amygillandoxo
Nuevo

is prisons an effective form of punnishment

amygillandoxo has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

amygillandoxo

Pro

i think that prisons are helping prisoners change in prison by letting them have time to reflext and think about why they done what they did and when they get out they wont do it again, yes some people do get put back in prison after getting out but that is a way of getting through to them that they cant be doing things like that.
Nuevo

Con

I hope you don't get effectively punished by my arguments. Good luck!

I am for the notion that imprisonment is not an effective form of punishment. I have two arguments.

I. Imprisonment does not change a person's view on morality
II. Recidivism

Arguments:
There exists no strong evidence for the justification that a person's perspective on what is good and bad is altered. Inmates will not change for the better just because they are inside a correctional facility for a great length of time. It
Posted by Nuevo 1 month ago
Nuevo
My apologies. There was a little glitch to my upload. I'll complete the rest of my opening round here.

There exists no strong evidence for the justification that a person's perspective on what is good and bad is altered. Inmates will not change for the better just because they are inside a correctional facility for a great length of time. If an effective punishment promises change, and imprisonment does not, therefore it is not an effective form of punishment.

II. Recidivism
An effective punishment promises that an offender will not do the immoral act again. However, studies have found high rates of recidivism among released prisoners.[1]

One study tracked 404,638 prisoners in 30 states after their release from prison in 2005. The researchers found that:

1. Within three years of release, about two-thirds (67.8 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.
2. Within five years of release, about three-quarters (76.6 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.

Imprisonment leads to recidivism. Therefore, it is not an effective form of punishment.

For these reasons, I negate.

[1] https://www.nij.gov...