sanki20
marcuscato

lokpal bill a boon or a curse

marcuscato

sanki20

Pro

yes it a boon
marcuscato

Con

I thank my opponent for this opportunity to debate.

My opponent has not posted which version of the lokpal bill will be debated. I request him to specify the same; I will show that the lokpal bill(which ever is specified by my opponent) is detrimental to the society.
If my opponent intended to be literal when he says boon or curse, i would request him to state the same.

sanki20

Pro

sanki20 forfeited this round.
marcuscato

Con

It is sad that my opponent has forfeited. I was giving him flexibility because he was new. Its always nice to have more people.
Since my opponent has not specified which lokpal bill, I will argue that the governments lokpal bill will be detrimental to the society. The other version is called the jan lokpal bill.

The lokpal bill is a bill which is supposed to create an indepented body which has the power to investigate corruption.
LOKPAL means the protector of the people. The lokpal is supposed to help root out corruption at the highest level. The governments lokpal bill will not allow the lokpal to investigate:
A) The prime minister of India
B)The judiciary
C)Members of Parliament on allegations of -"cash for vote" or when they are alleged to have taken money to ask questions

As we can see, the governments lokpal will be toothless in removing corruption at the highest level.
Passing it will not be benign but detrimental to the Indian society because it will create an atmosphere of misinformation.
The government will make pseudo claims of having taken steps to root out corruption.
As we can see we must pass a strong bill to tackle corruption and passing a weak bill will be detrimental because it will discourage further action.
VOTE CON

http://en.wikipedia.org...;
sanki20

Pro

sanki20 forfeited this round.
marcuscato

Con

marcuscato forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 3 years ago
Man-is-good
sanki20marcuscatoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides forfeited, though I am somewhat inclined to give Con a point for conduct since sanki20 forfeited first, but I will be generous. But, in spite of this, marcuscato provided an argument and sources, which sanki20 did neither. Con: Pro=5:0