Annbella
Cody_Franklin

long Debate

Cody_Franklin

Annbella

Con

Do you guys and girls ever get tired of reading those super long and stupid debates?
Cody_Franklin

Pro

A bit of a strange topic, to be sure, but I try to thrive on unconventionality; so, here we are.

I don't think any definitions will be necessary, as 'long debate' is pretty self-explanatory; if it isn't, allow me to rephrase the resolution: "Resolved: Lengthy debates can be beneficial."

Moving on, then.

Contention I: Lengthy debates allow for self-expression.

The name of this website is debate.org; it is a place for debate enthusiasts; in a proper discussion, it is only natural that some debaters will have a great deal to say; take note of the 8,000 character limit in most debates; this serves a dual purpose: it allows for posts to be reasonably lengthy, while still keeping the debate short enough to maintain the interest of potential voters. For the debater, the large amount of available characters allows for better articulation of certain arguments, which allows the debater to put out more content, which provides a better means of expressing one's beliefs and thoughts, which in turn enhances the quality of the intellectual discourse; for the debaters involved in the argument, this provides a greater level of enjoyment while debating, due simply to the freedom that is offered by the large character limit; and, as the primary purpose of debate is to enjoy the intellectual stimulation which comes from argument, and not necessary to win, then it would seem that lengthy debates serve their purpose for the debaters involved; ergo, lengthy debates can be enjoyable for the parties involved; ergo, lengthy debates can be beneficial.

Contention II: Lengthy debates benefit readers.

Lengthy debates provide great reading material for DDO veterans, but also serve as great role models for new debaters; a multitude of diverse arguments often pop up in debates, but without a large character limit, the hordes of different viewpoint would never be allowed to totally clash; if debaters can't put out the arguments they want, then the debate becomes meaningless; the debater in question can never improve, because readers lose interest, having nothing to read over and critique; lengthy debates offer a wide variety of viewpoints, which assists readers and potential voters in keeping an open mind, perhaps even giving them new ideas for their own future debates; plus, debate quality suffers due to length constraints, and readers lose interest, that's also potential debaters losing interest, which could prevent a lot of future debates from taking place simply because of bad first impressions, as it were.

Thus concludes my opening arguments; and, with that, I'll hand it over to CON.
Annbella

Con

let me make make mines short and sweet ... i don't like to read long debate. i didn't even finsh reading your debate it bore me to death i like to read them and see what people have to say but i do not like to hear people rant on on on about the stupidist things!!!!!!
Cody_Franklin

Pro

Um... Alrighty then. Let me just... do some... uh... Yeah.

1. "i don't like to read long debate."

a. This point is irrelevant when considering whether or not lengthy debates can be beneficial.

b. As my opponent is quick to further admit, "i didn't even finsh readng your debate it bore me to death"; clearly, since my opponent hasn't even read my arguments, she couldn't respond to them; thus, both of my contentions stand, proving that, for debaters and readers alike, lengthy debates can, in fact, be beneficial.

2. Ranting

a. I'm not entirely certain of the argument that my opponent is attempting to make here; at best, this is merely her personal opinion once again on how she does not enjoy reading long debates.

b. Allow me to reaffirm that, simply because she does not enjoy reading in-depth discussion of topics does not mean that these long discussions are not beneficial to the parties involved (refer back to my contentions).

I was assuming that my opponent would be able to provide legitimate reasons for why long debates are not beneficial to the intellectual community; hopefully, she is able to redeem her arguments in round 3; I know I'm willing to give her another shot, voters; and, you should be, too.
Annbella

Con

Umm

1.Big Words

a. i wish that you would use smaller words!

b. big words confuse me

2. reading

a. i read your debate and i did not understand a word you said.

and there for it is your turn to write your very long and boring debate!
Cody_Franklin

Pro

I suppose that it was wishful thinking to expect an enjoyable debate on this.

1. "Big Words"

a. I apologize if you have taken any offense to my diction.

b. This has nothing to do with the topic at hand; refer back to my contentions, and my Round 2 arguments; I have clearly fulfilled my burden, whereas Con has not even acknowledged hers.

2. "reading"

a. [http://www.hookedonphonics.com...]

I would love to say that this was a very in-depth, meaningful, challenging debate; but, I think it's pretty clear. Vote Pro.
Posted by Charlie_Danger 7 years ago
Charlie_Danger
This was the greatest debate ever.

RFD

Conduct: PRO
PRO not only did his job right, but he also conformed to the CON's rebuttal (if you can call it that) which he didn't need to do, but did, thus earning my vote

S&G: PRO
If it weren't for a member on my debate team that is allergic to grammar, I wouldn't even be able to read what CON was saying.

Arguments: PRO
Do I even need to explain this?

Sources: CON
Okay, I felt nice, and the CON did make me giggle during this debate. Besides, this is an obvious and overkill win for Cody, so I'm sure he won't mind. (I can and will change this if I have significant reason to)
Posted by Lifeisgood 7 years ago
Lifeisgood
Great debate. XD
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
Conduct: Pro - Con was off-topic the entire time, and didn't acknowledge anything that Pro brought up.
S/G: Pro - Con had a multitude of errors.
Arguments: Pro - Obviously.
Sources: Tied; Hooked on Phonics was a suggestion, not a source.
Vote Placed by Charlie_Danger 7 years ago
Charlie_Danger
AnnbellaCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Maikuru 7 years ago
Maikuru
AnnbellaCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
AnnbellaCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
AnnbellaCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
AnnbellaCody_FranklinTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
AnnbellaCody_FranklinTied