dairygirl4u2c
Jeong_Donghyun

it is the most reasonable interpretation of the bible to say that some nonchristians can be saved

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

there are four major points in the bible that i can think of regarding salvation of nonchristians.

one is around John 3:16 where it says something to the effect of... "for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him shall not parish, but have ever lasting life. for God did not send his son to condemn the world, but that that world should be saved through him. and those who do not believe stand already condemned. and this is the condemnation, that God sent the light, but the people rejected the light because their ways were dark".

one is in a different spot in John where he says something to the effect of "unless you believe that I AM he, you will die in your sins".

one is at the end of Mark, where he says "go forth baptizing people in the name of the father and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. those who believe and are baptize will be saved, those who don't, will be condemned".

and there are a few spots in the nongospels part of the new testament, where it says things like "those who engage in immorality will be thrown in along with unbelievers".

the way to interpret these verses. the first three verses here have a presupposition to condemnation.... rejecting Jesus. And, the first example gave a very specific response on that rejection.... rejecting cause your ways are dark. the last verse gives the indication that 'nonbelievers are condemned". but, if you read the verses holistically, a nonbeliever could and should be considered someone who rejects Jesus, and the least common denominator of all the verses indicates that that rejection should include rejecting Jesus cause your ways are dark.

so we see that non only could a hypothetical man on an island who has never heard of Jesus be saved, so could so many people who reject Jesus, but reject him for reasons other than their ways being dark.

indeed, an englightened mind who rejects the truth, has trouble in store for him.
Jeong_Donghyun

Con

I would like to thank the Pro for asking such a good question.

Can people be saved if they reject Jesus, but not because their ways were dark?
Theoretically, yes. But practically, no. It is because there is no one whose ways are not dark. Even the "enlightened" people are considered dark by the standards of God, whose weakness is stronger than human strength. "For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength" (1 Corinthians 1:25). It is written, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God"s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil" (John 3:18-19). You can see that the reason that the ways of the people are dark is because they are evil. In other words, it is because of their sins. The Scriptures clearly states that no one is free of sin. It is written, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23). Therefore it can be said that everyone who rejects Jesus is because of their dark ways.

It is explicitly written that Jesus is the only way to be saved (go to heaven). For it is written, "Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6).

I hope this answered the first part of your argument. I am looking forward to the second round.

New International Bible
Book of John
Book of Romans
Book of Corinthians
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

reiterate
Jeong_Donghyun

Con

I must apologize: I do not understand what you mean by reiterate. Do you want me to explain my 1st argument, or are you simply saying that you would like to reiterate what you have said in round 1 once again? Please clarify this for me. Thank you.

I will refrain from posting new arguments in this round, as to give my opponent a fair chance.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

well if some reject cAUSE their ways are dark, it follows most closely that some accept cause their ways are not dark. some who have never heard the gosple like a hypothetical man on an island, might be one who has a not dark way.
Jeong_Donghyun

Con

As for your first point, I believe you have a fallacy in your logic. If A occurs because of B, it does not mean that A also occurs without B. Bible clearly states that everyone is a sinner, and therefore their ways are dark. Therefore, if some reject Jesus, it is because of their sins and darkness.

As for your second point, it is more legitimate. It is a question that arises often. First of all, the only way to be saved is through Jesus Christ. It is written, "No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:6b). However, the reason we need Jesus is because our ways are dark and we are sinful. Is a man on an island free from sin? Bible is very explicit about this. The answer is no. It is written, "Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me" (Psalms 51:5). Here are some other verses for your reference: Eccl 7:20, Rom 3:23, Jer 17:9, Job 15:14-16. Although one might think that someone who is completely isolated from society is pure from sin, the power of sin reaches beyond any distance and resides in the hearts of everyone. Therefore, one needs Christ to be saved.

This debate has been a great chance for me to openly argue for a much debated question. I would like to thank you once again for this opportunity.

New International Version Bible
Book of John
Book of Romans
Book of Psalms
Book of Ecclesiastes
Book of Jeremiah
Book of Job
Posted by Jeong_Donghyun 1 year ago
Jeong_Donghyun
By world it is talking about all of humanity.
Posted by TheWORDisLIFE 1 year ago
TheWORDisLIFE
What world is John 3:16 talking about?