nolsog
imsmarterthanyou98

modern medicine is slowing down or stopping human evolution?

nolsog

Pro

Hello. I will start be saying this is my very first debate so be patient with me as I learn the process. The topic is modern medicine influence on the evolution of man. This debate is not about evolution versus intelligent design. By participating in this debate, you are agreeing that evolution is taking place.

Evolution occurs because a genetic change (mutation) occurs that make an organism more adapted to its environment. This would make the organism more successful and lead to it having more offspring. The mutation will be handed down to these offspring. This process continues through the generations leading to new species of plants, animals, bacteria, and virus. The following is an example and a product of my imagination. I am not saying that this actually happened. A semi aquatic animal similar to a hippo had a spontaneous mutation that resulted in its nostrils being farther back on its head. This animal would have been better suited to a marine lifestyle, since it would not have had to completely surface to breathe. This animal would have been more successful and had more offspring. In later generations, more genetic changes occurred, moving the nose farther back on the head. Other body parts of early whales also changed. Front legs became flippers. Back legs disappeared. Their bodies became more streamlined and they developed tail flukes to better propel themselves through water. Thousands of years later, we have modern day whales.

I position is that modern medication is having a negative impact on human evolution. My opponent must take the opposite position and argue that modern medicine is having either a positive effect on human evolution or at the very least not having an effect at all on human evolution.

There will be 4 rounds. This first round is just the opponent agreeing to join the debate. Round 2 will be our initial arguments. Round 3 will be rebuttals. Round 4 will be closing arguments

I look forward to a pleasant exchange of views.
imsmarterthanyou98

Con

nolsog

Pro

nolsog forfeited this round.
imsmarterthanyou98

Con

imsmarterthanyou98 forfeited this round.
nolsog

Pro

nolsog forfeited this round.
imsmarterthanyou98

Con