chassity
Cowboy0108

is there an alternative for prison

Started: 4/2/2013 Category: Economics

chassity

Con

why should we give the heartless people in this world any other option but prison? Prison is the only way of ensuring that criminals are taken out of circulation. Alternatives to prison, by their very nature, are riskier. The offender is, after all, still 'on the street', and the public are still at risk of re offending the offender. also,Prison is an immediate, easily understood punishment. Following the sentence, the convicted criminal is immediately escorted out of the courtroom, placed in the prison van and to be taken behind the high walls of the prison. No other sentence is seen to have this immediacy. why would you want to risk the person escaping because action was taken right then and there.
Cowboy0108

Pro

Yes there is an alternative for prison.
1. I support an Andersonville style prison or at least one where people grow their own food, build their own shelters, and clean their own bathrooms. I believe that, if we do have prisons, there would be no indoor rooms.
2. I support bring back the noose, murderers should be killed.
3. I support labor camps like concentration camps...prisoners work on weapons for the military, grow food for the military, or do other hard tasks.(I am not saying kill the Jews with the concentration camp comparison).
These are what I think should be done for the punishment of prisoners. I think it would be more effective if the state gave the non murdering or raping offenders the choice of these punishments. Murderers and rapists get option 2... no exceptions.
chassity

Con

why would you want a prisoner such as a murderer handling a military weapon when you could have a civilian do it? why would you give jobs to a prisoner when a civilian who is way more trust worthy and is in much more need of a job than the prisoner? having them put in a concentration camp is most certainly not the way to go when it comes to offenders of the law. and what would killing the murderer get you? What would that make you? A murderer? why would you stoop to that level of cruelty? That would make you just as convict-able as the guy/ girl you killed wouldn't it? What is killing them going to do? will it make you feel better when you sleep at night? every one deserves another chance. even someone who has killed someone can change. for all you know the person you just killed could have gone to prison and became a christian but now they wont ever have the chance because you wanted to be childish and kill them instead of putting them in jail.
Cowboy0108

Pro

Refutal
1. Why would you want to raise the cost of the military by paying employees
2. Prisoners harming people with the weapons is unlikely because of the security of the military buildings would make it almost impossible to steal a gun. Furthermore, the ammo and guns are manufactured seperately.
3. Having prisoners put in a concentration camp does not mean that they die. It means that they have to do hard work in bad conditions.
4. Killing the murderers and rapists mean that the government no longer has to feed someone who does not deserve life.
5. You claim that someone who has killed can change. Fine, you pay for all the meals and supplies and care for the criminal for twenty to thirty years, because you do. You pay through taxes. Furthermore, if prison was really about reform instead of revenge, people would not be in prison for thirty years so that their life would basically be over when they get out of prison. I say make the prisoners work hard and care for themselves and make the prison terms dramatically shorter. Then:
1.The people would get a service from the prisoners.
2. It wuld cost far less
3. Prison would be about reforming prisoners instead of just keeping them in a cage until they are about to die.
4. deter people from comitting crimes(would you rather go to a prison with tv's in every cell or be put to hard long labor and be dramatically be limited on food?)

How could you call me childish for not wanting to feed a murderer for twenty plus years?
chassity

Con

So what you are saying is that you would rather give prisoners the right to a job before you would offer it to a citizen who has done no wrong? you would rather them be homeless and jobless all because you have a problem with them living a good life? And yes everyone can change. Your profile says you are a Christian. if you really are a Christian you would know that God knows everyone can change. I'm not saying that everyone who goes to jail will change but I am saying that some will. What if God were to watch you screw up time after time and he said "oh they don't deserve to live a good life. I'm going to take their home away from them and make them suffer for years and years."? if you don't want God doing that to you why do it to others? GIVE JOBS TO THE CIVILIAN NOT THE PRISONERS!
Cowboy0108

Pro

Though I understand where you are coming from, you have overlooked some of my claims. I would also like to say that it is not the government's job to provide jobs and this new system for prisons would reduce the cost of the military, thus benefiting the nation as a whole. Furthermore, I did not say to make them suffer for years and years. I said to kill the murderers and rapists because they took a life and should have theirs taken. I also believe that prison sentences should be shortened. Punish them, make them never want to commit a crime again, and release them after a couple of years. Prison would be more effective and would be more about the reform of prisoners than punishment. Prison would also be cheaper. Look at pictures of Andersonville. They built their own huts and everything. All the prison needed were armed guards and a method of feeding the prisoners two to three times a day.

In addition, I noticed a contradiction. At first, you were calling them heartless criminals and now you are calling them people who can change. It is like your view of convicts changed within the course of a couple of days.

Vote for me because my methods provide cheaper prisons, reduce expenditures, and reform prisoners at the same time.
Posted by chassity 4 years ago
chassity
yes
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Does the death penalty count as an alternative?