phosphatarian
metalfingerz

medical marijuana

phosphatarian

Con

this is a debate on the promotion of marijuana for medicinal usage. claims of marijuana's medical benefits are dangerously misleading in a way that mirrors classic cigarette ads in which doctors would speak of the health benefits of cigarettes. we now all know how silly this claim is because all smoke is harmful no matter what kind of smoke it is. all you have to do to prove this is blow pot smoke directly into a white napkin and if done right, you will see brown residue left behind. its time to stop this cliche lie that smoking is not bad for you. if you want to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes, fine but dont mislead people into thinking that it will help their illness, when it will only hurt them, that is just wrong. medical marijuana has taken the place of snake oil remedies that scam artists used to sell on the street by falsely advertising it as a cure all. im not denying that the chemicals in marijuana such as THC may have benefits, but selling the actual plant its self to be smoked is absurd. no other medicinal drug is smoked for obvious reasons, which shows us how much of a joke medical marijuana is. people who want smoked medical marijuana are a discredit to people who actually need the benefits of the the drug. these people would be more than happy to take the plant in pill or liquid form, but the ones who refuse to take it in pill form are just looking to get high and want the cool factor of the smoke. some people who think they need the drug for medicinal purposes are actually just abusing it, because someone might also believe that a few shots of alcohol in the morning also makes them feel better, but we aren't calling alcohol an alternative medicine. another problem with smoked medical marijuana is that others can inhale the 2nd hand smoke which is unhealthy and may involuntarily impair them. no other medicinal drug has this problem, and tricking people into believing that smoked marijuana will help them is just as bad as making the same claim for alcohol or tobacco. also, i understand that you can cook with/ eat marijuana which is better for you but when you sell the plant its self, theres no way to stop people from smoking it. it also allows them to grow it, which wouldnt benefit society with tax revenue. especially because you can literally grow marijuana in a closet and no one would ever know if you bought the weed youre smoking or if you grew it. in conclusion, if you want to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes, thats one thing but dont call it a medicine.
metalfingerz

Pro

Hey there. I'm having a little trouble understanding...are you just against smoked medical marijuana? or medical marijuana as a whole? I'll argue for both.

Medical Marijuana. Period.

You said yourself, THC has health benefits. It causes hunger in cancer and eating disorder patients, dulls pain in patients experiencing it, and actually GROWS brain cells! (crazy, right?). Marijuana can be ingested for these effects in many ways, INCLUDING pills and edibles, and a doctor would prescribe a patient the best way for THEM to take it. Obviously, no lung cancer patient will be smoking weed to get better. I feel I don't need to argue this too much, because you brought up good points already yourself, so let's get to the main event.

Smoked Marijuana

Alright I'm gonna break down your argument here. You're right, all smoke is harmful. HOWEVER, Marijuana smoke is far less harmful than cigarette smoke, due to its lack of chemicals and the fact that marijuana is smoked far less than cigarettes because less is needed for its effects. Further more, the helpful effects of smoking marijuana FAR outweigh the hurtful effects, so you're wrong about people being "tricked" into thinking it will help them when it will only hurt them. I read about a study done where a hand full of people volunteered to smoke marijuana everyday to see how long it took for the weed to effect their lungs. The result? it was 10 YEARS before any lung function began to decline. Here's the article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com...

just because something has cons doesn't mean there's no pros. I mean, Oxicodone isn't very good for you either, but it is a commonly prescribed pain medication. People can overdose on all kinds of legal prescription meds, but you CAN'T overdose on marijuana. As far as your second hand smoke argument, It's not like a cancer patient is gonna be smoking weed watching TV with their kids, they'd be smoking it in a private environment, probably a hospital, where no others would be harmed. In conclusion, your argument has tons of flaws, but I happily await your rebuttal.
phosphatarian

Con

i will break my rebuttals down into bullet points that are more easy to understand for people who may currently be taking their prescription ;)

1. once again, the debate is over the use of marijuana (the plant) for medical use.
2. yes i said THC has benefits, so if you would like to put THC in pill form and prescribe that, it would be fine and i believe it is already in existence but no other medicinal drug is smoked.
3. nicotine and caffeine have medical benefits but we dont refer to cigarettes and cola as alternative medicines.
4. tobacco and alcohol can be ingested in many ways as well. you can make a drink out of them, cook with them, and you can even mix alcohol with dry ice and inhale the steam to get drunk which may be fun and all but we still dont call them alternative medicines, they are recreational drugs just like marijuana.
5.smoking a medicine is never a "best way to take it" you could maybe put THC in an inhaler if you want to inhale it though and it would work just like smoke without the side effects.
6.im comparing marijuana smoke to all smoke, not just cigarettes. all smoke is bad just as you said. i could also compare marijuana to tobacco that doesn't have added chemicals.
7.ive heard all kinds of claims, statistics and studies on marijuana that oppose everything youre saying such as marijuana having 3 times the tar that cigarettes have, THC weakening your immune system etc. but unlike you, i choose not to believe everything i hear and read which is why i am not posting all kinds of random stats as you are. i dont want people to have to trust mine or someone elses word, i want them to use their own reasoning and see if they can follow my logic. so my argument allows people to rely purely on their own reasoning while yours forces them to trust someone elses findings. most people including yourself understand that smoke is bad for you and that is all that you need to know in order to conclude that marijuana shouldnt be touted as a medicine, it should be treated like a recreational drug and people should be aware of its dangers. anything else is false advertisement.
8.it doesnt matter how many health benefits pot has, it should be put in pill form like every other medicinal drug. theres no reason to smoke it, we dont live in the stone age anymore.
9.once again, i dont buy into all these stats and studies but i cant believe that youre acting like its not a bad thing that lung function declines after 10 yrs of smoking.
10.i didnt say pot has no pros but just think of how much more unhealthy oxicodone would be if it were taken in smoke form. in pill form you can have the benefits without the harmful side effects.
11.theres medicine that you can and cant overdose on but none of them are in smoke form.
12.my friend that has a card to buy medical marijuana smokes with other people in the room. i could see many idiots smoking in the house with kids or their kids coming in the room before the smoke has cleared up.
metalfingerz

Pro

metalfingerz forfeited this round.
phosphatarian

Con

Well, my opponet has neglected to respond to my argument in round 2 so I will conclude my argument. First I want to make it clear that I'm not bashing marijuana, I just don't think its right to promote smoking including pot for medicinal use. Once again, my argument wasn't against legalizing marijuana or criminalizing people who use it. I have friends who smoke pot who are good people that agree with me that pot is bad for you and even my opponet has confirmed that pot smoke is bad for you. I only wanted to point out the misconception that marijuana smoke is healthy, therefore we shouldn't call it a medicinal drug. I don't promote smoking marijuana but I know people will so I think they should know the risks.
Thank you and please help me out by voting for con.
metalfingerz

Pro

metalfingerz forfeited this round.