rationalthinking11
JuliusMaximus

legalizing abortion

rationalthinking11

Pro

I believe that the legalization of abortion is better for society than keeping it illegal.

the first round if for accepting the challenge

the next two rounds will be for providing your own arguments, supporting them, and refuting the other arguments.
JuliusMaximus

Con

Welcome to the site, I look forward to an interesting and stimulating debate.
rationalthinking11

Pro

Thanks, and good luck in the debate.

First I would like to point out that my personal belief is that abortion is wrong. I believe that every human life should have the chance to become a beautiful human being, and if my girlfriend was ever impregnated, I would do everything in my power to preserve the life of my child. That being said, I still respect others choice to get an abortion. This is due to a variety of reasons:
1) We do not know the reason for a woman's choice
2) The illegal nature of abortions endangers women
3) There are better ways to reduce the amount of abortions in society

I do not believe that government should have any say in a woman's choice. There are a variety of reasons why a woman could believe an abortion to be necessary. There could be a case of rape, incest, or some other situation. Some say that we should only allow abortion in these special cases,; however, it is very difficult to prove a woman was or was not raped. It is wrong to state that the governments know better than the woman about her personal situation. Although we should discourage it, it should be up to the individual about what she should do with her body.

Simply making the practice of abortion illegal does not stop it from happening. Women who believe that the baby will be so detrimental to her life that they are willing to eradicate their fetus, which is a very tough decision, will do so regardless of the law. By making it illegal, Women would be forced to go to unregulated and shady doctors for the procedure. This dramatically increases the chance of the woman dying because the practice is unregulated. Doesn't it make more sense to keep abortion safe and legal for women who truly believe that the procedure is necessary by have these operations regulated, instead of putting their lives at risk?

Finally, even with all the reason to keep abortion legal, I still think we should attempt to lessen the number of abortions. Simply saying "you can't do this" does nothing to address the underlying issues of abortion. We should have informative advertisements to convince women that abortion is not morally correct instead of putting taxpayers money towards funding the operations. This way our society can lessen the amounts of abortion without putting the lives and bodies of women at risk and making them criminals.
JuliusMaximus

Con

JuliusMaximus forfeited this round.
rationalthinking11

Pro

Your lack of a response does not display that you are committed to this debate. Also it gives me no opportunity to refute any of your ideas, which is unfair. I hope you have a VERY compelling argument.
JuliusMaximus

Con

JuliusMaximus forfeited this round.