Joel_Asher
simmyjaye

movie jumper

Con Tied Pro

Joel_Asher

Con

Jumper was an alright movie, but It needed more action which is what the fans were looking for . the key elements to the movie that were missing were its lack of good action, its lack of actually rivalry, and the main character was not someone to even like. He was morally wrong and too much of a pretty boy who could not fight through lack of experience. everyone liked griffin better. If you have seen the movie talk to me. change my mind please.
simmyjaye

Pro

Thanks for starting the debate. What you are debating is somewhat unclear. I have taken your position on the debate to be "Jumper is a weak / disappointing film", so I will debate from the position that "Jumper is a good film".

I will begin by responding to your first post, one statement at a time.

- Jumper was an alright movie -

No need for me to respond, since this statement seems against your own side of the debate.

- It needed more action -

I disagree: 'Jumper' has action set pieces spread evenly throughout the film, to my mind, as frequently as in most films of the same genre. In addition, some of the action (when it hits full-throttle) is quite spectacular; a dazzling sequence in which two characters fight for possession of a detonator, between a busy road, the Empire State Building and the pyramids, was particularly impressive.

- its lack of actually rivalry -

I will concede this point, I agree.

- He [the main character] was morally wrong and too much of a pretty boy who could not fight through lack of experience.

The main character being morally wrong pretty boy who lacks fighting skills does not, to my mind, present an argument for the film being weak.

- everyone liked griffin better. -

Some great films have had sidekicks who are more engaging than the main heroes, so this isn't a flaw: think Han Solo.

Now I will add my thoughts on the film.

By no means is Jumper a 'great' action film. I would argue, however, that as a teleportation-themed popcorn flick, it worked. Jamie's Bell's performance as Griffin is charismatic and adds a layer of charm missing from the leads. The action sequences are impressively edited and exciting. It's not overlong.

Hardly a layered film. On its own terms, I believe the film is good. (If this is, indeed, the opposite of your position. Please clarify.)
Joel_Asher

Con

No my argument really wasnt an argument I needed more perspective on my point of view. I focused too much on the disappointment of pretty boy getting captured every encounter he had with the paladins. I would not see griffin as a sidekick I would consider pretty boy the annoying 1970s robin. Griffin is what made the movie good. I mean the action was great with him teleporting vehicles at people imgine the possiblities it could almost turnout like a movie that is with anime qualities. Huge fights huge objects being thrown, close combat teleporting within a small room. I did like roland except at the end the way he acted seeing he was on a cliff. but if they make a second one, either pretty boy has a couple years experience or no pretty boy at all. Roland kick ssa every where so does PBs mom and sweet teleprting but doubt they shall make a second one. perspective?
simmyjaye

Pro

"Griffin is what made the movie good."

This reverses your position, in my view, since I assumed you thought the movie was bad.

If we are arguing on the same side, this is no longer a debate.

Indeed, you state, "No my argument wasnt an argument." Unfortunately, this website contains nothing BUT arguments. Your general discussions about film are better suited to message boards at imdb.com. It's a great site, arguably (!!) the best movie resource ever. Have fun!

As my opponent agrees with my position, I declare the debate over in favour of 'Jumper' being a good film.
Joel_Asher

Con

Joel_Asher forfeited this round.
simmyjaye

Pro

As my opponent has not made the posting deadline (and seemed to have agreed with my position last time anyway), I again declare the debate over in favour of 'Jumper' being a good film.
Posted by Conspicuous_Conservative 8 years ago
Conspicuous_Conservative
totally agree please also speak of the poor acting by Aniken Skywalker, OMG he sucks.
Vote Placed by b3rk 8 years ago
b3rk
Joel_AshersimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by wooferalot101 8 years ago
wooferalot101
Joel_AshersimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by proaz 8 years ago
proaz
Joel_AshersimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by dxpilot 8 years ago
dxpilot
Joel_AshersimmyjayeTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 8 years ago
kenicks
Joel_AshersimmyjayeTied