karina_kimep
Ainash

is it important to know more than one language

karina_kimep

Pro

I'm delighted to have this opportunity to join you to discuss a subject in which I personally have a great interestIn. In my opinion it is extremely important to know more than one language that will show how educated you are. Studying a foreign language, particularly starting in kindergarten or the first grade, and continuing through high school, will give you a better understanding of your mother tongue grammar, which in turn will train you to clearly express your thoughts. It will give you strong vocabulary skills and a broader perspective in your thinking. Moreover a new language opens up a whole new culture. A foreign language gives us access to another culture, and our lives take on a n studying a new language, reading other people's stories and connecting with people in their own language can be source of pleasure and surprise.Learning about other cultures will help you expand your personal horizons and become a responsible citizen. All successfull and intelegent people know more than one language. Learning a foreign language teaches you that there are often several ways to express a concept or an idea. No matter what career you choose, if you have learned more then one language you will have real advantage.
To sum up learning a new language has helped me a lot, because I am able to communicate with people outside the country It gives me better access to information, like in the internet, sometimes the things that I'm looking for are not in my mother language, so it's better to find it in English.
Ainash

Con

Taking for account your opinion, most of people can agree with you and your statement. However, I will try to prove that knowing more than one language is also problematic and has negative sides due to some factors.
It is well-known that the knowledge of language nowadays is very important in any sphere of life. But all people just don't see and realize that their own native language is affected by the other ones.
First of all, it is clear that when person knows 2, 3 or 4 languages, he/she just can not know perfectly each. Why? It is logically clear that each language will affect to person's knowledge of another language. Such person sometimes can forget some words of mother tongue, but remember its translation in another language. In such cases person may stay in the gap and can lose, even though he/she knows many languages. I think, it is one of the most popular trouble in knowledge of several ones.
Second reason of why do I think that knowledge of several languages is problematic, it is because the knowledge of "BIG LANGUAGES" (such as English, Russian, Chinese etc.) is too affect to native languages. During the time many fundamental words of one language are changed by the words of another one. That is why there are many languages which disappeared. It is fact that during few centuries 5% of all languages vanished . Moreover, some scientists said that in 2100 the half of languages might disappear by being affected by another well-spread languages.

Some facts from:
http://www.garshin.ru...
karina_kimep

Pro

I can agree with you, both of your statements are right. From my own experience I can confirm that knowing more than one language can be problematic, because some times it is hard to find right words to express my feelings, in other words you don't have enough knowledge to say the things that you wanted to. However there are more positive things of knowing more than one language then negative and taking into account globalization it is highly important to know many languages.
Ainash

Con

Ainash forfeited this round.
Posted by indiramurzali20132938 3 years ago
indiramurzali20132938
I am agree with your position, because when I search some information in the Internet I can have some difficulties with language barriers....
Posted by rajun 3 years ago
rajun
Know what? you should have made the topic for debatable instead of such an one sided debate.
Regards.