TheLawIsOnMySide
Mr.Speaker

is the Federal Government stronger than the State Government?

TheLawIsOnMySide

Con

Welcome! this is a medium to hard debate, so I will be quoting Constitution and Supreme court! this is how we are debating:

1. Opening statement

2-3: Arguments

4. Rebuttal

5. Closing statements

________________________

I feel the states have more power because their powers are all encompassing. Yes, the Federal Government has the Commerce clause, but what the legislative branch can and cannot do is very concrete compared to the states gray powers.
Mr.Speaker

Pro

Greetings TheLawIsOnMySide,

Because you did not do the best job of structuring this debate, I will attempt to fairly and reasonably frame it myself.

Resolution: "Is the Federal Government stronger than the State Governments?"

The answer is an obvious yes, for reasons I will raise shortly.

Before that, though, let me define what "stronger" in this debate shall mean.
Strength shall be measured in the significance of the powers. This is not a numerical contest!

Now, here's three arguments to support my contention that the Federal Government is, indeed, stronger than the State Governments.

1. The Federal Government is Supreme.

Both the Federal and State Governments consists of the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches. When each is respectively compared against its other (i.e. President vs. Governor, Congress vs. state legislatures, and the Supreme Court vs. state courts), it is clear that the federal government is supreme.

For the legislative branch, Congress trumps state legislatures for three main reasons:

1. State laws only affect themselves while Congress's laws affect the entire country. (Source: Article 1, Section 8)

2. Congress can impose taxes on the states, but the states cannot tax the Federal Government (Source: McCulloch v. Maryland)

3. The 17th Amendment stripped states of their prior right to elect the U.S Senate. (Source: The 17th Amendment)

For the executive branch, the President trumps the Governor for two main reasons:

1. The President is the Commander-N-Chief; he operates armies and navies while state governors operate mere militias.
(Source: Article 2)

2. The President's powers, while similar to the state governors' powers, carry greater significance as they affect an entire country, not an individual state.

For the judicial branch, the Supreme Court trumps state courts because it's legal decisions are final.

Everything considered, the Federal Government's branches are definitely stronger than the states' branches. Therefore, the Federal Government as a whole is stronger than the states as a whole in terms of power.

2. The Federal Government has global influence.

This argument is forthright. While the Federal Government can engage in diplomacy, adopt treaties, and set the country's foreign policy, no individual state - or collection of states - can do the same because they are expressly prohibited from doing so according to Article I, Section 10 of the Constitution:

"No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation..."

All in all, the Federal Government's unique ability to engage with foreign policy - while states cannot - reveals yet another convincing evidence for the Federal Government is stronger than the state governments.

These two arguments encapsulate my opening statement.

Thanks for reading; I await your response.

- Mr. Speaker
TheLawIsOnMySide

Con

TheLawIsOnMySide forfeited this round.
Mr.Speaker

Pro

This debate used to be very promising. Con stated in Round 1 that " this is a medium to hard debate, so I will be quoting Constitution and Supreme court!" I was very excited for a thorough debate and I suspect that many other readers had the same feeling.

But Con failed; he has forfeited Round 2 and has refused to address my points. Con's concession is tantamount to surrender. Yet, I deserve to win this debate because of my uncontested arguments.

First, I logically showed how the Federal Gov't is stronger than the state gov'ts by juxtaposing their respective branches. I concluded with what most Americans already realize: National Supremacy. Whenever the Federal Gov't and a state gov't conflict, the former usually always prevails. Consequently, the Federal Gov't is stronger.

Second, I showed how only the Federal Gov't has power to determine foreign policy and how states are mostly excluded from said power. Now, if state gov'ts were actually stronger than the Federal Gov't as Con claims, then how can this constitutional reality exist? Under Con's contention, surely the states gov'ts would have power over the Federal Gov't to influence the world. But, as I have proven, this is not the case.

Finally, I must make an assumption: Con is a troll. Why else would he forfeit? I do not claim victory because my arguments are uncontested, but rather because they are evidenced and sound. Let logic determine your vote.

The Federal Gov't IS stronger than the state gov'ts.

- Mr. Speaker
TheLawIsOnMySide

Con

TheLawIsOnMySide forfeited this round.
Mr.Speaker

Pro

My arguments still stand and await response.
TheLawIsOnMySide

Con

TheLawIsOnMySide forfeited this round.
Mr.Speaker

Pro

My arguments still stand and await response
TheLawIsOnMySide

Con

TheLawIsOnMySide forfeited this round.
Mr.Speaker

Pro

The debate is over. TheLawIsOnMySide failed to address my arguments. Thus, I deserve to win by default.
Posted by Mr.Speaker 1 year ago
Mr.Speaker
TheLawIsOnMySide,

I see that you forfeited Round 2. Do you concede my points? If so, I deserve to win.
To be honest, I am disappointed with you. I thought that this could have been a good debate.
Please let me know what you intend to do.

Thanks,

- Mr. Speaker
Posted by 1harderthanyouthink 1 year ago
1harderthanyouthink
My problem with this is the extremely vague structure.
1harderthanyouthink
I'm thinking about it.