nargiz_gab
jumidar

modern schools kill creativity

nargiz_gab

Pro

The system of education is still operating like in times of USSR, creating new generations of workers without their own point of view or without will to change anything. Schools align subjects by order of importance, not concerning predispositions of students and the result is 5 math or native language classes per week and 1 class of art or music. Over the time, this schedule is pressing individual affinities back, not leaving time to develop any skills which are required for work in system.
jumidar

Con

Independent high schools are offered in a variety of locations, giving students access to an independent learning style. The student is motivated by his or her own interests, not by the assignments of the teacher. This sparks creativity, for they must come up with new ways to challenge themselves. Also, the range of independent study courses is vast; students won't be learning only the subjects the school wants them to, as my opponent states, but a large variety of preferred topics. These classes can be taken online as well, giving the student a better atmosphere to learn in, creating more creativity. "Artists, dancers, athletes, and actors have all benefited from an independent study high school". Not only can you enroll in an independent high school, but you can take independent courses in any high school. Being that this is a school type, and it offers creativity, I successfully negate the resolution.
nargiz_gab

Pro

ok, i see your point of view, but. For the start, I would like to tell one story.
During the class, while teacher was talking lecture, one girl from the back of the class was drawing. When teacher asked her what she was drawing, she relied "God". Teacher was surprised and said "But nobody knows how God looks like". In some point of view, it is correct as nobody has ever seen him, but for the girls imagination, it was silly, so she replied "Then, they will now find out".

What I mean is that, schools are limiting our imagination, and whatever do not fit in the previous shapes, is considered as wrong. There are numerous examples of geniuses like Einstein or even Gitler, who was genius too, being taken as fools just because their opinions were different form standart and people by theirs nature are afraid of unknown. Our system education is linear and focused not on developing variety of opinions but on standardization.
jumidar

Con

My opponent keeps arguing that the system is linear and has no way to create creativity, but these are merely his opinions. He has not shown a poll, source, or otherwise that would support his case, only what he thinks. Keep in mind that it is the burden of nargizgab's to show how schools kill creativity. His only claims are that since they force them to work from a curriculum, that it stifles the creativity. How? Just because someone is in a math class, doesn't mean it can't be creative. It's up to the teacher to implement ways to make it creative. I, and I am sure many of the reader's, have had teachers that make things much more fun to learn about through a much more creative medium; taking walks on a nice day and doing class outside is an example.

While my opponent has given nothing to base his opinions off of, I have given a point that schools extend creativity, which wasn't refuted.
nargiz_gab

Pro

My opponent said "These classes can be taken online as well, giving the student a better atmosphere to learn in, creating more creativity." It is not a matter of place where are you creating, but how well your product is accepted. For example, as it was described in my story, creating something that doesn't exist and isn't approved by society is automatically declined.

Why we do not organize schools by the Gardner's theory of multiple intelligence? Do you really think that one system of education is enough for millions of students, which are all different as a persons, to show their full potential? The challenge is discovering how to create environments where creativity is generated with enthusiasm and purpose.

Creativity is its own reward. We can not measure it or give marks from 1 to 10 for it. Creativity isn't about upgrading thinks, or in our case knowledge but in showing some new approaches to the problems or new points of view which can help to overwhelm existing issues.
Thank you
jumidar

Con

it was nargizgab's burden to give examples of how schools kill creativity. All he states is that our system is monotonous, and throughout the whole debate gives no sources or proper refutations.

My opponents tries arguing in round 3 that one system of education isn't enough for millions of diverse students; this, however, is refuted by my independent high school contention. Each student enrolls in the plethora of classes that best suit their own creative needs. My opponent even says "...in showing some new approaches to the problems..." I have done this with independent high schools. These are schools located in high numbers across many countries, and they help creativity grow like it's a plant and they are miracle grow.