lord_starscream
mwedwards

is human extinction possible if zombies become real?

Started: 5/21/2015 Category: Movies

lord_starscream

Con

I think even if a zombie epidemic happens, human extinction is practically impossible, for no virus can activate at the same time in each country, so if 1 continent falls, 6 would be prepared with cure research and lockdown. No, human extinction is not possible by zombies.
mwedwards

Pro

Thank you for the opportunity to debate. I am looking forward to it. Here are some definitions for the voters, change any you do not believe are correct as long as you have a legitimate source.

Extinction: Biology. the act or process of becoming extinct; a coming to an end or dying out:
the extinction of a species.

Possible: that may or can be, exist, happen, be done, be used, etc.

For this debate I believe that we should only debate the question "is human extinction possible if zombies become real?"
In your opening your said "No, human extinction is not possible by zombies." This does not match up with the question proposed and therefore should not be the focus of this debate. If you have any opposition to this, please make it clear in your next speech and justify your reasoning.

Thanks again, and good luck!

http://dictionary.reference.com...
http://dictionary.reference.com...
lord_starscream

Con

'For this debate I believe that we should only debate the question "is human extinction possible if zombies become real?"
In your opening your said "No, human extinction is not possible by zombies'
Please clarify. I do not understand the point you are trying to make. How else would the event of zombies becoming real make the human race extinct? If this is pointing towards evolution, zombies are not evolved, but rather devolved creatures considering their slow speed and extremely low intelligence. The conventional zombie horde is portrayed as a pack of slow undead trying to eat humans but being blasted by many weapons.
Plus humans would initially be more in numbers than zombies, as most of the dead would have decayed beyond repair, and in countries where cremation happens there would only be skeletons, which are a different species of the undead, and wouldn't be counted.
Due to large amounts of zombie games and horror stories, nearly all people would know to aim at the head, and therefore zombies can even be killed by the local police. Once awareness raises, chances are uninfected graveyards would be bombed or barricaded to protect the people. Also, with such a severe virus on a global scale all the countries would be researching on a cure, and chances are some resistance drugs would be developed to make sure the living don't become zombies even when infected.
Also, the virus would need to have a heavy amount of climate resistance to become global. With the Earth's climate ranging from freezing tundra to burning Sun, from wet humid rains to sandy deserts, the virus or any other type of pathogen will be wiped out due to harsh weather conditions.
So, a zombie outbreak won't be able to trigger human extinction. I await Pro's counter-arguments.
mwedwards

Pro

Thank you for the chance to debate. This should be a fun debate to have. I assume you do not disagree with my definition of probably and extinction since there was no mention of it in your speech.

So to clarify, one of my arguments in this speech is that there are several other things that could cause human extinction if the zombie apocalypse happened. Your topic "is human extinction possible if zombies become real?" does not specifically clarify that the debate will be only about whether zombies alone could possibly destroy the entire human race. It only asks the question of whether or not human extinction is possible if zombies happen to pop up. The answer is yes because there are several other things that could wipe humans off the fact of the Earth. This is what my first argument, Alternate Causes of Human Extinction, is based off of. My opponent did not quite understand the point I was trying to make, so if they can come up with a logical explanation as to why this argument does not follow with the topic "is human extinction possible if zombies become real?" then I will consider dropping the argument in the third round.

My second argument will be based on the word possible in terms of the topic. The topic asks if it is possible that a zombie virus could wipe out the entire human race, and the answer is yes. My opponent must prove without a shadow of a doubt that zombies could not destroy the entire human race under ANY circumstance. This is impossible because the word possible in this instance accounts for ALL scenarios. I will come back to this point in my argument.

Argument 1: Alternate Causes of Human Extinction

When it comes down to it, there are dozens, maybe even hundreds of threats that could destroy the human population. Black holes, global nuclear war, etc. If a zombie apocalypse were to happen the other threats would not simply go away. There would still be the risk that a comet of another large celestial body could hit us and have extinction worthy impacts. Below are some of these and others with more detail.

Scenario 1: Global Nuclear War: See evidence 1.

Although it is unlikely that a global nuclear war would destroy the human race, the possibility is still there. Let’s first examine the effects of a limited nuclear war. “A nuclear war using only a fraction of existing arsenals would produce massive casualties on a global scale—far more than we had previously believed,”- Dr. Ira Helfand, co-president of the International Physicians for Prevention of Nuclear War (IPPNW). This is because the limited war would have major negative impacts on crop production worldwide, and specifically the U.S. and China. This is because the particles released would cause major changes to the global climate, effectively destroying most crop yields because if you know nothing about plants know this; Plants thrive best under conditions that they have been exposed to for hundreds, thousands, even millions of years. This could lead to the famine induced death (probably said that wrong) of about 2 billion people. That is just a limited war. A full out war using all of the combined nuclear weapons could cause extinction. “With a large war between the United States and Russia, we are talking about the possible —not certain, but possible—extinction of the human race.”-Dr. Helfand. The key word in this quote is possible. Although it is unlikely that everyone would die it is possible.

Scenario 2: Comet Impact: See evidence 2 and 3. (I realize that the 3rd site is about an asteroid, but the effects would be similar)

A comet 25.1 kilometers or larger could wipe out the entire human race. The asteroid thought to wipe out the dinosaurs was only about 10-15 kilometers wide. Unlike asteroids though, that would give us plenty of time to come up with a plan to prevent impact, comets would not give us so much leeway. In fact we would have almost no time to react at all. The effects of a 10 km asteroid would include: Impact with the force of 6*10to the 7th power megatons of TNT. (megaton= 1 million tons of TNT) and need I say more on the implications), super tsunamis (if it landed the oceans), and massive climate change. The dust that would be displaced would block out the sun for months worldwide. This of course means crops, no livestock, extremely cold temperatures, and a whole laundry list of others. There are more effects, but these alone could cause the extinction of humans. Remember that this is just a 10 km object, not the 25 km object that would cause the human extiction. There are some other factors such as speed or mass, but I don’t really need to specify on them unless my opponent wishes me too. I will if they request.

Scenario 3: Technological Terror: See evidence 4.

Stephen Hawking-“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race.” “It would take off on its own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate.” “Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded.” Need I say more?

These are just a few ways the human race could go extinct and a zombie outbreak happening would not prevent these or others from happening.

Argument 2: Possible:

Firstly, let’s review the definition of the word possible: that may or can be, exist, happen, be done, be used, etc. Now let’s review the topic: “"is human extinction possible if zombies become real?" For my opponent to win this debate they must prove without a shadow of a doubt, that under ANY circumstance, an outbreak of the zombie virus would not destroy the entire human race. This is simply impossible because there are almost an infinite amount of scenarios that could occur before or during the apocalypse occurs. The following scenarios are just a few examples. PLEASE NOTE: The topic does not specify the current state of the world when the said zombie outbreak occurs. Some of the following scenarios will take advantage of this.

Scenario 1: 22 Humans Left on a Bus:

22 humans are left in existence and are living on a bus. The rest of the human population has been abducted by aliens. For no particular reason all of the humans have tied their bodies to the seats in such a way that they cannot move their bodies except for two in the front. These two happen to be infected because the aliens infected them with the virus. When they turn into full out zombies they go through the bus and kill everyone, the last humans in existence, destroying the human species. What is the probability of this happening? Almost 0, but there is still a chance, a possibility.

Scenario 2: Everyone is in a Coma:

Due to unknown causes the entire human race, except for 3 on each continent, fall into a deep coma. Just prior the Columbian government had created the zombie virus in the form of a liquid (just go with it) and had shipped vials to the 3 individuals on each continent that happened to not succumb to the coma their fellow humans had. In their sadness, they did not like being alone and did not know about each other, they drank the mysterious liquids and became zombies. They then went into the world and started infecting those in the comas. When the zombies infected them they arose from their comas, zombies. Unlikely? Yes, however possible.

I think I will leave it there. These are meant to be humorous, but they also reiderate the fact that zombies becoming real could destroy the human race. Remember that the Con must prove that in ALL circumstances, not just those above, a zombie outbreak would not destroy the human race. With that thought, I send it onto the Con.

Sites:

#1: http://www.commondreams.org...

#2: http://commonsenseatheism.com...

#3: http://www.astronomynotes.com...

#4: http://www.bbc.com...

lord_starscream

Con

Well, why the font of your argument is increased?? This argument is gonna be difficult, considering the possibilities you suggest.
Rebuttals- Alternate causes of human extinction
The alternate causes won't count as with or without zombies, they are possible. Also, two of your causes will negate the existence of zombies as well (global nuclear war, comet/ meteroid shower) and therefore 'zombies won't remain real' anymore. Scenario 3 doesn't spell human extinction as a buggy AI could be eliminated before user controls are hacked. The AI could also be quarantined in no internet mode to prevent a scenario like terminator. Lastly, chances are that an AI would detest zombies even more than us due to lack of intelligence, and therefore may strike a deal to eliminate the zombies first and later betray and eliminate the humans.
-Argument 2 rebuttals
These scenarios can start another debate on their likelihood to happen. Scenario 1- 'The rest of the population has been ABDUCTED by the aliens. There the scenario fails, as humans are still alive, and considering the defenses possessed by humans and familiarization of the planets hiding spots this scenario has an impossible chance of happening.
Scenario 2 - Everyone in a coma- The scientists would be unable to ship the vials if in coma, and if not they would drink it in depression and be unable to sent it. If the sent all the vials they'll by alive.
I know this a straw-man argument, but something than nothing is better, isn't it?
mwedwards

Pro

I first thank my opponent again for instigating this debate. I enjoyed it very much.

I will refrain from defending my case in this speech because my opponent will not get the opportunity to do the same. Instead I will just do a rebuttal of their argument round.

Part 1: Interpretation of a Zombie

"If this is pointing towards evolution, zombies are not evolved, but rather devolved creatures considering their slow speed and extremely low intelligence. The conventional zombie horde is portrayed as a pack of slow undead trying to eat humans but being blasted by many weapons."

This part of my opponent's speech showed his interpretation of zombies, however was not backed up by any real evidence. Later in the comments bar the question "define-zombie," was posed. (I know it is not really a question, but at the same time yes) My opponent came up with a definition, however the source was from "my head." (so it was actually their head, not mine) I then came up with my own. (you should go and look at it, it's actually pretty funny) In the end I came up with the following compromise: " A zombie is an undead creature (probably was at one point a human) with the ability to run a max speed of 20 mph (the record for people I believe is 28), has above average strength (humans can not use all of their potential strength, zombies can), more acute sense of hearing smell and taste, and regenerative abilities. They like to infect and or consume humans, and would likely move in groups." The point I am trying to make is that everything he said about the effectiveness of human resistance would not be as effective as my opponents suggest becuase the zombies are much stronger than his or her interpretation.

Part 2: Assumptions of the State of the Planet:

Through out the speech I saw several assumptions of what the world is like when the said outbreak happens. The topic, "is human extinction possible if zombies become real?," does not assume that when the zombies come into existence that humans would have any real advantage. For example: "humans would initially be more in numbers than zombies." This assumption is based on the idea that the human population is high, while the zombie outbreak happens in a relatively small area. However, the state of the human population and Earth COULD be as follows: 60% of the human population is under the control of one nation, and the government of this nation decided to infect all of their citizens with the zombie virus. *end example* This is just one scenario, and I do not wish to waste my time conjuring up new ones.

Part 3: Assumption of the Virus:

My opponent made quite a few assumptions about the zombie virus. One example is: "With the Earth's climate ranging from freezing tundra to burning Sun, from wet humid rains to sandy deserts, the virus or any other type of pathogen will be wiped out due to harsh weather conditions." The fact is that we have no idea what conditions a virus like this could survive in, and more importantly this debate did not assume that virus was susceptible to the weather. To just assume that the virus would not be able to spread because of the weather is an unsupportable comment, and can not be applied as anything near truth or fact in this debate. Another example is this: " Also, with such a severe virus on a global scale all the countries would be researching on a cure, and chances are some resistance drugs would be developed to make sure the living don't become zombies even when infected." Although I am glad my opponent used the word chance to describe the possibility of a cure, it does lead more to the side of; Yes! They will find a cure. Same argument applies here, to just SAY that a cure will probably happen does not means it would happen, which leaves open the possibility of a "World Infection" scenario playing out, ending with everyone's death at the hands of the zombies.

Analysis/Conclusion: What I am trying to get at is that this debate was not designed for assumptions to be made, because assumption limit the possibilities. Again, the word possible accounts for ALL situations and scenarios, not just those provided by my opponent. That said I believe that my opponent has failed to meet their BoP because they were not able to prove that under any all all circumstances zombies would not be able to cause human extinction.

As stated in the beginning of this final speech I will not defend my case because my opponent did not get the opportunity to. All I ask is that you the voter look very carefully at any requests made during the debate, and whether or not they were fulfilled. An example from my Argument Speech is this: "My opponent did not quite understand the point I was trying to make, so if they can come up with a logical explanation as to why this argument does not follow with the topic "is human extinction possible if zombies become real?" then I will consider dropping the argument in the third round." Thank you for your consideration.

Posted by emporer1 1 year ago
emporer1
I had a similar debate. I was arguing that humanity would survive the typical zombie apocalypse. If it's typical I recommend that you use the decomposition argument.
Posted by mwedwards 1 year ago
mwedwards
A creature of the undead, in this case because of a virus, that can regenerate quickly, run at speeds of 1000 mph, has the strength of Superman, super senses (smell, sight, etc.), and laser vision. Source-my mind.

Seeing as how my opponent and myself have different views on a zombie I present the following compromise: A zombie is an undead creature (probably was at one point a human) with the ability to run a max speed of 20 mph (the record for people I believe is 28), has above average strength (humans can not use all of their potential strength, zombies can), more acute sense of hearing smell and taste, and regenerative abilities. They like to infect and or consume humans, and would likely move in groups.
Posted by lord_starscream 1 year ago
lord_starscream
A creature of the undead back from the grave, high regenerative abilities, average strength but have sow speed and lack intelligence. Typically seen in hordes and are human eaters. Source-my head
Posted by Palmo10 1 year ago
Palmo10
define 'zombie'