jkmarsh7
moneystacker

longer school days

jkmarsh7

Pro

I think that we should have longer school days. One reason to why we should extend the days of school is so other students and i can enjoy longer breaks and more accomplished in a day especially for high school students who have so much to do each day and not enough time for each
moneystacker

Con

My opponents argument just for reference

I think that we should have longer school days. One reason to why we should extend the days of school is so other students and I can enjoy longer breaks and more accomplished in a day especially for high school students who have so much to do each day and not enough time for each

Introduction: I have to applaud my opponent for one thing, for actually supporting longer school days. Most kids including myself never would support such a proposal. There's a lot of things to consider though.

Question for my opponent: How much longer do you actually want the school days to be??

Observation: Since my opponent wants schools in general across the nation to have longer hours of school this will be implemented on a national scale.

Definition for future reference

Block scheduling= Block scheduling is a type of academic scheduling in which each student has fewer classes per day (common in middle and high schools) (e.g. 4) Each class is scheduled for a longer period of time than normal (e.g. 90 minutes instead of 50).

One thing to consider before I respond
1. Maybe this works for you but not for others.
What you must understand is that some people have extra curricular activities. Now I bet you are thinking it's only one activity however one activity can take a huge chuck of your time. For example my brother is in band and he plays the trombone. During band season which ended around December he had to stay after and practice band every day until around 7:00. IF this is implemented he will have to stay until 8:00 and also this isn't going to help with homework.

My opponent makes this statement a claim that he needs more time.

I will provide a response for this

1. Instead of adding school hours why not allocate hours? or even remove extra daily activities
This will fail to be implemented nationally because different states have different period times. In Houston Texas each class last about 45 minutes but I know someone who lives in California where at there school its around 85 or so. The kids with 85 minutes or so per subject I would argue get more then enough. Some have around 60 minutes or so per subject.

Now alternatives to your proposed solution

1. Block scheduling
Instead of just adding more hours to school on a national scale a better alternative is to apply more block schedules to more schools across the nation. According to http://712educators.about.com... A teacher states this "Following is the author's personal background with block scheduling. I taught under a modular schedule for seven years. Unlike a traditional school day which typically has six classes of 50 minutes each, our school adopted a schedule with two traditional days a week and three nontraditional days. During the three nontraditional days, teachers met with only four classes for 80 minutes each." Now this method isn't perfect but that leads to my next suggestion.

2. This proposal isn't even needed to resolve breaks
This is a direct response to this statement made by my opponent "One reason to why we should extend the days of school is so other students and I can enjoy longer breaks" When I was in middle school we had a problem, we had 5 minute breaks but we had one of the most crowded schools in the cy-fair district in Houston Texas which is like the 3rd or 4th biggest district in the USA. A 5 minute break wasn't enough to get to class or talk to friends or put stuff up. The solution was simple and put into effect, 7 minutes was implemented for longer breaks and more time to get to class, this was done without some policy like the one you are proposing. Thus this proposal isn't even need for that "problem" and that argument falls.

3. Quit or give up something
Look if you are not finding enough time to get your homework done quite that other stuff you claim you have to do, job, sports, etc.
jkmarsh7

Pro

the school days will be extend be an hour or two to not in the morning but towards the evening so that more can be accomplished and we would take days off at the end of the school year by making them up in year it would shorten our year for longer vacation breaks. In a study done in Massachusetts called Expanded learning time initiative a school added 2 hours on to there day and the schools average test scores went up exponentially. That was done with elementary school kids. If it was done for middle school and even high school instead of pushing for more reading and math development it could add a longer seminar that would drastically remove long homework nights. Also I never have debated before but I'm completely out matched by my opponent I would like to thank him for this learning opportunity.
moneystacker

Con

Response to this part of his argument: In a study done in Massachusetts called Expanded learning time initiative a school added 2 hours on to there day and the schools average test scores went up exponentially. That was done with elementary school kids.

I am not suggesting that your method cannot work. It's logical that if you spend more time learning a topic or studying something you will learn more. No one can disprove that and that isn't my burden. I just have to prove should we have longer school hours. Sure maybe this works but what i am saying is school is long enough and i presented alternatives like block scheduling or simply not participating in extra activities so you have more time to study. Another alternative that a lot of kids starting in high school use and i use is simply to learn topics on youtube or online. There are teachers and lecturers that have videos online of them teaching a subject.

However the main reason is simply that school is long enough. High school ends around 2:30 for me and 4:30 in some other areas. What i mean is in some locations school starts later so they end later. If this were to be implemented on a national scale like my opponent proposes then they would get out of school around 6:30 PM. This goes back to my point that if this were to be used at all it would be best at the local level rather then national however i am not for this method either way because i don't believe we need to extend school at all. Thus we shouldn't have longer school days.

Now my opponent brings up a really good argument that i will address
" If it was done for middle school and even high school instead of pushing for more reading and math development it could add a longer seminar that would drastically remove long homework nights"

Response: This is true but again another thing is some kids work in high school. IF school were to be pushed back kids would have to work later and they would actually have homework late at night. Now this doesn't apply to everyone of course but it does to at least juniors and seniors and some sophomores. Not to mention activates like football practice and band practice would be pushed back.

In the end i think simply extending period between classes, using block scheduling i needed, and ensuring you are not in to much extra activities as well as watching videos online is more then enough. I also believe that instead of adding hours to school you simply need to take out extra school activities that can be done after school like track or band and make classes longer. A lot of schools have 85 minute classes or 60 minute classes without adding extra school hours.
Posted by jkmarsh7 11 months ago
jkmarsh7
I wish I had enough time for debate as a sophomore I can only work on academics and marching band and trumpet playing
Posted by moneystacker 11 months ago
moneystacker
No problem man and no just that being in debate in highschool gives advantage is all. You are doing well though
Posted by moneystacker 11 months ago
moneystacker
I just got back from the gym washed up a bit tired and all but this is only 2 rounds. Also I debated a topic like this one recently i'll debate this one.