rationalthinking11
NausicaaFrostfire

legalization of marijuana

rationalthinking11

Pro

I am new to this site, but I would like to have a debate about the legalization of marijuana. I think this for a variety of reasons, and would like to argue the following points:

1) People have the right to decide what is best for them
2) The taxation could help the economy
3) It will help reduce drug related gang violence
NausicaaFrostfire

Con

I am also very new to this site but I love to debate so here is my argument.
Marijuana should not be legalized for the following reasons:
1) Marijuana is a very addictive drug and if it was legalized more people would end up abusing it
2) The smoking of Marijuana can cause people to have a lot of health problems which will cause more people to end up in the hospital and in the long run end up costing the country more money in medical bills
3)If Marijuana is legalized it makes it easier for are children to obtain it and we don"t need to be adding items to the list of things that hijack the development of our children"s brains; that list is already long enough.
rationalthinking11

Pro

Well lets get into your arguments first.
1) Studies show marijuana is not highly addictive; however, just like coffee or any other substance, people can become mentally addicted to it. Keeping weed illegal does NOT help those addicted, and we simply make criminals out of those who use the drug. We have over a million drug users in jail. We should help them stop using, not incriminate them.
2) Marijuana is not a highly dangerous substance. There have been no recorded medical deaths from people smoking weed. What DOES kill people is drug dealers that lace marijuana with harder drugs. By legalizing weed, the government could regulate the drug so that it is more safe for the user. Plus the projected billions of dollars in tax revenue and millions saved from the war on drugs would surpass any alleged "medical bills"
3) I agree that kids should not be doing drugs, but keeping marijuana illegal does nothing to stop this. Kids who want to do drugs will do them regardless of what the law says.
NausicaaFrostfire

Con

1) Studies have shown that the use of marijuana over time can make it very hard for the person using the drug to quit. Also if you make marijuana legal wouldn't it make it a lot harder to help the people in jail quit if they know there will be little regret for taking the drug.
2)Even though a person has not die becuase of marijuana does not mean it is not dangerous, marijuana can cause:
-rapid heart beat
-increased blood pressure
-paranoia
-short-term memory loss
-depression
-and many,many more side effects
If the government legalized the drug it is very unlikely they would make it more safe for the user. Take cigarettes for example, in the past they were actually not that unhealthy for you, but in order to make money the government made them cheaper and less healthy in order to make money.
3)I can't really debate on that point because I agree with you
rationalthinking11

Pro

Lastly let me give a few new arguments
1) By legalizing the drug, the general welfare of people would increase. The war on drugs has costed billions in tax payers' money, and for what? Gangs that control the drug market kill people every day and ruin the lives of families and communities. Doesn't it make more sense to legalize the drug so that the government and free market can get the money instead of drug lords? Legalizing will help put the money towards helping the economy, which could use all the help it can get, and not towards police raids and drug violence.
2)The government should not have a say in what people do so long as they are not directly hurting another person. Firstly, I am not an advocate of drug use. I do not believe it is something healthy people should do. That being said, we should leave it up to INDIVIDUALS to make the decision on what do put into their body. My personal views on using pot does NOT make it okay for me to impose this view upon the general public.
NausicaaFrostfire

Con

NausicaaFrostfire forfeited this round.