danjr10
jm_notguilty

marijuana should be legal for rec use

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

danjr10

Pro

I think marijuana should be legal because it has an effect like alcohol and it better health wise than cigarettes. I will further my argument in the next round
jm_notguilty

Con

Good luck!

danjr10

Pro

marijuana should be legal because it is not bad for you at all. it can not kill you and in some cases is good for you
jm_notguilty

Con

I thank my opponent for his response.

Marijuana drug (cannabis): dried leaves and flowers of the hemp plant,usedforitseuphoriceffects,used in cigaretteformasanarcoticor hallucinogen.

Moving on to my opponent’s arguments:

R1: “I think marijuana should be legal because it has an effect like alcohol and it better health wise than cigarettes. I will further my argument in the next round”

R2: “marijuana should be legal because it is not bad for you at all. it can not kill you and in some cases is good for you”

My opponent gave no evidence to support his claims that it has better effects like alcohol and more healthy than cigarettes. He also states that’s it’s not bad for all and that it cannot kill you. These arguments may be considered invalid or unreliable, and nevertheless, I’m here to refute these contentions.

P1: Marijuana has health risks

Marijuana can lead to death cases, for instance, Thomas Geller, an Associate Professor of Child Neurology at the Saint Louis University Health Sciences Center had to discuss a case on 3 deaths, he is what he wrote in an article in April 2004:

"Each of the 3 cannabis-associated cases of cerebellar infarction was confirmed by biopsy (1 case) or necropsy (2 cases)... Brainstem compromise caused by cerebella and cerebral edema led to death in the 2 fatal cases."

{http://pediatrics.aappublications.org... (I will address some arguments there if contested)}.

Next, marijuana can be emotionally and mentally addictive, which can lead to serious problems. Using this drug will place the person on a euphoric state, which can affect the person’s emotions and eventually taking control of them. So basically, if someone is depressed, they can take this drug and feel good again, but the bad part is that once they feel depressed again, it will lead the user to use again and again which results to addiction.

Marijuana kills brain cells, and can lead the person to laziness and may eventually negatively change or destroy a person’s life. Drug addiction via recreational use can lead abuse, which is not good. {http://www.spencerrecovery.com...}

Marijuana also damages the immune system, and studies also suggest that using marijuana habitually may damage the cells in the bronchial passages which protect the body against inhaled microorganisms and reduce the ability of the immune cells in the lungs to fight bacteria off. {http://cyber.law.harvard.edu...}

There are more arguments supporting marijuana’s negative effects on health, (it can even lead to birth problems), I will address them later if contested, but for now, this is enough to assume that marijuana can be a risk to health that can result to serious problems or even death.

P2: Legalization will increase marijuana consumers

If we legalize marijuana, it will surely make them more obtainable and affordable to users and even minors, and as I’ve argued, once it’s accessible, it can lead to bad effects, which is undesirable to society, but if we do not regulate such drug use, we can deter the use and reduce them.

P3: Even if legalized, it can still lead to crime

We can assume that drug users are more likely to commit crime, since they use marijuana to take out the depression of their problems (i.e.: in need of money), so they rob a store or bank. More violent crimes can even occur while the perpetrator is high on drugs.

These are my arguments for now, we can surely assume that marijuana use sure have more risks than its benefits, the harms outweigh the advantages.

Thanks, I await my PRO’s response.

danjr10

Pro

danjr10 forfeited this round.
jm_notguilty

Con

Extend Arguments.
danjr10

Pro

danjr10 forfeited this round.
jm_notguilty

Con

Extend arguments, vote CON.
Posted by danjr10 5 years ago
danjr10
recreational use
Posted by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
Define 'rec' use.

And is the BOP shared?
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
danjr10jm_notguiltyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
danjr10jm_notguiltyTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
danjr10jm_notguiltyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not offer any arguments and forfieted the debate.