cljones123
vmpire321

legalizing marijuana!

vmpire321

cljones123

Pro

It hasnt killed anyone we should be able to smoke our marijuana in peace and not half to worry about law enforcement busting in our homes!! regulate it and tax it just like tobacco and alcohol!!!!!!
Our founding fathers grew hemp!!! everything was fine until 1937 what does the government thing they are doing?? and the study on if marijuana kills brain cells thats eca damn lie the put gas masks on those poor monkeys with little oxygen and their brains were shutting down due to lack of oxygen and were loosing brain cells i have been researching marijuana for a long time and i havent found anything that is really wrong with it its safer than any other substance in the world!!! There are no deaths contributing to marijuana! When people talk about marijuana they seem to talk about other Drugs, Im talking about marijuana alone! People the government has been feeding us false information for years!! Hemp has been used since the dawn of time and always has been used for medical purposes.Its the first cultivated plant on this earth. it grows naturally and i see no harm in this plant! Cave men used the herb to speed up their language skills and and the use of new tools and instruments and cave art!! It open the doors to greater consciousness! They say you can abuse marijuana and get addicted to it , you can abuse anything on this world. In the matter of fact marijuana used to be in every doctors being in the term of the century. Why make it illegal, why is it categorized as a schedule 1 drug and cocaine as a schedule 2 drug, so cocaine is better for you than marijuana haha "oh no its worse for you" says everyone on this planet they are crazy marijuana is not bad for u it heals people its a medicine. A former study at ucla says daily users of marijuana have less risks of getting cancer then someone who doesn't smoke at all. I agree with ron paul we are wasting our money on law enforcement on arresting people for possession and putting them in jail and calling them criminals and some go to jail for life because of marijuana!! they are not criminals and its just wrong because some go to jail for life and these murderers and rapists can get out thats just not right!! the government just doesnt realize what they are doing to this world!! I think the legal drinking age should be raised to 25 instead of 21. I think the age of tobacco should be 21 not 18. alcohol and tobacco kills more people on this world guess how many have died from pot No One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vmpire321

Con

I accept this debate...

Hopefully, my opponent will shape up on Spelling/Grammar.

==Refutations==

Seeing that my opponent has failed to provide any logical form of structure, I shall try to organize his paragraph into coherent sections.

1. His Plan - Basically, Pro has asserted that the government simply needs to regulate it and tax it, similarly to tobacco and alcohol.

Alright. I suppose I shall assume that we are looking at this from the point of the government - and it is the government's responsibility to do what is best for its people.

2. Marijuana does not harm people.

The statement is completely false. Marijuana holds people back with disadvantages long-term and short-term. Refer to my Contention One, as this argument is refuted there.

3. It has lasted a long time.
I literally Lol'd at some of the things that Pro stated.

Apparently, marijuana was the first cultivated plant. False, it was the fig [1].

Pro also asserted that marijuana can be used for medical purposes - and I recognize the fact that it can be used for medical reasons, however this doesn't justify why we should legalize it. Medical marijuana is legalized in some states - but we do not see a reason to completely legalize marijuana in general.

And futhermore, smoking marijuana was never proven to be, in any way, medically helpful, and it's much more likely to harm your wellbeing [5].

Also, hemp growing "naturally" is not a valid argument. Some poisonous plants grow naturally - so is it fine to eat them?

"Cave men used the herb to speed up their language skills and and the use of new tools and instruments and cave art!"-PRO
First provide a source for this far-fetched claim. Then I'll refute.

4. Everything can be abused - and look at tobacco/alcohol.

I somewhat agree - a lot of legal things *can* be abused, but the fact is that they are rarely ever abused. However, in most cases, marijuana is abused, and hence a danger to society and the people. This is why marijuana is illegal.

Simply because one thing is legal does not mean everything should be legalized. In fact, I believe that the government should step forward and start putting more restrictions and cracking down on the useage of tobacco/alcohol.

But anyways, the daily smoking of relatively small amounts of marijuana (3 to 4 'joints') has at least a comparable, if not greater effect on the respiratory system than the smoking of more than 20 tobacco cigarettes [5].

5. Misc.? I don't even....
The title of this debate is "legalizing marijuana", so I would assume that this debate would be about whether or not the USFG should, frankly, legalize marijuana. My opponent's random assertion that the drinking age/tobacco age should be lowered is strange and irrelevent.
This is completely off topic.

==Contentions==

C1: Marijuana is harmful.

How is marijuana harmful? Overall, hemp causes cognitative problems, risks mental health, damages traffic safety, and leads to other drugs.

Children with the average grade of a D or a F are 4 times more likely than children with an average grade of A to have used marijuana in the past year [2]. This study implies that those who start using marijuana as a drug start to fall in school - there is an obvious correlation.
A study discovered that after 24 hours since they last used the drug, regular college marijuana users still failed with attention, memory, and learning [3].
Frequent marijuana users also have problems with math and verbal expression, along with a failing memory [4].

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, even a moderate dose of marijuana is able to destroy a driver's ability. This study measured the "reaction time and how often drivers checked the rear ­view mirror, side streets,and the relative speed of other vehicles."

Marijuana also leads to even stronger drugs. In fact,

"The earlier kids start using marijuana, the more likely they are to become dependent on this or other illicit drugs later in life"[5]

These effects can lead to more negative effects. A bad educatio harms a person's ability to think, to work properly, and to make decisions. Furthermore - failing attention harms the people's ability to perform-which can cost lives. For example, their driving may be reckless or they may be careless on a job.

Source

[1]
http://www.npr.org...
[2]
http://www.samhsa.gov...
[3] 5 Pope, HG and Yurelun-­Todd, D. The residual cognitive effects of heavy marijuana use in college students. Journal of the American Medical Association.
[4]
http://cinp.org...
[5] https://www.ncjrs.gov...

I'll end my arguments for now.

cljones123

Pro

Well u know what the reason ur saying all that bull is because you are against legalizing it! Listen to Dr ron Paul has to say about marijuana I have purchased 4 books about marijuana and they all say a daily user of marijuana has less risks of getting getting any type of can then someone who doesn't smoke at all. I strongly disagree that we need crack down on alcohol and tobacco usage.I clearly said I want to increase the drinking age and increase the.tobacco ussage age to 21 and alcohol to 25. I went to a brain neurologist Dr.kantrell and she showed a brain of someone who doesn't smoke and some one that does smoke weed. The brain looked no different it was the same in fact when u smoke yes it might make u lazy but not permanently. The people of this society says that if if u smoke weed u will have nothing and u will loose your job and be.lazy. the people that are going to be lazy and looose there jobs are lazy anyways there.not not going to loose their jobs because of weed its.just a lie!!!! There are very successful people on this planet today that smoke pot its the most widely used illegal substance on this planet. Ur talking about heavy use I'm not. I smoke weed daily two joints a day I go to the doctor and I always get my blood pressure checlcked I am healthy and I'm never sick Ever. I feel great and I sometimes go a week without lighting up I have no withdraws or nothing not 1 thing its not addictive if u don't want it to be its a controllable substance and its something u half to get used to being high might feel weird and make u paranoid u half to learn to relax and be calm I don't have a smokers cough. Marijuana stimulates brain activity I have documenteries on weed all over my house and I heard nothing wrong about pot. Its a reliable resource that's grows in a natural environebt
vmpire321

Con

Oh whops. I thought that Pro was trying state that because tobacco and alcohol was legal, marijuana should be legal too. I misread his confusing statements.

Anyways...Apparently my opponent is going to stick to his annoying paragraph arguments, and there are three rounds left... Oh god.

==Refutations==

1. Marijuana is "beneficial", not harmful.

I think the best example of marijuana being harmful would be my opponent. Look at his grammar, his spelling, etc. Then look at the fact that he "smokes weed daily two joins a day"

My opponent has to yet provide a reliable source for any of his claims.
-He has claimed that he read a few books (Doubtful, lol) about marijuana. I'll bet that he misinterpreted data, if he actually read it, and is spreading false knowledge. Please post the exact book and the exact page...
-He looked at pictures of brains. Smart - does Pro have profession experiance to judge what is a "good" brain and what is a "bad" brain.
-Claims sucessful people smoke pot, but does not provide source
-Claims that people losing jobs because of weed is a "lie" (Source? And this is also strawman fallacy...)
-Uses anecdotal evidence about his own "health"
-Claims he isn't addicted (But says that he smokes daily, and two joints a day)
-Claims that he has documentaries on weed (Provide link)

Other than that, my opponent failed to provide any other type of argument.

==Contentions==

Basically all dropped.
cljones123

Pro

cljones123 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Con

Extend arguments.
cljones123

Pro

cljones123 forfeited this round.
vmpire321

Con

...Looks like my opponent accidently OD'd.
cljones123

Pro

cljones123 forfeited this round.
Posted by DouggyFresh 4 years ago
DouggyFresh
I remember when I thought being a stoner wouldn't affect my brain permanently. If it weren't so sad, it'd be funny... wait... what was I talking about again?
Posted by Buddamoose 4 years ago
Buddamoose
I see no problem with legalizing marijuana. To myself alcohol ad tobacco are legal, and taxed heavily. This country is already spending too much, it could use the extra revenue. I get tired of the same old arguments for legalizing marijuana. Nobody ever brings it up from an economic standpoint.
Posted by crossfade102495 4 years ago
crossfade102495
@vmpire How many people have died directly from marijuana use? ...And you realize the gateway drug theory is completely discredited, don't you?
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
The goverment has no responsibility to help people. It's also unconstitutional to ban drugs, I say keep 'em banned but pass an amendment now.
Posted by cljones123 4 years ago
cljones123
My point exactly it doesn't harm you:) our bodies are made to respond to cannabis.Our bodies have cannabanoid recepters in them. Man research ur stuff man ask any doctor I'm not lieing
Posted by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
That is just covering the relationship between marijuana and cancer. That's too specific.
Posted by cljones123 4 years ago
cljones123
go here http://www.washingtonpost.com... it does not kill you. You are messed up in the head man
Posted by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
Funny how I see a couple recorded deaths when I research it.
Posted by cljones123 4 years ago
cljones123
it hasnt look it up there are no recorded deaths and you cant find one!! all these billions of years and still nothing! that must tell you something
Posted by vmpire321 4 years ago
vmpire321
sure, its rare but...
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
cljones123vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited, leaving Con's arguments unanswered. The debate went off-track in focusing entirely on whether marijuana is bad for you. Lots of things are bad yet legal. Nonetheless, pro gave up. Pro's S
Vote Placed by ConservativePolitico 4 years ago
ConservativePolitico
cljones123vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro couldn't finish the debate...
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
cljones123vmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: F