Chase-Reynolds
MasterKage

marijuana is not a "gateway" drug

MasterKage

Chase-Reynolds

Pro

Marijuana is not a "gatedrug. There is no such thing as a "gateway" drug. Everyone has two choices when it comes to drugs. 1) the choice to try any drug. 2) The choice to continue using. The only "gateway" into harder drugs is your free will itself.
MasterKage

Con

Firstly, I welcome you to debate.org

I accept Pro's challenge.

I will use the first round for acceptance and provide definitions to allow further understanding of this debate.

Also, please note, my all definitions used will be from the Merriam Webster online dictionary.

Marijuana is the dried leaves and flowering tops of the pistillate hemp plant that yield THC and are smoked in cigarettes for their intoxicating effect

A gateway drug is a drug (as alcohol or marijuana) whose use is thought to lead to the use of and dependence on a harder drug (as cocaine or heroin)
Chase-Reynolds

Pro

okay....so you just proved that marijuana has a chemical that creates a euphoric feeling to most living beings here on Earth. However... my argument is the word "gateway" drug.

Since conception, we (yes all of us) have been reliant on "drugs". Think of how our parents got together and procreated in the first place. Just like US, they needed a catalyst. Alcohol...cigarettes...asprin....diet pills...birth control. We grow up taking asprin for head aches, coffe to wake up, pharmacudicals to prevent sickness and allergies, sugar for breakfast, presevitives in our foods etc...

The definition of a DRUG is "Any chemical taken within an organic body that changes the chemistry and emotional respone to that body.

To think that marijuana is a "gateway" drug is ludicrious,considering all the corporations, factories, advertisments, drug stores, grocery stores, friends, and family who that tell you a man made product will solve your problems since we can remember. The "gateway" my friend is not a single product. It is the product of our life experience, our peers, and our influences growing up.

Like I said before.... everyone has two choices when it comes to drugs
MasterKage

Con

I thank Pro for their quite interesting response.

"okay....so you just proved that marijuana has a chemical that creates a euphoric feeling to most living beings here on Earth. However... my argument is the word "gateway" drug."

I was simply laying out of few definitions for the debate.

"Since conception, we (yes all of us) have been reliant on "drugs". Think of how our parents got together and procreated in the first place. Just like US, they needed a catalyst. Alcohol...cigarettes...aspirin....diet pills...birth control. We grow up taking aspirin for head aches, coffee to wake up, pharmacological to prevent sickness and allergies, sugar for breakfast, preservatives in our foods etc..."

I recall that the resolution is Marijuana is not a "gateway" drug, therefore alcohol, cigarettes, diet pills, birth control, and the other various "drugs" you stated are irreverent.
Furthermore, based on SAMHSA's 2003 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 3.1 million persons aged 12 or older used marijuana daily.
More than half of daily marijuana users (53.3%) reported dependence on or abuse of alcohol or an an illicit drug
This is essentially stating half of the people using marijuana went a much harder drug, therefore reinforcing my position.

"To think that marijuana is a "gateway" drug is ludicrous,considering all the corporations, factories, advertisements, drug stores, grocery stores, friends, and family who that tell you a man made product will solve your problems since we can remember. The "gateway" my friend is not a single product. It is the product of our life experience, our peers, and our influences growing up."

All of the above mentioned are society's glamorization of marijuana.
These glamorization's are what get you on marijuana.
I will repost the definioton of gateway drug to further back up my point
A gateway drug is a drug (as alcohol or marijuana) whose use is thought to lead to the use of and dependence on a harder drug (as cocaine or heroin).
So, a gateway drug is essentially using marijuana and getting unsatisfied with it, which you will then seek to find a product which creates a bigger high than marijuana could.
Chase-Reynolds

Pro

Chase-Reynolds forfeited this round.
MasterKage

Con

My opponent has forfeited this round.
Extend all arguments.
Posted by MasterKage 5 years ago
MasterKage
I urge you to post your argument as soon as possible, you don't have much time left.
It would be disappointing to not get to debate you.
Posted by MasterKage 5 years ago
MasterKage
I have posted my rebuttal.
I await your argument; since I have yet to wish you a good luck.
Good luck.
Posted by MasterKage 5 years ago
MasterKage
Vote Placed by Chrysippus 5 years ago
Chrysippus
Chase-ReynoldsMasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had opinions, and a philosophical explanation for this society's dependence on drugs; pity that he was unable to translate that into coherent arguments. Con had much the better arguments, and showed how the bulk of Pro's contentions were both off-topic and incorrect. Conduct also goes Con due to forfeit.
Vote Placed by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
Chase-ReynoldsMasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by innomen 5 years ago
innomen
Chase-ReynoldsMasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: half arsed job by pro.
Vote Placed by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
Chase-ReynoldsMasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: FORFEIT. Sorry Master Kage, i seem to have voted for the wrong side.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
Chase-ReynoldsMasterKageTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff