lord_megatron
B0MB3RM4N_J43H4

it is hard to get interested in school

lord_megatron

Pro

School is a very boring place, with few breaks, lot of home and class work, tension of exams, and little appreciation for effort even if you only got a small thing wrong. Pro has to prove that it is easy to get interested in school, while I have to prove it is very difficult.
B0MB3RM4N_J43H4

Con

Wrong, school is actually a very pleasant experience, all your friends go there, some teachers have a good sense of humor, a change in environment, and mainly an abundance of knowledge. think about it what do you know now that you wouldn't have known if you hadn't gone to school for your whole life, sure you could get a tutor or get home schooled, but wheres the social skills aspect, wheres the emotional struggles that teach you how life works? I'm in high school and I should know, getting back stabbed or bullied just makes you stronger and give you more experience on life.
lord_megatron

Pro

First of all, I didn't actually mean to abstain from school. No, this is about whether many children can get interested IN school or not.
All your friends go there- Well, most teachers don't allow us to talk during classes. Of course we always break that rule, but all the same studying gets important, so we get bored. You can find friends in neighbors, online or many other places for that matter, so your social skills will be fine.
Some teachers have a good sense of humor- Well, most don't for me. Even if you crack a good joke, they start shouting at you for 'disturbing the class'.
Back-stabbed or bullied- Yes, but suppose your trusted best friend betrayed you, then will you be able to focus that day? No, you can't be ever immune to backstabbing or bullying. Suppose if some group gangs up against you and hurls insults all day for a week, what will you do? Even after reporting they continue, then what?
Moreover, whatever subjects we study in school can seem boring to a person who has a medium interest of learning. The over-intake of information all day has gave me headaches, and even at home I can't chill due to homework.
Abundance of knowledge- That IS the problem. What if someone tries to shove all the things they know into you, and you don't want to know it all? The result is forced learning, and will cause disinterest to grow, for the river of knowledge given by school never stops except for a while at holidays, and even then homework plagues are known.
B0MB3RM4N_J43H4

Con

touche
firstly you cant learn social skills from online, there's no body language or eye language involved which obviously doesn't provide good social skills. as for the bullying issue lets say you kind of "evolve" and learn ways to stop or even prevent bullying, I know this by firsthand because I used to get bullied a lot when I was in primary (elementary) but eventually learned how to stand up to bullies. Sure, some teachers might not allow talking in class, but have you ever thought why. Teachers usually stop talking because the desired amount of work isn't being completed and try to HELP the students catch up by removing a distraction which was simple, so if you want to talk do your work to. And you not being able to "chill" at home because of homework doesn't really make sense, teachers give you homework with a reasonable time limit for completion. you not being able to "chill" means your not spreading your workload and organizing things, such as giving yourself 45 minutes of free time for every one and a half hours of studying and homework. It could also be that you don't complete schoolwork at school , which then get transferred to your homework (that's how it works at our school). also, the cirriculum for school are made to be easy to understand, easy to comprehend and made so its at your grades average level, none of the work is forced into you, every subject can be fun if you apply yourself. if if you don't like a certain subject you can just not take it on your chosen subjects in year nine and after. as for the "homework plague", again spreading your workload helps alt in giving you time to enjoy.
lord_megatron

Pro

Social skills- You can still learn social skills by talking with neighbors, hanging out at a mall or park etc. Summer isn't a hiding time, now is it?
Bullying- Well it could have went the other way around for you, you may have became a bully or allowed yourself to be run over. And this is used as an excuse by our teachers for not taking adequate action against bullying. 'deal with it yourself' sometimes doesn't work out.
Talking- So, if teachers stop us from talking in class, then the time talking with friends is reduced. I would have met my people somewhere else rather than school.
Homework organization- You may be lucky then. Our subject teachers give time for homework according to the time needed only for 'its completion', and so if we get more assignments that day from other classes its humanly impossible not to skip one of them. I can't give myself 45 minutes, I have to make do with 10, for I return at home 4-30 pm and sleep at 9, so I have approximately 4 hours, out of which I need to do other things like eat, change, debate on this site(lol), play football etc. which reduces my study time.
'also, the curriculum for school are made to be easy to understand, easy to comprehend and made so its at your grades average level, none of the work is forced into you, every subject can be fun if you apply yourself.'
No, every child has a different level of intelligence, and also a different level of interest. I think that interest is like pouring 1 liter of water into 10 glasses. Sure, some may have 1.5 capacity and more want to learn, but I think that for each subject you are a bit more interested in, give a bit more effort you reduce the effort you will put in another subject. All of the work is forced upon us, we really can't choose subjects yet, and its impossible to be wizard at all subjects unless in primary. How can you be sure the curriculum is made keeping in mind the average ability when no student's opinion is taken upon it??
' if you don't like a certain subject you can just not take it on your chosen subjects in year nine and after. as for the "homework plague", again spreading your workload helps a lot in giving you time to enjoy.
I told you, most subject teachers don't co-ordinate with each other when giving homework, and thus we get overburdened. As for choosing subjects in year nine, I saw that our form was rigged( it required us to choose at least 13 subjects) and we are already studying only 17 subjects. I certainly dislike more than 4 subjects, what shall I do?
B0MB3RM4N_J43H4

Con

B0MB3RM4N_J43H4 forfeited this round.
lord_megatron

Pro

lord_megatron forfeited this round.
B0MB3RM4N_J43H4

Con

B0MB3RM4N_J43H4 forfeited this round.
Posted by B0MB3RM4N_J43H4 2 years ago
B0MB3RM4N_J43H4
ughhh touche
Posted by Fuzzed 2 years ago
Fuzzed
This debate could really go to more interesting places.

Schooling systems that have proven failures such as Americas compared with successful systems such as Northern europes (Finland, Sweden, etc..).

You could go more into depth on the issues at hand, what causes the bullying, why is the social aspect of friends so important, why the system fails introverts, etc...
Posted by lord_megatron 2 years ago
lord_megatron
It is on a whole then. Are most students interested or not?
Posted by Albert_Fung 2 years ago
Albert_Fung
It just depends on the school and the student.