iancollins
Debateperson7961

is xenophobia as a result of poverty and longtime marginalisation

iancollins

Pro

yes for instance in s.africa there have been many xenophobic violence from the blacks since they live
Debateperson7961

Con

Hello and thank you for the debate challenge-
While it can certainly be argued that poverty leads many into desperation or desperate actions: we must ask "how and why?" First of all...that statement that I just gave above can be said to be wrong. It gives the impression that poverty and marginalization directly leads to so and so. If I say that by eating a cupcake an obese man will doom himself to a heart attack latter that same night after eating it, I am only using empirical observation to form guess work. I do not know as a matter of fact that the man had the attack due to the cupcake; by using my statement I am only assuming as such! The same goes for the man who says that by not getting a spot on the high school football team, a male student would be doomed to unpopularity or by not getting her hair done a girl would be doomed to be looked upon as 'plain.' What lurks in the minds of individuals cannot be ascertained so easily, and how genes hold up in the face of environmental factors cannot be ascertained so easily as well. It may be said that most people who may not think for themselves may be 'swooped up by social stigmas and threats of poverty' but we only need to look to historical philosophers like Socrates and Diogenes; to see that poverty does not equal xenophobia. If we want to say that white people in the western world have marginalized black people as an example, or because black people have been poverty stricken and marginalized; that has in turn led to racism, we must go on from there! For we cannot say that racism existed only after the marginalization! Because someone's skin color is one of the superficial traits that I can notice, it stands to reason that racism may indeed come before xenophobia in most cases. Only after I notice your color can I then assign traits to you or it.
iancollins

Pro

yes it is as a result of poverty and long time marginalization simply because still in south Africa whites are being violated by the blacks because they see that t5heir white neighbours live in wile they live in developed place
Debateperson7961

Con

I would ask then...why have not white or black people historically attacked members of their own color when it came to economic marginalization? For example why do the conservative poor folks (who are white) in the United States never rise up and attack rich white people? It is because they have a social belief in their heads that people of their same color are entitled to more. It's not a nice or pretty thing to say but it is true...very true in fact and we see it all too often. For example when China was occupied by the European powers in the 1800's; the Chinese did not attack their own rich and powerful people who were helping to exploit them...instead they attacked the European peoples. Now you could say that was because the Chinese were more loyal to the Chinese, and that is true, but what is also true is that in history it has been easier for angry people to be racist. Because to be racist it means you do not have to actually think.
iancollins

Pro

iancollins forfeited this round.
Debateperson7961

Con

Thank you for a good debate all the same.