vi_spex
TheCritic89

morality=right+intent

vi_spex

Pro

any right actions is moral
TheCritic89

Con

Morality equals right plus intent. It's a simple statement that I'm assuming can be expanded to say, "The morality of an action is based in the right to do so plus the intent to do so."

This sounds like quite the subjective view on morality whereas morality is not subjective. Morality is objective.

Morality can not be subjective without logically progressing to the nonexistence of any true morality.

So, with Morality equals right plus intent. I'd say this is a false statement because it starts with a few "rights" I don't feel exist outside the confines of a social contract or a religion. There are no rights that exist that are not given unless they are based in an absolute morality understanding. If it's a right, it must be based on something objective. As far as intent goes, I would put that more towards ethics. Here I define morality as determining whether an action is right or wrong. I define ethics as the conflict between two moral absolutes.
vi_spex

Pro

right is objective

rocks are not immoral nor moral.. no intent

so are you saying there is a right that is immoral?
TheCritic89

Con

No, my argument is more centered on how morality is not simply a right to do something plus the intention to do it. However, your question in round 2 I could take some issue. There are absolutely rights that an argument could be made for being immoral. Obviously, abortion is a heavily debated right. However, the point even behind that argument that I'm trying to demonstrate as showing that morality is more complex than right plus intent is that rights are subjective to begin with.

Morality can not be simply right plus intent because rights are determined through moral reasoning. They are only inherent insomuch as the right is based in moral absolutism.
vi_spex

Pro

abortion is moral because human nature is complicated by the machine.. introducing a complex equation to prove what math is, is always unnecessary

lies are complicated by separation and true is simple now as one

you dont make sense
TheCritic89

Con

Well, this is a debate. It's suppose to center on something; though we have shifted around quite a bit. I suppose I need to address what you have written in round 3 so people can vote.

Introducing a complex equation to prove what math is is unnecessary? On the contrary, that sounds like the definition of a mathematical proof. I didn't make anything more complex than it needed to be. Morality is as complex a subject as one exists. I would say, and I would guess anyone reading a debate on the subject would also say, that it is definitely more complex than "morality= right+intent." Based off my previous rounds, I think I've demonstrated that.

"Lies are complicated by separation and true is simple now as one"

I'm not quite sure how this statement addresses anything in this debate.

"You don't make sense."

I don't think you've shown that this statement is valid here.

"Abortion is moral because human nature is complicated by the machine."

I'd say this statement, irrespective of the morality of abortion, is probably as sound as it is clear in its message.

Though, I'm still not sure entirely what it is your original position was, I think having made an attempt to clarify your position as well as address its flaws still stands.
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
vi_spex
which right action is immoral?
Posted by TheCritic89 3 months ago
TheCritic89
I'm not here to make a religious argument for morality, if that's what you were hoping for.
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
vi_spex
con is a counter position
Posted by LatinWord 3 months ago
LatinWord
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound. Your "argument" was half a sentence long, and a question to my argument that I answered in it. But your incapability to process what I said resulted in you sounding like you have no idea to what you're talking about.
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
vi_spex
i have provided my proposition.. your inability to argue or debate is a question that remains as to what you are doing on this website

con is religious
Posted by LatinWord 3 months ago
LatinWord
You made the exact same debate topic as last time, and you provided no points whatsoever. (Also why is it under the religion category)?
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
vi_spex
left hand movement
Posted by Stupidape 3 months ago
Stupidape
What about left actions?
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
vi_spex
your claim is equal to rocks not being real
Posted by vi_spex 3 months ago
vi_spex
no king is knife resistant, no king is a god