zainman
bat9581

is current day democracy actually good for us?

zainman

Con

The modern day democratic system is in my view not very effective as I believe it is quite easy to fool people. The only criteria for winning an election is get as many people by your side as possible . What is the guarantee that those people actually believe in what they are saying. I don't mean to say that dictatorship is good but that the current day democratic system is defective..
bat9581

Pro

I accept the challenge.

Turn backs:
1. People being at your side is the point of democracy, and it is the point because if in numbers, there is more agreement in the country. The first amendment gives freedom assembly, allowing people to get together in numbers to spread the word to everyone else.
2. Persuasion happens all the time. Campaigns, lobbyists, etc. Also the media is an important part of democracy. The US first amendment gives the people the freedom of speech, petition, and press, all great factors in getting people on your side or spreading the word against the government.

New Arguments:
1. Democracy allows the people to rule. The people get to decide on everything, even if indirect by selecting a representative.
2. Though democracies tend to not last very long, it is worth it to form one because people move in as long as it survives constantly.
3. The rights of the accused protect the people from false and unfair assessment, this keeps the people in power.

I will post more in the next rounds.
zainman

Con

It is not necessary that a democratic election will bring unity in a country . If the people regret their decision (as in most cases ),this leads only to more political instability . People start riots and protests against the government creating unrest .

Yes persuasion is a key factor in getting people on your side but if the candidate persuades people on his side by saying things that he might not actually do or intend to do in the future than the result will be devastating . There is no telling weather he is lying or not and so the media or other parties will have no justification to accuse him of lying.

I do not agree that democracy truly allows the people to rule as after the election the government takes charge of the country and as in the scenario I have described ,the representatives are liars and frauds. the only way for people to present their demands by siding with rival parties or by protests which harms the country.

Sorry I didn't understand your last point (English is not my native language)
bat9581

Pro

My last point explained:
When people get in trouble because they are a suspect and go to court, they have certain rights. These rights include freedom against double jeopardy, and rights to a speedy trial.

Turn backs:
The whole point of freedom of assembly and petition is so people are allowed to protest in case of a bad leader. If the leader gets in trouble, they can be kicked out of office. The president always has limited powers and cannot cross the line because in US the Legislative and Judicial branches keep an eye on the Executive Branch.

If a candidate lies, it can be illegal and a lawsuit can be placed. Especially when the candidate lies about the other candidate or a private company. Witnesses and recordings and media centers can make sure this doesn't go the wrong way.

Protests DO NOT harm the country, and only help. As stated in my other turn-backs, officials can get in trouble and the people can speak their mind. Also as I mentioned, no official has too much power, because whatever branch their in, the other two branches check over them. The people vote on laws, and remember, officials are part of the people. Let's say the President is doing something bad, and the House of Representatives decides they can't let him go, there are several things they can do. These include impeachment, refuse to accept laws, etc. If Congress does something bad, the president can veto and pass executive orders. There are also checks on and from the Judicial Branch.

New Arguments:

Democracy is favored by the people, and each person has EVERY RIGHT to move out of a democratic country. If anyone does not appreciate democracy, they can move out.

We can say whatever we want. For example, you are saying present day democracy is bad. Are you in trouble? Nope!
zainman

Con

zainman forfeited this round.
bat9581

Pro

bat9581 forfeited this round.