is "wrong" is painting with a broad brush. It doesn't violate consent, age or common sense laws. Legally, it is impervious. Morally, it has a historical disadvantage of the obvious Christian agenda to suppress whatever it deems inconvenient.

Is being gay wrong? To the Christians, yes it is. But that is not saying much. Heresy has a better track record than the Church itself. But I digress.
Posted by Chrysalism 10 months ago
Chrysalism
harmoniesohpie thank you for speaking up for Christian's. The bible actually has nothing against homosexuality, read here: https://www.gaychristian.net...
Posted by harmoniesophie 10 months ago
harmoniesophie
I am Christian-Catholic and I don't believe that being gay is wrong.. I believe that God loves everyone.. no matter what.. after all he made every individual in his own image. Catholics do not judged gay people.. we believe that they are still people and that we should welcome them with love... I guess I just wanted to speak out for all of the Catholic's out there who are getting falsely accused and misrepresented.
Posted by Hayd 10 months ago
Hayd
according to Christians it is wrong, since Pro already does a defensive argument of religion, its negated. In the end, Pro has many arguments that go dropped, and Con has zero arguments since he conceded his R1 argument later in R2. Thus, Pro sways me to his side, and was more convincing.

If you have an unvoted debate, submit it to Donald.Keller to ensure that it gets voted on. Pm him to submit your votes.
http://www.debate.org...
Vote Placed by Chrysalism 10 months ago
Chrysalism
ghjvSophistoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Title kind of confused me, "Is being gay wrong?" Pro should be yes it is, Con should be it isn't. Even though there was a mix up I side with ghjv. Being gay is normal and as correct as being straight. Also I would like to point out to Sophisto (and ease ghjv's mind) that Christianity is not actually against homosexuality. This is a very big misunderstanding made by most. The most important finding in the bible is: (beside the ten commandments) Love thy neighbor as thyself. "If you look at the original Greek text, what the passage actually says is this: There is neither Jew nor Greek; there is neither slave nor free; there is no male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28" Interesting how it says no male and female. My conclusion is that as long as you love God and Jesus and thy neighbor it shouldn't matter the pairing. "Christ-centered marriage is a good thing, regardless of the gender of the people involved. [1]" https://www.gaychristian.net/justins_view.php
Vote Placed by Cobalt 10 months ago
Cobalt
ghjvSophistoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides argued for the same thing. No side wins.
Vote Placed by Hayd 10 months ago
Hayd
ghjvSophistoTied
Reasons for voting decision: First of all, Pro needs to set up the debate better. The debate title should not be a question, but a motion. Even so, based on the title, Pro would be arguing that yes, being gay is wrong, and Con would be arguing that it isn't. But while reading the debate, I notice it is switched, fix that next time. Pro brings up a lot of arguments in R1. 1) Gay marriage is a constiutional right 2) A defensive argument that religion has no bearing on the subject because that would interfere with freedom of religion, 3) people should be able to live how they want to 4) We have no right to tell people who to love. Con's impact is difficult to decipher, but he seems to say that gay perverts are still morally wrong. Pro responds by saying that being homosexual is not abnormal in the sense that heterosexuals are normal, and that since sexuality is merely attraction, it should be a spectrum with no limits. Con's final round does not have any impact, the only thing he tells me is that(continue in comment