nogodtrey
Langepatekjaeger

legalization of marijuana

nogodtrey has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

nogodtrey

Pro

Marijuana is far less dangerous than alcohol or tobacco. Around 50,000 people die each year from alcohol poisoning. Similarly, more than 400,000 deaths each year are attributed to tobacco smoking. By comparison, marijuana is nontoxic and cannot cause death by overdose.
Langepatekjaeger

Con

I accept your challenge and look forward to an intellectual debate. Since you didn't type much in the first round, I will use this round only for preliminary arguments.

First of all, you seem to think that marijuana is a harmless drug. This is definitely not the case. Even though it cannot cause death by overdose, it could indirectly cause death. The state of being high, much like being drunk, could make one lose control of one's own actions. In fact, the National Institute on Drug Abuse even said that "Marijuana is the illicit drug most frequently found in the blood of drivers who have been involved in accidents, including fatal ones."

Second, marijuana is extremely addictive, with severe mental and physical side effects. According to Dr. Drew Pinsky, a doctor that works with addicts, "I've been treating cannabis addiction for 20 years. When people are addicted to cannabis, cocaine and alcohol the drug they have the most difficult time giving up is the cannabis." Besides the addiction, marijuana isn't good for mental heath. A Northwestern University study found that "Marijuana users have abnormal brain structure and poor memory and that chronic marijuana abuse may lead to brain changes resembling schizophrenia."

Third, do we really want children to be exposed to this stuff? In Amsterdam, where marijuana is legalized, citizens are rightly alarmed that students and children are exposed to it. If marijuana is presented to young people as harmless, they are so much more likely to become addicted. What's there to be gained by addiction? Addiction controls lives so that their time, money, and well-being are wasted, with no gain to users at all besides temporary "pleasure" that alters your thinking state.

Finally, marijuana itself is not the only reason that it should not be legalized. Marijuana is usually a gateway drug to other, much more dangerous drugs. Although marijuana could be defended as relatively harmless, most other drugs can't, and legalizing marijuana is the first step to legalizing more dangerous drugs.

That's why it's my opinion that marijuana should absolutely not be used, or legalized, for any reasons other than medical purposes.
nogodtrey

Pro

first the not saying its completely good but there is no reason that it illegal the only reason is not because of its effects but because a vicious and racist add made by Harry J. Anslinger "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others." also some of the most succseful people in the world smoked weed like bill gates, George w. bush, Steve jobs.
Langepatekjaeger

Con

I'm not quite sure I follow your logic. "The only reason is not because of its effects but because a vicious and racist add made by Harry J. Anslinger." Did you mean "ad?" If so, just because one ad was publicized does not mean that the contents of that advertisement covers or represents the beliefs of those who do not want marijuana to be legalized.

Secondly, you said that "some of the most successful people in the world smoked weed." Just because people are successful does not mean that they make right choices. Expanding on that point, and because of the proven ill-effects of marijuana, one can only begin to imagine what some people could have accomplished if marijuana was not in there lives.

You also said that "there is no reason that it illegal." I'm assuming that you meant that there is no reason that it is illegal. If that is what you meant, then there certainly are reasons that marijuana is illegal. Please see my previous argument in Round 1 to understand a few.
Posted by jo154676 1 month ago
jo154676
A fair amount of people that go to jail for marijuana possession plea down from charges like intent to sell or distribution so that is not really fair to say. I have some personal experience with this as I was arrested on 4 charges for marijuana in the spring and they later knocked it down to just possession and paraphenelia and ultimately made me a deal where if I did 20 hours of community service that I would have the charges dropped.

Granted I support legalization and smoke every day just wanted to make that distinction.
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
Making marijuana illegal puts the control in the hands of the criminal.
A study done in the 90s showed that the greatest detriment to the individual or the family unit concerning marijuana use comes from law enforcement.
A father should not go to jail for smoking pot.
Posted by jo154676 1 month ago
jo154676
I have a lot of experience with marijuana and I am currently addicted to it, but to say that it is more addicting than tobacco or alcohol is preposterous. The worst thing that can come from marijuana withdrawal is a lack of sleep and some agitation and there are no physical effects from withdrawal, while alcohol withdrawal can actually kill you and nicotine is one of the hardest substances to break in the world. Most studies show that marijuana is addictive to 10% of people so to say that it is highly addictive is once again misguided. If it is legalized then it will lead to lower crime rates, less crowded prisons, large amounts of state tax revenue so far this year Colorado has made 53 million in taxes and licensing fees on marijuana (https://www.colorado.gov...). Also you mention our children being exposed to it, even though it is illegal in most states now and more kids are smoking it than ever, also the legal age to purchase in all the states that have or are looking at legalization is 21 so unless there is crime being commited (which is a different issue) then kids do not get easy access to it. I wish I could have stepped in here to debate before this person did because I believe that my arguments hold more merit and am looking forward to hearing your response.
Posted by missmedic 1 month ago
missmedic
Anyone that is ok with alcohol but opposed to marijuana is a hypocrite.
Posted by Langepatekjaeger 1 month ago
Langepatekjaeger
+oracle1 Marijuana is already legal in most states for medical purposes. This debate is about whether marijuana should be legalized for recreational use, not medical purposes.
Posted by oracle1 1 month ago
oracle1
Legalizing marijuana for medical purposes is legalizing, con has affirmed the resolution.