yougonnalose
DebateandTheory

is lebron better than michael jordan

yougonnalose
Started: 3/5/2014 Category: Sports

yougonnalose

Con

Led the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships (1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998).

Five-time NBA Most Valuable Player and six-time NBA Finals MVP.

Has enjoyed lucrative endorsement deals with Nike, Hanes, Gatorade, and others.

Played in 1,072 NBA games, scored 32,292 points, and had 5,633 assists and 6,672 rebounds.
NBA Regular Season MVP: 5 - 1997-98, 1990-91, 1991-92, 1995-96, 1997-98
NBA Finals MVP: 6 - 1991, 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998
NBA All-Star Game MVP: 3 - 1988, 1996, 1998
NBA Scoring Titles: 10 - 1986-87/1992-93, 1995-96/1997-98
NBA Rookie of the Year: 1993-84
NBA Defensive Player of the Year: 1, 1987-88
NBA Slam Dunk Champion: 2 - 1987, 1988
All NBA First Team: 10 - 1985-87/1992-93, 1995-96/1997-98
All NBA Defensive First Team: 9 - 1987-88/1992-93, 1995-96/1997-98
Selected for NBA All-Star Game: 14 - 1985/1993, 1996/1998, 2002/2003
One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996)

Since Jordan retiring the second time, everybody has been trying to discover his basketball heir. Many players have been signaled, from Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant to Lebron James, but no one has filled Jordan's shoes yet.
DebateandTheory

Pro

First off, I I would like to thank my opponent for allowing me to partake in this debate.

Violation One: Vagueness
My opponent has offered you a very vague resolution. In its context it states: "Is LeBron (James) better than Michael Jordan". As you can see it is vague because it does not specify what qualities, abilities, and or success MJ (Michael Jordan) and LeBron have or have achieved.

In debate, vagueness is bad.
It is bad because it does not set clear boundaries and perimeters around the debate topic. It allows a debater to use arguments and evidence that are not topical and irrelevant to the debate.

A violation of vagueness is a voting issue and since my opponent has offered a resolution that is unclear you need to vote for the AFFIRMATIVE team.

Since the topic is so vague I will specify the topic. I believe my opponent was trying to prove that MJ has more accomplishments than LeBron James. This would be an unfair debate for two reasons:
1) MJ's career is over and LeBron's is not. Therefore, we do not know if he will or will not accomplish more, less, or the same as Michael did.
2) We should not judge the past or future just the present. MJ played before LeBron so their is no way to judge their talent unless they played one-on-one. This leads me into my argument on why LeBron is better than MJ.

Since their was no SPECIFIC definition of the topic I am defining better as "more skillful". As I stated above we should debate the present. So by the definitions that my opponent failed to define I suggest that in a one-on-one game today LeBron James would beat Michael Jordan.

Contention 1: Age
LeBron is 29 years old compared to MJ who is 51. Considering this the chances of old legend beating a legend in his prime seems very unrealistic. MJ is almost twice as old as LeBron minus a few years.

Contention 2: Athletic Ability
LeBron is 6 foot 8, weighs 250 pounds, is very fast for a man his size, and also has amazing strength. He can play 4 of the 5 positions in basketball. MJ is 6 foot 6 and weighs 220 pounds. He was fast as well but has nowhere near the strength of LeBron.

Summary
Since MJ's age and lack of strength who prohibit him from beating the current NBA allstar you should vote AFF. Also since my opponent was vague and did not define anything regarding the resolution you need to vote AFF. MJ may have more hardware than LeBron right now but since LeBron is not done you can not vote for the NEG/CON teams evidence. We need to debate current situations and right NOW LeBron James is better than Michael Jordan.

Thank you for your time and may the best debater win!
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
I think con won already. Nothing beats the argument of statistics.
Vote Placed by liberal17 2 years ago
liberal17
yougonnaloseDebateandTheoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: MJ is amazing!!!!
Vote Placed by Jonbonbon 2 years ago
Jonbonbon
yougonnaloseDebateandTheoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was actually right in defining the debate the way he did, as it would be way too subjective to debate their "primes" (or figure out what their prime was). Basically, I give pro conduct and arguments for defining the debate and coming up with arguments that flowed through.
Vote Placed by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
yougonnaloseDebateandTheoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: Nothing like a 1 round debate to get our mind stretching! Lebron wishes he was Michael Jordan. Heck we all wish we were MJ
Vote Placed by 1harderthanyouthink 2 years ago
1harderthanyouthink
yougonnaloseDebateandTheoryTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not understand the topic. He made the comparison of MJ today to LBJ today. The idea is who is better in their prime, which Con actually argued.