makeup: should girls be encouraged to wear makeup?

Coming from a mostly male- dominated family, I have always been questioned as to why I dedicate part of my time to putting on makeup.
Society incentives women to wear makeup so that they can be seen as more attractive; honestly, it is something that makes women feel better about themselves.
It has given me more confidence in myself; when I do my makeup, it is a time that I dedicate to skin care as well, therefore treating my body better. I also find it entertaining, I really enjoy trying new techniques and colors.

I accept. There are 2000 charecters, really?

Thank you for accepting my challenge.
Yes, I would like to keep this as a concise argument.

Go ahead and state your position, or your rebuttal to my points directly.

Okay, I will only make one argument, assuming I have space.

Topic about if makeup should be encouraged. I am Con, BoP is on Pro. My argument is that makeup harms the skin.

Argument 1: Makeup harms the skin

Okay, first the dryness

In some cases a foundation or powder may dry out your skin and make it look flaky, dull and ashen. These cosmetics may also cause cracks and fine wrinkles in your skin, explains the American Academy of Dermatology, which could cause an infection to develop. Dryness also makes your skin itch. To combat it, apply a moisturizer about five minutes before the foundation or powder. A hydrating foundation or powder will also help." [3]

Yes, makeup harms your skin very badly if you wear it, because it is very dry and makes wrinkles to your skin.

"These reactions can come in two types: irritant contact dermatitis, which is an itching or burning reaction to a product irritating the skin, and allergic contact dermatitis, which is more of a "true" allergy to specific ingredients that results in swelling, itching, or blisters [source: American Academy of Dermatology]. Both of these types of reactions are most commonly caused by things like fragrances or preservatives in makeup and other skin care products." [2]

Also the cost of makeup is high, and it is bad for you: There are no reasons to have makeup. [1]

I will try to rebut my opponents arguments in this amount of charecters.

My opponent says that it is attractive, and makes the women feel better about themselves. Honeslty, my opponent's arguments are wrong. Would it feel good if you look like someone else, a new person, and not you. The others will think you look attractive, but you are not. Also, being attractive is not important. Your health is more important.

My opponent says it treats your body well. Thats what you might think, but it makes your skin unhealthy.

For all these reasons, vote for Con.

As far the skin being harmed, there are many things that harmful to our skin. For example, not wearing sunscreen can do a lot of damage. In Fact, a lot of makeup products already come with sunscreen included; they have special ingredients to help moisturize the skin rather than leaving it dry. For example, "Perricone MD" (a foundation) has SPF 30 and has alpha-lipoic acid to diminish the appearances of wrinkles and pores.

If one is well informed of the necessary skin care, you can find a safe way to apply make up. There are common mistakes that women make when wearing makeup, but these can be avoided and it would not be as harmful. For example, we have to remind ourselves that is not about covering flaws but how to work well with our skin.

The cost of makeup is something that we are ready and willing to pay. There might be better things to spend our money on according, but this is something we choose for ourselves. If you choose the correct cosmetics, you will see the benefits.

My opponent claims that feeling attractive is not important, I believe that it is. It gives women a boost on their self confidence. If such a tiny act can give such feeling, why should it be shamed upon? It is something that women choose for themselves. It is something that makes them feel empowered.

Also, my opponent is implying that because I choose to wear makeup I must be unattractive. "The others will think you are attractive, but you are not." Most women wear make up to enhance certain features, not because we dislike them.

I thank my opponent for his arguments and rebuttals, I will go onto my defense.

1. Damage for your skin

My opponent says that other things can harm your skin, including not wearing sunscreen. Yes, you can wear that, but people wear makeup and that harms your skin. My opponent fails to rebut my argument of it harms the skin, which makes it a good idea. My opponent's logic is that because other things harm the skin, no one cares. That is bad logic, and if we do not encourage this, our skin will soon get better.

My opponent says that people wear it wrong. Well because they wear it wrong, it should not be encouraged. My opponent has conceded that also.

2. Cost

My opponent says that it is willing to pay. This is because they did know that it harms your skin. He is also telling me to see the benefits, when he has the BoP and he is the debater and has to show me the proof.

My opponent says it gives women self-confidence. I think this is false. Think about it: Who would have self-confidence when they hide their true selves, with a new layer?

My opponent fails to rebut most of my arguments. Remember, the women are hiding their true identity. Vote for Con.