theloneranger3
Shadow-Dragon

is listening to music good while studying

Shadow-Dragon
Started: 6/3/2014 Category: Music

theloneranger3

Con

it gets you off task
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Debate: Is listening to music while you study beneficial?

Burden of Proof:
This debate requires both sides to provide substantial evidence to support their side. Thus, outside sources and prior knowledge should be used to effectively support one's arguments.

Point of Clarification:
Music, since it is not specified, can be any type or genre. This means that if I prove that any form of music is beneficial, I have effectively supported the resolution and proved my argument.

Arguments:

{1} Study by the University of Dayton

This study, according to their summary, was performed in order to determine the effect of music on the cognitive and spatial processing of students. To summarize, fifty-six males and females were chosen, and were each subject to test while excerpts from Classical Mozart.
The results showed that background music - like the compositions of Mozart- in fact increase the speed of spatial processing, and the accuracy of linguistic processing.
Thus, as the article/report shows, and as explained above, Classical music are beneficial while taking a series of cognitive test, and thus improve one"s neurological abilities when subject to the music.

{2} Article by University of Phoenix

The linked article was written by Robert Pela about listening to music while studying. He mentions other articles and scientific studies in the article, then continues by adding some information that was discovered. Studies show that listening to classical music- called the "Mozart-Effect"- stimulates brain activity, and "provides short-term enhancement of mental tasks- including memorization- known as "spatial-temporal reasoning.""

Personal Anecdote: While studying and working for a long time, I listened to a long track of Beethoven music {3}. This classical music was very nice, and helped me be relaxed while working. I not only listen to that, but I also have a long playlist of music that I listen to. All this music is very effective in the background. Thus, from personal experience, I can say that listening to music helps one work better.

The resolution was: "Is listening to music good while studying?"
I have showed multiple arguments and examples of why it is, and have linked sources for further study. Most of the sources say that listening to classical music is indeed beneficial, thus proving that listening music is good while studying.

- Shadow-Dragon -

{1} http://www.amsciepub.com...;
{2} http://www.phoenix.edu...
{3} https://www.youtube.com...
theloneranger3

Con

theloneranger3 forfeited this round.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Well, Pro has forfeited the previous round, so I will continue with more arguments. Thanks.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

{P4} The studies by Dr. Emma Gray

The article linked below summarized studies conducted by a Doctor/Researcher, Emma Gray, who studied the effect of music on people.
Her studies could be summarized by the following results:
Students who studied mathematics listened to classical music. Their scores were an average of 12% higher than those not listening to music. This performance was attributed to the fact that, "Research found that in order to stimulate learning and enhance concentration, {students listened to classical music."
The article continues with more very-telling information:

"The right side of the brain is used to process original, creative thoughts, so Gray suggests English, Drama or Art students listen to emotive rock and pop music."

""The left side of the brain is used to process factual information and solve problems, which are key skills in these topics,"" says Dr. Emma Gray

Resolution- Supported

I have provided multiple studies throughout the entire debate showing that different types of music enhance the brain's functions, and certain types of music help the student study specific subjects.

{P4} http://metro.co.uk...
theloneranger3

Con

theloneranger3 forfeited this round.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Well, Pro has forfeited once again. I will simply copy my previous arguments, and will give her a chance to make her case next round.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Point of Clarification:

Arguments:

{1} Study by the University of Dayton

{2} Article by University of Phoenix

{P4} The studies by Dr. Emma Gray

Resolution- Supported

- Shadow-Dragon -

{1} http://www.amsciepub.com......;
{2} http://www.phoenix.edu......
{3} https://www.youtube.com......
{4} http://metro.co.uk...

theloneranger3

Con

theloneranger3 forfeited this round.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Pro has forfeited all of her debate rounds.

Pro has not posted for any round, and Pro's beginning statement, "it gets you off task" has been more than destroyed these past few rounds by my argument. For Pro's sake, I will not post another argument. I gave Pro a chance before this after her forfeit, and I will allow her another chance to give her side. If she does not post, Shadow-Dragon deserves all the votes. It's as simple as that. So, I leave Pro another chance....

- Shadow-Dragon -

theloneranger3

Con

theloneranger3 forfeited this round.
Shadow-Dragon

Pro

Pro has forfeited all of her rounds.

This debate has been one-sided, and I have destroyed her side, showing that music can be beneficial in many cases with different music. I have provided support, evidence, and sources for my arguments. I think the winner is clear here.

- Shadow-Dragon -

Posted by Natsu_Dragneel 2 years ago
Natsu_Dragneel
That was not one sided or anything... :D
Posted by Shadow-Dragon 2 years ago
Shadow-Dragon
Hello! Welcome to the site! My name is Shadow-Dragon, and I have accepted your open debate challenge.
I will be arguing that listening to music while studying is in fact good.
Thanks for the opportunity and Good Luck!

- Shadow-Dragon -
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
theloneranger3Shadow-DragonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff.