Politician
InVinoVeritas

is death penalty a punishment

Politician

Politician

Pro

Rules 

1. You may only troll when things get completely out of hand.

2. No plagiarism; Don't copy someone else's work and claim it as your own.

Failure to follow these rules will result in a 7-point forfeiture.

Presentations

The death penalty is indeed a punishment.
In some cases, punishments are imposed in retribution of an offense.
If they were ALWAYS imposed for the person to learn, then the death penalty
wouldn't be a punishment, as you don't give the criminal a chance to rehabilitate or
change, but rather completely remove them from existence.

InVinoVeritas

Con

The death penalty is not a punishment. It is a reward, because life is cruel and unpleasant.
Politician

Pro

Rebuttal

"The death penalty is not a punishment. It is a reward, because life is cruel and unpleasant."

Can be so at times. However, remember that a criminal makes like so and wants to.

It's a punishment. That type of punishment is imposed in retribution of an offense. Also, it's for public safety. Anybody can be a threat. However, you would be vulnerable to attack even more when bound to the criminal because you would expect them to murder (Act of unlawfully killing someone[1]) you, or rape (Unconsensual, but forced sex[2]) you, etc.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...;
InVinoVeritas

Con

We reward criminals by killing them. They no longer feel the pain and suffering of life. That's no punishment.
Politician

Pro

Rebuttals

I already replied to this. Criminals make life cruel and unpleasant, as you said, and want to. They don't want to be sentenced to death for that reason. It's a principle that governs society. Their act warrants the death penalty. Like said, you are more susceptible to harm when bound to a criminal, as they are a menace; You expect them to do so. They are punished, though, for both public safety and retribution of their offense. They deserve to be penalized by death for committing the same act to someone else. They should come out equal and evenly.

However, death can be a reward at times, like said. Suicide? And for that reason, in particular? You would be rewarding yourself.
InVinoVeritas

Con

"Criminals make life cruel and unpleasant, as you said, and want to. They don't want to be sentenced to death for that reason."

Life is cruel and unpleasant whether or not criminals exist. And I'm not talking about what they want. Whether they want it or not, their impending death is a reward.

"It's a principle that governs society. Their act warrants the death penalty. "

Yes. A murderer killed somebody, giving them the reward of death, and now the murderer should receive the reward back.

"They are punished, though, for both public safety and retribution of their offense."

They are not punished when put to death. They are rewarded, because they rewarded their victims.

"They deserve to be penalized by death for committing the same act to someone else. They should come out equal and evenly."

They gave someone the reward of death, and they deserve it back. It's not a "penalty," though, since that would imply that it is a punishment.

"However, death can be a reward at times, like said. Suicide? And for that reason, in particular? You would be rewarding yourself."

All death is a reward, because life is cruel and painful. The absence of life is favorable.

---

Vote Con.
Politician

Pro

Rebuttals

...

First of all, now, you're being a coward; You aren't placing your claim in public scrutiny. Regardless of what anyone say, you will ignore and still claim what you deem true.

They want to make people miserable, etc. In other words, they want and they do make life unpleasant and cruel. If you impose that type of punishment to them, they can no longer do so.

NO!! Again! Cowardliness! Not everyone experiences much, or even at all, that side of life. So, if you murdered someone, unless they have already found their potential and have achieved their fascinating, and maybe mischievous goal in life, you took that possibility away.

And like said, they want to make people miserable, etc. In other words, they want and they do make life unpleasant and cruel. If you impose that type of punishment to them, they can no longer do so.

I will not reply to others, as he uses the same flawed arguments all over and over again.

I await my opponent's next set of arguments.
InVinoVeritas

Con

My opponent called me a coward. I want my conduct points!

And I won't really further my arguments, because I was able to argue in Round 1, while my opponent was not.

Peace.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
InVinoVeritas
Oh, shut up.
Posted by LukeKrog 2 years ago
LukeKrog
That's ridiculous! InVitoVeritas, do you think that you should decide for criminals what is best for them? How does that make sense? Don't pretend that the death penalty is popular among criminals, that is also ridiculous. We do not sentence the death penalty because we think it is what is best for the criminals, we give it to them to protect the public and show that extreme crimes will come with extreme consequences. I suppose I am pretty funny and ridiculous though Swagmasterpoopoo, just like your name. BTW it is foolish to protect someone who came into the debate with one argument and refused to offer any more in response. And really? Killing yourself over a migraine? I hope you were joking.
Posted by Swagmasterpoopoo 2 years ago
Swagmasterpoopoo
AgnosticRadar I think you voted incorrectly.
Posted by Swagmasterpoopoo 2 years ago
Swagmasterpoopoo
LukeKrog I'm sorry but you're so wrong it is funny. MOST CRIMINALS who deserve a a death sentence would probably choose that over life in prison. That way, the criminals don't have to suffer in solitary confinement. Btw its not nice to call someone insane
Posted by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
InVinoVeritas
we need a counter-votebomb///
Posted by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
I must say though if I was having an intense migraine and the only way to stop the pain was to put a bullet through my head that would be more of a reward than a punishment.
Posted by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
Punishment is something that is experienced: example: a criminal that is made to live in a prison, where every aspect of what they are experiencing is not under their complete control. An experience where what is actually taking place completely contradicts their most highest of desires. Death is not punishment nor is it a reward for both are equally experienced on opposite ends of the spectrum. When the body dies its experience dies with it.
Posted by InVinoVeritas 2 years ago
InVinoVeritas
LukeKrog, that assumes that what criminals "agree with" is necessarily better for them. A criminal's desires do not necessarily reflect whether or not actions against (or for) them represent punishment (or reward.)
Posted by LukeKrog 2 years ago
LukeKrog
I think the con may be insane. It's not really possible to debate what he is arguing. He obviously loses. Most criminals, unless insane, wouldn't agree with the idea that death is a reward. If they did, they would of just committed suicide, and this wouldn't be a problem.
Posted by AgnosticRadar 2 years ago
AgnosticRadar
@Jon, it is a pointless debate.

Capitol punishment is vital in keeping criminals at bay. Without it, murders can walk away scot free when bail is met. When on death row, they know that they are scum bags and deserve it.
Vote Placed by Romanii 2 years ago
Romanii
PoliticianInVinoVeritasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is tied because, while Pro did call Con a coward, Con more or less refused to participate in the debate. All he did was repeat the same invalid one-liner argument over and over again about how death is a reward, which is also why Pro gets arguments. Only Pro cited sources.
Vote Placed by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
PoliticianInVinoVeritasTied
Reasons for voting decision: like I said in comments, a punishment is experienced, and if the death penalty is given instead of a life sentence it would deny the criminal the experience of punishment of being locked up
Vote Placed by Swagmasterpoopoo 2 years ago
Swagmasterpoopoo
PoliticianInVinoVeritasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Con for being called a coward. Spelling and grammar to Con since Pro had a few sentences that did not make sense. Arguments tied since Pro wasted a lot words on refuting Con's points incorrectly as Con pointed it in the 2nd last round. Sources to Pro since he used them. Overall pretty terrible debate. Con coulda won if he elaborated his points.