thatoneguyyouonceknew
AlphaTBITW

is spanking and other physical punishments an ok punishment?

AlphaTBITW

thatoneguyyouonceknew

Con

Round 1=Acceptance/definitions
Round 2=argument
Round 3=Rebuttal
Round 4=rebuttal
Round 5=conclusion
AlphaTBITW

Pro

I shall be using "okay" in such that the punishment is both reasonable and beneficial.
thatoneguyyouonceknew

Con

Spanking has always been a controversial method of punishment. During any physical punishment, the parent tries to associate pain with the wrongdoings of the child. This is not healthy for either the parent or the child. Even if the intention is to keep the child from breaking rules, the child associates the pain with the parent giving the punishment. Oftentimes, this teaches the child to fear the parent. Also, when parents use pain as a punishment, it is very common for the parent to spank or hit their children when that child makes them angry by doing something wrong. When that happens, the lines between discipline and abuse become blurred.
I invite Pro to address the question: "How far is too far?"
AlphaTBITW

Pro

As one who was brought up in rural Mississippi, I know the pain of physical punishment first hand. I shall defend such method of punishment.

When a child does something harmful, such as touch a stove or a hot iron, they learn not to do the same action again, because they will feel pain. In the same way, when a child is doing something wrong, they are less inclined to do that thing again, lest they experience more pain.

However, this form of punishment does not work when a child is inclined to do that which is wrong. A child will weigh the temptation of doing wrong above the risk of getting in trouble. This is why spanking is not as effective when trying to make the child not do things he wants to do.

Spanking should be allowed in the event that the child could get into serious physical harm. I will share one experience that I have had.

When I was 6 or 7, I was visiting my grandmother's for a family get together. My grandmother's house was right next to a road, which was not very much used. I started to venture out into the road, neglecting my mother's directive to get out of the road. A car had come by and seen me in the road, and applied his breaks. He did not hit me. My mother pulled me out of the road and my uncle spanked me. This experience made it so that I never went out into the road again, thus eliminating that threat of serious harm by the means of spanking. I invite Con to explain a more beneficial method of punishment for a child who is continually jumping into the road, and is risking his life.

My opponent asked me to consider the question "How far is too far". It's quite simple really.
If there has been substantial pain inflicted to the point where the child cannot reasonably function afterwards, or if the tool of punishment was unreasonable, or if any lasting mark was inflicted, the parent has gone too far.

Though the case I have presented was anecdotal, I invite my opponent to be honest about his childhood. If he remembers any experience with spanking that diverted more physical harm than what could of happened to him, I ask him to present it.
thatoneguyyouonceknew

Con

thatoneguyyouonceknew forfeited this round.
AlphaTBITW

Pro

Con has forfeited this round.

Vote Pro.
thatoneguyyouonceknew

Con

AlphaTBITW

Pro

Con has forfeited this round.

Vote Pro.
thatoneguyyouonceknew

Con

AlphaTBITW

Pro

My opponent has forfeited all of his rounds. He has not shown us why spanking and other physical punishments are not ok punishments.

Also, I have shown how spanking is an okay punishment.

Vote Pro
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
thatoneguyyouonceknewAlphaTBITWTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Inquistive 1 year ago
Inquistive
thatoneguyyouonceknewAlphaTBITWTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had better conduct due to Con's forfeiture but I agree with Con's stance overall.