artsaward
TheSilentQ

is theatre an outdated idea that has been replaced by theatre?

Started: 2/12/2014 Category: Arts

artsaward

Pro

I go to the theatre very regularly particularly the RSC in Stratford, I love the experience and think there is nothing better than the thrill of a live performance. However in modern times the number of regular theatre goers is decreasing dramatically and it is very unusual for people at my age (teenager) of going regularly to the theatre. Only 36% of people go to the cinema with 60% of those being professional classes meaning hardly anybody young visits the theatre at all. So, if people aren't visiting the theatre where are they going? to the cinema! 72% go regularly to the cinema with 75% teenagers going weekly! all I can think is why? Theatre may be a much older form of entertainment but I don't think it means it is outdated because there are new plays being written all the time, the theatres are also modern and it is a great experience to see a live performance. Some people may see the cinema as more interesting because of its modern technology but I certainly don't, the technology detracts from the acting and it is no where near as an exciting a performance because it is copy to everyone, everywhere. Everybody sees the same thing whereas a live theatre performance is spontaneous and exciting. It is also much better value, the average theatre ticket in 2011 was $7.93("5.10) and it costs on average $7.95 for a theatre ticket so on average the theatre is cheaper and you get around three hours of live entertainment with high class acting whereas a film is just a copy that has been so enhanced it isn't real acting at all. Plus a DVD is just a few pounds more! I also think that the theatre is a much more personal experience and you feel more included, not just an audience member but part of the play. I think that theatre is being replaced because of the younger generation not being taken there and also thinking that it isn't cool to do, this puts them off. Also they think that they have to be of a certain class to go to the theatre which they don't and they are put off by that as well. I think it is vital that the theatre keeps going because it is such an important part of our culture. It isn't outdated it is modern and evolving everyday. If you don't think that theatre is important then how do you know who Shakespeare is? He is much more famous than any film director could ever be.
TheSilentQ

Con

Hello there. I'm glad we'll be debating together, and look forward to it. However before I start... I'd just like to know if, because I am con and you are pro, that I am fighting against theatre NOT being an outdated idea?
artsaward

Pro

Sorry it was meant to be against cinema! I believe that theatre is excellent and that it is a very good form of entertainment but it is now outdated because people no longer go as much as they used to and playwrights aren't as famous as they used to be! I think it is a shame and I noticed that far more people are going to the cinema and saying it is better, but it is much worse value and the show is far more impersonal! It is dying out and I think that is a complete shame! We need the younger generation to understand theatre more. At schools theatre isn't taught in an exciting way so children don't think it is a good art form but I believe the younger generation needs to be shown how brilliant it is!
TheSilentQ

Con

Ah, well okay then.. While I do agree that theater, or 'theatre', is a dying art form and isn't appreciated enough (I myself love catching plays and musicals when I'm able to), I must disagree on it needing to be preserved. If people no longer wish to see live performances every other day, then so be it. Time moves on, and stands still for no one.

I'd like to point out that while it is a part of our culture, that doesn't automatically put it in a category of importance. Slavery was once a part of Western culture, as was nativism, imperialism, and feelings of hate towards immigrants (which, admittedly, we still sort of have). So, something that was once, or still is, a part of our culture, is not necessarily something we should keep around and cherish.

English teachers are partially to blame, considering most of them refuse to teach anything with a bit of excitement. My teacher this year hated our poetry unit, didn't allow us to read poems we wrote for the assignments, and made us listen to the monotone tape for every short story in our textbook. Which... Was painful. I actually like reading and writing, so if even I wanted to commit internal suicide and become a vegetable, you can imagine how completely devastated and bored to absolute death the rest of my classmates were.

Now... Shakespeare is not well known because he was a wonderful playwright. Most people only know him because the name is drilled into their brain all throughout their educational years. It is not a matter of theater being 'important'. It's a matter of retaining information you've been told over and over again. I could tell you every ridiculous thing Romeo and Juliet did together, because that's all teachers ever made us read and watch in school. And Hitler is also another thing they will not let us forget. It is drilled into our brains in every history class, every year. Does that mean Nazism is important? Perhaps to remember, but to continue it simply because it was once on such a large scale and was a dominating part of a culture, would not make very much sense.

It is unfortunate that theater is dying, but if movies are preferred, there is nothing to be done about it. It is outdated, and most likely will be completely obsolete soon enough what with them getting closer to creating a way to bring you more into the movie (shaking chairs and simulators-- we already have it, but it could be so much better with a little more work). Again, it's unfortunate, but true.
artsaward

Pro

You make some very strong points but surely theatre is a part of our culture worth preserving? There is always talk about how our industries are dying out and the great shame of how it is moving to china and that is part of our culture just as mcihvas theatre so why shouldn't we be worried about theatre?
The uk are so accepting of all art forms and there are amazing theatre schools and thwarted around the country, so surely it is worth keeping?
The cinema is having more viewers but is that something worth preserving, cinema has existed for nowhere near as long as theatre and with new technology it will be replaced but theatre can't be and it is still being performed so surely it is worth preserving!
TheSilentQ

Con

TheSilentQ forfeited this round.
artsaward

Pro

artsaward forfeited this round.
TheSilentQ

Con

TheSilentQ forfeited this round.
artsaward

Pro

artsaward forfeited this round.
TheSilentQ

Con

TheSilentQ forfeited this round.
Posted by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
You might want to check your resolution...