rocking_simply_me
Randomknowledge

is tradition is an obstacle in progress?

Con Tied Pro

rocking_simply_me

Con

i think it is as nowadays due to traditions specially in arab womesn r being killed if they dont wear a burkha .has life become so cheap??
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello. You said (at least i think you said, i couldnt understand your chat speak) that traditions are getting in the way of modern progress. But let me state, there are so many religions out there in the world that rely on tradition. IF there was no such thing as tradition, there would be no christmas, no Hanukkah, or no Kwanzaa. There would be no celebration of birth, and people wouldnt have much to look forward to in their daily lives. Tradition is a constant in peoples lives, and I beleive that It can definately be worked around if progress is in mind. Take this years election. Somewhat of an american tradition is to have a white, protestant or catholic, or christian president. We have an african-american and a woman running for president this year. I consider that a change of pace. Please, dont let tradition get in the way of what is allready happening. And I would greatly appreciate it if you could type legibly. Thank you.
rocking_simply_me

Con

HELLO
TRADITION HAS MADE THE LIFE OF PPL TOUGH SPEACIALLY IN ARAb,OK IF U DONT WEAR A BURKHA WEN EVER U G OUT U WILL B KILLD IS THINS FAIR??NO NOT AT ALL.TALK ABT INDIA WOMEN R NT EDUCATED GIRLS R NT EDUCATED PROPERLY..............SO IS THE WORLD PROGRESSING????????????IF YES THEN MY DEAR FRIEND OPEN YOUR EYES IN LOOK WATS GOING ALL AROUND U....YES SOME TRADITIONS HELP US BT MANY OF THEM DONT.IN INDIANS THERE R SO MANY TRADITIONS ......IF THEY WERE NT THERE LIFE WOULD CERTAINLY HAVE BEEN EASIER....WER TALKING ABT PROGREES U SAY SUM TRADITIONS HELP US FINE I AGREE BT IF U CONSIDER A CALSS OF 10 STUDENTS IF TWO OF THEM R VERY GUD IN STUDIES N 8 R BAD WILL THE CLASS PROGRESS ..NO..............SIMILARLY A MAJOR PART OF THE COUNTRY IS NT PRORESSING.IN INDIA U HAV THE TRADITION OF DOWRY IN WHICH THERE ARE A MAJOR PART OF WOMEN WHO R KILLD AS THEY DONT GET ENOUGH DOWRY FRM THEIR HOME.............ABOV ALL THE PROGRESS EVERYONES LIFE N DUE TO SOME USELESS TRADITIONS THERE R SO MANY...PPL KILLD
HERE U GO I HAVE TYPED legibly....................NOW LETS C HOW LEGIBLY CAN U ANSWER.........................................
THANK YOU VEY VERY MUCH.
Randomknowledge

Pro

Hello. I understand that this is a debate, and I understand that you are quite passionate. I completely disregarded the Burkha argument. That is one of the only traditions I can think of that is in the way of progress. I see that you realize all of the tradtiontions I brought up are out of the limits of productivity. Burkhas may be the only bad example. you said "CALSS OF 10 STUDENTS IF TWO OF THEM R VERY GUD IN STUDIES N 8 R BAD WILL THE CLASS PROGRESS ..NO" This is a very hard thing to prove. I know my teachers very well and they will acommodate to the good students by giving them more work and giving the not so good students less work and more imdividualized time. This was nto avery good example of progress.

Some more traditions for you to ponder:
Lighitng candles at Hanukkah
Setting up a tree at christmas
The Rockeffeler center Christmas Tree
Presidential Elections
Leap years
Receipts at the cash register

These all can be considered "traditions," as traditions is a very wide subject. By definition, (www.dictionary.com) a tradition is
4. a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices.
5. a customary or characteristic method or manner: The winner took a victory lap in the usual track tradition.

This is a tradition.
It is very open to interperetation, but I beleive that a tradition is almost like an unwritten law, and unwritten faction that people follow. These traditions definately fit the bill.
rocking_simply_me

Con

hello,
While the Government of Equatorial Guinea took its international obligations seriously, there was every indication that customs and traditions constituted an obstacle to women's' enjoyment of their human rights, the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women concluded today, as it examined the situation of women in that country.
the Committee's 23 members, acting in their personal capacities, monitor compliance with the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, often described as the international bill of rights for women and which came into force in 1981.

Throughout the day-long discussion, Committee members agreed that regardless of how deeply rooted traditions were, if they perpetuated discrimination against women they needed to be directly addressed with the goal of modifying or eradicating them. That was the obligation of a State party. Traditions would not change on their own. The Government was urged to put in place polices and measures to counter discrimination in areas including education, marriage, divorce, land ownership and politics.

The presence of multiple legal traditions resulted in women being disadvantaged, according to the Committee. For that reason, the Government was encouraged to put a family law in place to respect women's rights in all types of marriage. The Committee remained concern about early marriage and polygamy, and urged the Government to take legal and policy actions to discourage practices that were not only discriminatory, but also incompatible with the integrity of women. While welcoming efforts to banish imprisonment in cases of the non-payment of dowries, the Committee also remained concerned about customary law marriages.
wat is ure pic on traditions now ...............
Randomknowledge

Pro

I have to consider the fact that you only showed one example pertainig to womens rights. I am pleased you used proper grammer, except I think it is from a copied source, because you still wrote illegibly at the end....moving on, Here is an example of a time when tradition brought people together as a family and as a whole.

This is an article from the Laurence journal and world news.
http://www2.ljworld.com...

A lot goes into preparing Christmas dinner for 900 of your closest friends and strangers.

There's a dozen tables to set up, with folding chairs arranged around each. There's the poinsettias, three to a table, to be displayed on top. There's pie to cut, drinks to pour and coffee to brew.

Then there's the real food: trays and trays of turkey, ham, cranberries, potatoes, dressing and vegetables to be served by the more than 125 volunteers who help put the dinner together.

For the 14th year Tuesday, Lawrence's First United Methodist Church was home to the Community Christmas Dinner.

"I've been doing it the whole time it's been here," said Brower Burchill. "Some of the original people are still with us on the planning committee."

Burchill said that though Methodist church leaders are gracious in allowing the use of their kitchen and facilities, the lunch is organized by a variety of unaffiliated individuals.

Liz Miller said she's been volunteering at the dinner for five years with her friend Jane Garvin.

"We do it in memory of our fathers," Miller said. "They liked to help people."

David Baldwin is new to the dinner — he began volunteering last year — but his experience with catering at a hotel made him a natural choice to help bring the event together.

Baldwin said volunteering to serve others a Christmas dinner is the best thing he can do, because his family is spread out and unable to come together on Christmas Day itself. Instead, they'll gather this weekend and celebrate the holiday.

When he discovered the community dinner, he decided it was the best thing he could do to honor the real meaning of Christmas.

"I think this is a whole lot more Christmas-like than giving gifts," he said. "I love the people you talk to. Everybody's here, enjoying themselves. It's a true Christmas-like atmosphere."

The dinners weren't just for those who could make it downtown Tuesday.

A number of other locals also brought food to those who could not leave their homes.

In all, Burchill said organizers had planned to serve at least 900 meals — as they have in years past — and volunteers agreed that the placed was packed all day long.

This shows how much effort is put into an AMERICAN tradition. I know that you are from India and not from the united states but this is a primarily american website and their are some GREAT american traditions.

Thank you for this debate.
Posted by rocking_simply_me 6 years ago
rocking_simply_me
luk its not abt me bieng an indian ok n if ure an american itz not a big deal....................................i dont even care n no one does n dont u dare say i copied that matter u r u fake person not me u got no pt loooser
Posted by ahundredhighways 6 years ago
ahundredhighways
Churchill said it best when he said...

A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril.

yeah, tradition can slow progress, but nothing can stop it, and the quote is mostly true

but when it comes to sharia law, someting that is enforced strictly in the middle east, old dogs need to die!
Posted by Mikegj1077 6 years ago
Mikegj1077
Hey rocking, forget about this debate. How about a ride on my new Harley-Davidson motorcycle? I am single and own a house (my wife died of lung cancer 3 years ago). You could marry me for six months, kill me and then inherit the house. It would be worth it to me if that's your real picture.

Let me know if this sounds like a plan.
Vote Placed by eyeleapy 6 years ago
eyeleapy
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by cliffsofdover 6 years ago
cliffsofdover
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by towinistosucced 6 years ago
towinistosucced
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by yahoodeler 6 years ago
yahoodeler
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by docargument 6 years ago
docargument
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by xxJimmyxx 6 years ago
xxJimmyxx
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by brittwaller 6 years ago
brittwaller
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by Bitz 6 years ago
Bitz
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by ahundredhighways 6 years ago
ahundredhighways
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied
Vote Placed by Ineffablesquirrel 6 years ago
Ineffablesquirrel
rocking_simply_meRandomknowledgeTied