dairygirl4u2c
Adam2

jesus contradicted himself regarding use of violence

Adam2

dairygirl4u2c

Pro

how do all of the following things reconcile? i actually have some theories but they could be better, and am curious if there's anything better.

Jesus told people not to intervene in his arrest process:
"And behold, one of those who were with Jesus reached and drew out his sword, and struck the slave of the high priest and cut off his ear. 52Then Jesus said to him, "Put your sword back into its place; for all those who take up the sword shall perish by the sword. 53"Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?"

when jesus was before pilate during the arrest, he said if this were his kingdom people would be fighting for him:
Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

at another point, jesus said to 'turn the other cheek'.

at another point, jesus said "let he who is without a sword go and get one"
Adam2

Con

When Jesus said to turn the other cheak, He meant to not hold grudges against people. He didn't say that you couldn't defend yourself against evil or someone who wants to hurt you or your family.
Luke 12:51 "Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division."
Leviticus 19:18 "
You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord."
Never did Jesus contradict Himself when it came to violence. Jesus told us not to have personal hatred for others.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

con may have addessed the 'cheek' verse, but he didn't address the other verses i gave. particularly how during his arrest he said not to use violence, the later said he wasn't opposed to violence if only he had help.
Adam2

Con

"Those who live by the sword die by the sword" was a condemnation of conquest and imperialism. We saw what Britain and Denmark did to their subjects and they will pay for what they've done throughout history and the fact that neither of them even have the guts to apologize shows that they await judgment. It was not a condemnation of violence but rather a condemnation of conquest. I'm sorry I didn't adress this earlier.
And about us using violence, that again goes back to revenge, not defending yourself. Jesus had to die a matryr so that was a different case. He let himself get beat up for a purpose. But that's job is done. God never said we couldn't defend ourself against someone who wants to harm us. Just that it's not right to harm someone in retaliation to a wrong. He said to leave that to God.

"Those who live by the sword" is a condemnation of imperialism, slavery and conquest.
dairygirl4u2c

Pro

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.
Adam2

Con

I rest my case.
Posted by Jikpamu 2 years ago
Jikpamu
Jesus was all about forgiveness. "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

However King Solomon said who was inspired by the Lord Jesus (if you believe Jesus is the God of the Bible and thus the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob):

Ecclesiastes 3:3 (NIV 2011) - a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,

There is a definite time for action particularly in regards to evil:

Proverbs 8:13 (NIV 2011) - To fear the LORD is to hate evil; I hate pride and arrogance, evil behavior and perverse speech.
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 2 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
dairygirl4u2cAdam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
dairygirl4u2cAdam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff