xxx200
Hardcore.Pwnography

is there any limitation of mathmetics

Hardcore.Pwnography

xxx200

Pro

i am pro. i will argue that there is limitation of math. con will argue there are no limit of math.

math= Mathematics (from Greek μάθημα máthēma "knowledge, study, learning") is the study of quantity, structure, space, and change.[2]

limit= uselessness

first round acceptance, 2nd and 3rd arguments, 4th rebuttal and 5th conclusion.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

I accept. I will argue that math is always useful, there is no uselessness in math.
xxx200

Pro

math can only be used in the field where things can be quantified.

quantification means 2 things: a number and a unit e.g. 2 kg etc.

but there are things which cannot be quantified. for example emotion, mind, space, sky. inthese field math can't help because these things can't be quantified.this is the limitation of math.

Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

What Pro is saying is not true.

Pro assumes that Math can only be used in the field where things can be quantified, however, I will prove that math can be used in these situations as well. If I can do that, than I have won this debate.

I agree that math can be used in the field where things can be quantified. However, I disagree when Pro says "only".

Let's look at emotion.

You can use math to calculate emotion. For example, I say something incredibly mean to you 100 times, on separate occasions. I record your emotions, how many times you got mad. Let's say that you got mad 90% of those times.

Therefore, on the next time I say the same mean thing to you, I know there is a 90% chance that you will get mad. Math can be used to calculate emotion.

I don't understand what you mean by mind, but I'm sure you can use your mind to do math calculations. I can do 1+1 in my head, I'm using my mind to do math.

Space. You can use math to calculate space. For example, the distance in light years from one planet to another. That is math.

Sky. You can calcuate the volume of air in one section of the sky, make an estimate on the size of the sky by the size of the Earth, and multiply those together.

Anything can be calculated with math. You can use math for everything. I challenge Pro to come up with a situation where you cannot use math to find, and then prove that.

Therefore I have won this debate.
xxx200

Pro

1] Let's look at emotion.

dear con i am saying can emotion be quantified? i didn't say that times of occurance of emotion, i said EMOTION Iitself. can you say 2 kg of love is mixed with 4mg of hate to give 50 kg of anger?

2] I don't understand what you mean by mind, but I'm sure you can use your mind to do math calculations. I can do 1+1 in my head, I'm using my mind to do math.

no sir i said can MIND itself be quantified ? i didn't say what we can do with our mind.

3] Space. You can use math to calculate space. For example, the distance in light years from one planet to another. That is math.

again,the same thing. space is not distance between stars. space is the EMPTY SPACE.

4] Sky. You can calcuate the volume of air in one section of the sky, make an estimate on the size of the sky by the size of the Earth, and multiply those together.

again con, sky is the blue object over our head. it is not volume of air. can sky be quantified?

i don't think so.

Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Now, Pro seems to have changed the resolution on me.
Let me remind all that the resolution is "is there any limitation on mathematics", limations meaning uselessness.

Therefore, Pro must argue that there are limits on math, that math is useless in some cases, we are not arguing the resolution "can math only be used on quantifiable things?"

I argue that you can use math in all circumstances, there is no one circumstance where math cannot be used. And Pro has not responded to my challenge, he has not found me one circumstance where math cannot be used.

So let's set this debate back on track.

Emotion

First, 2kg + 4mg does not equal anywhere near 50kg, so no it would not give 50kg of anger. And furthermore, it does not matter if emotion can or cannot be quantified.

To support this argument, Pro must argue that math is useless in calculating emotion, as I remind you again: the resolution is "is there any limitation on mathematics.", meaning there is a limit to math, math cannot be used to calculate everything.

I have proven before that math can be used to calculate emotion, and pro has not contested that.

Also, yes, actually in response to that point. You can have multiple emotions at once. I can feel disappointed and angry at the same time. I can feel 2 emotions at once.

Furthermore, some emotions are a mix of other emotions. For example, the emotion estatic, is a mixture of the emotions excited and happy.

Therefore, Pro has lost on this point

Mind

Again with the quantifiable stuff. To support this argument, Pro must prove that math cannot be used to calculate minds.

Well, indeed it can.

The measure of intelligence, or the power of the mind, is done through math, through an IQ test. Your scores are then added up with math, to determine your IQ, your mind.

Also, you can have 2 minds working on the same task. If you work with a partner on a project, you have 2 minds working on the project. If someone else helps you, you add 1 mind, with math, to your previous number. You now have 3 minds working on the project.

Therefore, you can use math to calculate minds.

Space

Space is empty space. Well, you can use math to calculate that too.

Say you have an empty container. How do you calculate the space of that container? Using volume. Since the container is empty, the volume is 0cm cubed. When it is full, it might be 500cm cubed full of water. You can determine volume by multiplying the area of the base by the height.

Therefore, you can calculate space.

Sky

I don't know what's over your head, but over my head is a ceiling, haha.

Actually, sky is volume of air. The sky consists of various sections, like the atmosphere. You can measure the volume and density of air, the amount of gases, etc. in the atmosphere. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Therefore, you can calculate the sky.

Also, there is 1 sky on earth. It is quantifiable.

Therefore you can calculate sky.

Pro has changed the resolution to: "Can math be used to calculate quantifaible things?" Nonetheless, I quickly, like a snake, adapted to this change and proved that indeed math can be used to calculate those things.

Pro has lost this debate.

Obvious win is obvious.
xxx200

Pro

1] mind: IQ test

IQ test will not say anything about a person's potential. einstein failed 9 times in math when he was in school, that does not explain his potential of a world renowned scientist.

there are many wise men over there whose potential IQ test cannot ascertain.

2] space can be measured by volume

volume belongs to an object. it has no relation with empty space. you cannot say an empty spece weigh 500kg.

3] sky is air

really? then what is the blue stuff over our head?. don't sit on your room. go outside and watch the sky.

math has a limit.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Please note that Pro has dropped my emotions argument altogether.

2. The Mind

First of all, I don't know where Pro is getting his information.

Math in school and IQ tests have no correlation. You can fail math 100 times and still have a high IQ. In fact, it is estimated that Albert Einstein has an IQ of 180. So obviously there is no correlation between failed math and IQ.

http://www.einstein-website.de...;

In fact, the IQ test is a fairly accurate measurement of the mind. Therefore, Pro has not proved anything. The mind can be measured with math.

Pro has also dropped my quantity argument. You can have 2 minds, meaning you can measure minds.

3. Space

Space can be measured with volume. Say you have an empty room. You can calculate the volume of that room to find how much empty space there is.

In fact, you can say empty space weighs 500kg. It is the mass of all the air molecules in that space.

Therefore, you can use math to calculate space. Math knows no limits.

4. Sky

Pro drops my entire sky argument.

Therefore, because of all of Pro's dropped arguments, I have won this debate.
xxx200

Pro

xxx200 forfeited this round.
Hardcore.Pwnography

Con

Extend all arguments. I urge a vote for CON.
Vote Placed by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
xxx200Hardcore.PwnographyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Cons arguemtns were lgical, coherent, and he didnt forfiet
Vote Placed by royalpaladin 5 years ago
royalpaladin
xxx200Hardcore.PwnographyTied