the_green_believer0.0
Someguy224

marijuana legalization

the_green_believer0.0

Pro

When I attended a local community college a few months ago, I had two teachers that were totally against anything to do with pot so I wrote a paper for each class and totally made their perspectives do a 180. So I think marijuana should be legal because it is a seriously misunderstood plant that can and has saved lives. yeah it can make people lazy and give them the munchies but isn't that better than getting cracked out or plastered and doing things that you wont laugh about but that you will more than likely regret?
Someguy224

Con

I apologize if I am being biased do to my place of residence, but I am going to have to assume that this debate is why Marijuana should or should not be legalized in the United States, and I am going to have to assume you mean using marijuana recreationally, and that is in which my arguments will be based off. If you are speaking about any other country other than the US, please tell me and I will adjust my argument accordingly.

First of all, to clarify, in this debate, I am the con, or-.. I am against the legalization of recreational marijuana use. Now let us begin.

Yes, I have already heard all about how people justify marijuana's legalization, the drug war is expensive, people are smoking it anyway, it isn't fair to tell someone what they can put in their body and so forth. Even having heard all these, I still think that marijuana should not be legalized.

First of all, despite what every marijuana user will tell you, it does majorly affect your mentality and even your physical being. Heart and blood pressure problems, lung problems, depression and impaired mental function are only a few of the side affects I have found while researching.

Also, I would like to clarify ,under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug on the basis that is has "a high potential for abuse."

Meaning the perception is that people get on marijuana, they get hooked and become "potheads," and it begins to dominate their lives. This unquestionably happens in some cases. But it also happens in the case of alcohol--and alcohol is perfectly legal.

In order to win, Pro would need to make and prove the argument that marijuana is not as addictive as government sources claim.

Now my second point.
Marijuana is currently the leading cause of substance dependence other than alcohol in the U.S. In 2008, marijuana use accounted for 4.2 million of the 7 million people aged 12 or older classified with dependence on or abuse of an illicit drug. This means that about two thirds of Americans suffering from any substance use disorder are suffering from marijuana abuse or marijuana dependence.

Now, excuse me if I'm wrong, but this next part is going by what I personally know, you can look it up and verify it true if you wish,
From what I know, the active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (excuse me if that is spelled wrong) or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.
When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience hallucinations, delusions, memory problems, and so on.

Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of your mouth and inside your throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including intense coughing, acute chest illnesses, a bigger risk of lung infections, and obstructed airways.

Also, most, or at least a good amount of marijuana smokers consume a lot less cannabis than cigarette smokers consume tobacco, however this doesn't mean you should ignore the negative effects. Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers typically inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer, when smoking.

This is my argument, and I suppose the rest of the debate will be rebuttals.
the_green_believer0.0

Pro

the_green_believer0.0 forfeited this round.
Someguy224

Con

Someguy224 forfeited this round.
the_green_believer0.0

Pro

Someguy224

Con

Someguy224 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ike-Jin-Park 3 years ago
Ike-Jin-Park
To kshi,

It seems like Pro is also new to this site so I don't see a reason not to.
After all, there are three rounds to this debate, which I guess is very do-able.
Go for it and good luck!
Posted by kshi 3 years ago
kshi
I'm new here and i want to debate, should i join this one?
Posted by Ike-Jin-Park 3 years ago
Ike-Jin-Park
I think this debate will be so much better if you define which country will be discussed.