ibrahim_kazi
GojanTorresque

modern technology

GojanTorresque
Started: 5/16/2013 Category: Technology

ibrahim_kazi

Pro

i belive that modern technology has helped us a lot to the new world
GojanTorresque

Con

Since my opponent hasn't yet posted any true points, I will restrict this round to a summary of what I will be arguing:

While technology as a whole has certainly provided countless benefits to humanity, and individual technologies are still providing benefits, "modern" technology largely does more harm than good. Note that this is a general rule, not a statement or claim about all modern technology.
ibrahim_kazi

Pro

ibrahim_kazi forfeited this round.
GojanTorresque

Con

For the sake of this argument, I am using a somewhat flexible definition of "modern" but for the most part it boils down to "the most recent block of a given type of technology". Every technology reaches a point where it's maximum good is surpassed, and it starts being used for less beneficial purposes.

Many weapons for example, got their start for hunting or more important war, but are now used largely for crime and needless fighting
ibrahim_kazi

Pro

ibrahim_kazi forfeited this round.
GojanTorresque

Con

Most technologies provide great benefits up to a certain point. Weapons can be used for hunting or self defense. Medicine saves lives. Electronics provide unparalleled information transfer, storage, and gathering. Vehicles provide excellent transportation. However, those same technologies, if taken farther or made too widespread, induce unparalleled laziness and the, metaphorically speaking, Devolution of the society we live in. Weapons are now used more for crime and shows of force than for hunting or defense. Machinery once used for sustenance farming is used to reap profits and push smaller farmers out of business. Medical technology is used for "better" drugs that will make businesses a bigger profit, and to keep alive people that, as sad as it is, will never recover, and merely place a drain on their families and others around them. Computers discourage movement and proper language skills. People today are less in-shape(My 70 year old grandfather is more in shape than most 20 year olds today), less literate, more rude(from the veil of anonymity the Internet gives), more self-entitled, and more lazy than likely ever before, and crimes run rampant as people try to get better and better "toys" from others. In short, the luxuries that modern technology provides does provide benefits, but in it's most modern forms, most of it provides more downside, in the form of making us "soft", self-entitled, greedy, rude, and arrogant.
Posted by GojanTorresque 4 years ago
GojanTorresque
I did not start my post until the timer was at 2 minutes due to the system repeatedly telling me to "check back in a few minutes", so my round 2 post is incomplete.
Posted by Zealous1 4 years ago
Zealous1
So... What's the point of this debate?
Posted by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
Good luck on your first debate.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
ibrahim_kaziGojanTorresqueTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF for argument and conduct. spelling from the punctuation errors in round 1.